Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Experience

Last response: in CPUs
July 12, 2002 1:44:35 PM

Ok, I want to know if anybody has had any experience before. I'm soon gonna be getting a P4 system that I'd like to overclock. Now I need your guys' previous experience to help me.

First. I want to overclock to at least 133MHz on a P4 1.8A. I don't think that should be too hard. I'd like to take it to 145MHz FSB, which would equal about 2.6GHz. Is that realistic? I've seen people with thier 1.8As higher than that, but I'm only gonna be using the stock HSF.

Ok, that leads me to the second part of my question. Would basically any PC2700 RAM allow me to overclock to DDR386 at CAS2.5? If I uses a 3:4 FSB:RAM ratio, with the 145MHz FSB, I'll be running at DDR386. I'm hoping it will, or I may get PC3200 and try to run that at CAS2. So, I need anyone's personal experience with overclocking their PC2700.

P.S. BTW, I've heard that 2 sticks of 256MB would overclock better than 1 stick of 512MB? Is this true?

(I know this should go in the overclocking section, but not many people visit there compared to here.)

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2002 2:31:57 PM

Quote:
First. I want to overclock to at least 133MHz on a P4 1.8A. I don't think that should be too hard. I'd like to take it to 145MHz FSB, which would equal about 2.6GHz. Is that realistic? I've seen people with thier 1.8As higher than that, but I'm only gonna be using the stock HSF.

expected overclocking for a P4 1.8A (80%): avg 2.7Ghz@150Mhz with stock HSF & correct DDR memory.

Quote:
Ok, that leads me to the second part of my question. Would basically any PC2700 RAM allow me to overclock to DDR386 at CAS2.5? If I uses a 3:4 FSB:RAM ratio, with the 145MHz FSB, I'll be running at DDR386. I'm hoping it will, or I may get PC3200 and try to run that at CAS2. So, I need anyone's personal experience with overclocking their PC2700.

IMO i am not sure of the utility of those ratios when you overclock. personally i prefer to keep synchronizing with the cpu. i don't recommend you trying overclocking with generic memory. IMO Hangs-up are straight rear the corner. versus you can easily reach those values with some samsung & personally i think you can go above with some Corsair XMS3200 sticks. (but they are rather more expensive than samsung) at least imo you can use easily Corsair XMS3200 with CAS2 @ 166Mhz FSB. it is stipulated by their specs. <A HREF="http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/products/specs/CMX512..." target="_new">Corsair specs</A>

Quote:
P.S. BTW, I've heard that 2 sticks of 256MB would overclock better than 1 stick of 512MB? Is this true?

not exactly.. one stick of 512MB is better because you lower the latency than with 2 sticks. (it is the case for some CAS2 memory)

sign linguage - SSL/HAL.
July 12, 2002 4:25:27 PM

Hey, you're Canadian, where do you get Samsung or Corsair RAM? I've not found any Corsair and Samsung seems to hard to get too.

Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2002 4:50:49 PM

i've just received my XMS3200, i've to install it now. :cool: but i'm French not Canadian. :p  :smile:
i think AMD_Man may answer you on this one ...

whatsoever you have NewEgg.com. oops no sorry they don't ship outside the US.

i've plugged my home blower to my case ... dunno what happen ... that works?!?
July 12, 2002 4:54:45 PM

Wait, you live in France???!!! Well newegg.com doesn't ship internationally, so unfortunately that's outta the question. I think I found some at ncix.com... so I'm gonna check it out. Yeah, I'll ask AMD_Man.

July 12, 2002 5:48:24 PM

Hmmm... I found some Samsung PC2700 off of ncix.com. It's priced at $218CDN. I think I might go for that. I'm not an extreme overclocker, so I don't think that the Corsair RAM is really worth it for me. Anyone else have any comments?

July 12, 2002 6:59:34 PM

I use the Samsung PC2700, and love it. I have no trouble running it at CAS2 151FSB. I had a link to a PC2700 test where Samsung actually owned, looking...

<font color=purple>I'd like to thank my Audigy, VIA KT333 & ATI for teaching me the dangers of drivers</font color=purple>
July 12, 2002 7:01:03 PM

On a side note, what would be faster:

P4 1.8A @ 133MHz FSB = 2.4B w/ DDR354

or:

P4 1.8A @ 150MHz FSB = 2.7GHz w/ DDR300.

or something in between:

P4 1.8A @ 125MHz FSB = 2.25GHz w/ DDR333.

I'd like to know, cause if I can't get to DDR386, at least those 3 settings will probably be guaranteed. Hopefully :lol:  .

July 12, 2002 7:02:28 PM

<A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Memory/HighPerfDDR/" target="_new">Ahhh...Here it is</A>

I think you couldn't go wrong either way, hope this helps.

<font color=purple>I'd like to thank my Audigy, VIA KT333 & ATI for teaching me the dangers of drivers</font color=purple>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2002 7:49:53 PM

Quote:
Conclusion of the Memory Roundup test
The competition is really intense here as only the best DDR SDRAM out there will make their way into this roundup. Samsung PC2700 emerged as the top performing DDR SDRAM currently under most aggressive memory timings and SPD tests. However, the downside is that Samsung PC2700 need to be properly burned in to attain this kind of results so it may not work out too well for some. Next up is Corsair XMS2700 which performs very well too and overclockers just need to get this RAM, plug it into the system and it will run flawlessly so no hassle of burning in is required. Mushkin PC2700 although with a lower memory voltage performs well too reaching the level of the top performer of the previous roundup, the Winbond PC2700. Micron PC2700 still has more headroom to improve as the newly revised DDR SDRAM have just been announced a couple of days ago. KingMax PC2700 hit a brick wall at 180Mhz FSB at 2-2-2-5-1 but performs very well with Auto SPD.

yup, Samsung is very good but needs burn in, not Corsair. this could explain some loss from time to time in overclocking with Samsung memory.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2002 3:19:38 AM

this is a good question. not easy to figure it out.

which is the premium efficiency between the FSB & the memory bus?

ouch! i think i have to test it with a bench. i am looking among THG reviews. there is maybe a clue somewhere...

July 13, 2002 1:06:58 PM

Yeah, if no one knows, I'll just try all the scenarios out. See if there's a difference.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2002 2:06:36 PM

YEah! Try It!

July 13, 2002 2:15:48 PM

Thanks a lot for you help! :smile:

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2002 7:02:59 PM

whatsoever i don't know the response but i would be recognizing to know it.
maybe simply a link or a way to follow ... ?

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2002 3:47:09 AM

for example what is theoretical faster using a i845G chipset?

FSB 160 - ratio 4:5 - DDR400

or

FSB 175 - ratio 1:1 - DDR350

(with same memory settings)

Thanks.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2002 6:23:41 AM

i am searching among the reviews but i didn't find it yet. :( 

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2002 11:50:50 AM

i am a bit deceived not to find it. :) )

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 14, 2002 11:51:09 AM

i am a bit deceived not to find it. :( (

!