Ram used in idle

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I am idling at around 5-5.5 GB of ram which seems pretty high. I have 16 GB so it is no problem at all, in fact I would like it to use a lot of ram if need be, but is it normal to use that much? I had a bunch of web pages open and it was around 6 gigs, I closed everything and it stayed around the same, maybe 5.75 gigs. I read that the computer tries to keep stuff in ram whenever possible.

9a79c13a2d96e47e49230952aa2f8a57.png

Only 1 application open, google chrome. Under processes, there are a bunch of crome.exe's which is fine and something called "agent.exe" description "installshield update service agent". I'd assume that is an update manager of some kind though I don't remember installing that. Is it worth keeping? Is it a problem? What about the ram, too much used, not enough, just fine, etc?

spawnkiller

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
i see that you have 74 processes running at idle so that's why it need 5gb (i use about 4gb at idle with 16gb ram)

Also more ram = more cache for the HDD/SSD so more ram usage

You could try to see what processes use more memory by going to processes and clicking on used memory to sort them in order... If that process isn't important kill it and try to disable the auto-startup for this one (or all you don't need)

Each Chrome tab appear like different processes and need about 50 to 100mb each and when you load a video (youtube) or going to facebook (my FB use about 350mb and up to 1gb of ram in game) the amount of ressources needed is way higher...

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Here's the full list:

ca909d2e31f190e247063def20fb28c8.png

So a bunch of chrome for the tabs and such, fine. Origin (for BF3) ok. A few system ones, not sure exactly what they do but I imagine they are important for one reason or another. Teamviewer, fine, saitek, fine, gmail notifier, yup, avg, fine. That's all I recognize.

Edit: and Gyazo for screen grabs, fine

It's not showing all process, see that checkbox at the bottom that says "Show processes from all users" click it. Ram usage does not include the cached amount. See where is says free:1547, 9gb is cache which it also says, 5.6gb is currently in use. Add those 3 together and you get your total 16gb.