Vista to 7 to HD Crash - Fresh install? Kindly help

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Hi, ( I searched Google but conflicting answers everywhere, anyone know the answer for sure?)

I had the Windows Vista OEM Version installed on my old HD. I then bought the Windows 7 Home Premium (Upgrade from Vista ) version that came with discs for both the 32Bit and 64Bit version.

My hard drive crashed (or seems that way) so I have the order page up on amazon for a new HD. I'm just wondering if I'm going to be able to install this Windows 7 on my new HD without any issues?

The only ones I can imagine are CD-Key issues being that it's installed on my old HD. Or, since the Vista one was OEM, maybe that will conflict with this 7 version? It doesn't say that the WIndows 7 version I have is OEM or anything. I think it's the official one other than it's an "upgrade" from Vista. Man, talk about complicating things Microsoft :lol:

Appreciate the help. I really want to avoid buying another Windows 7 for $100.00...

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I have the discs for both vista and the windows 7.

The issue actually is..I bought a board and my hard drive is so old it doesn't work with it. It just boots to a blue scren and then tries to repair itself. But it was working fine right before I switched the board.

That's why I'm in this situation. I haven't tried switching the board back and testing the hd but I would imagine it works.

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I'm sure it will but that will be a lot of work since I replaced the graphics card, memory, and CPU too. I would have to change the way the screws are placed In the computer too.

I think I might just spend the 100. This is too much work at this point :/

Thanks anyways

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
It boots to a blue screen for a second and then tries to repair itself. It goes into windows repair and does that for a while. Then it says it can't repair it. So it offers restore which doesn't work.

I've read somewhere that old hard drives have a tough time with new boards.

Is this true?

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
That's the other issue, apparently my cd rom is too old for this board. It has a cd rom cable that is too huge and outdated to place anywhere on my board. I ordered one that should be here tomorrow. I will try that before I open the new hard drive. Thanks a lot. Ill post back tomorrow and see if your still around :)

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Hey Scout,

Just got the the stuff from Amazon. Installing windows 7 now but need to hit the sack soon. Thanks for sticking around ill update you to tomorrow or maybe tonight.

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Hey Scout,

Anyway I can pay you over paypal? :) . So heres the deal. Microsoft gave me a new product key so I was able to install Windows 7. Everything is running smoothly except for one thing.. And this is no longer a Windows issue so maybe I should stop posting here..

But, I bought two hard drives. a 128GB SDD that I installed the OS on which is working amazingly. And a 750GB HD that is not reconigzed. I felt the HD in the computer and it's warm so I know it's got power. I plugged it in using a new SATA cable that came with the SDD drive.

Here are my questions.

1. Do I need to change a setting or lookin Bios or install something in order for it to show?

2. Are there different types of Sata cables that work with newer/older hard drives and not with others?

Thanks again! I really appreciate this.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
what is the bios settings for this ahci or ide for sata and check under the control panel under peripheral for a ? mark on this drive,try to detect new material also use the new sata cable that came with the ssd with it and get a regular sata cable for the hdd. give a look at your motherboard user manual you could need to use jumper on some drive .thanks for the intent for paypal but i already got my reward helping you ,this forum is for free help from all it's members .

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Interesting. It's actually showing in devices as a hard drive with the correct GB space. under Control panel > Hardware and Sound > devices and printers that is. So it realizes it's there but I can't access it. It must have to do with Bios settings. i will check real quick.