Now hard is it to migrate CPUs?

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Hello, I'm currently running an Athlon 1400 on an AMB760 chipset with DDR ram, and I'm considering migrating my system to a P4 with RAMBUS and an attendant motherboard, how difficult would it be to perform this change while keeping my current OS installation and all my other expansion cards (Geforce3, SB Live) and keep the same hard drive. Would the change of chip be transparent to the rest of the computer or would I need to reinstall everything? Thanks in advance.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I think that as long as you don't do anything to your HDD and took out all the needed stuff, you can just put in a mobo with a P4 and some RDRAM and justmplug everything back in. I think that would work.(?)

Also, one thing to think about, you could get a DDR RAM mobo and use the current RAM you have.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've never had a problem doing it myself. For the most part, it'll be transparent. I say for the most part because if you're running Windows, Windows may or may not try to keep settings for the 'old' hardware. I've seen it go both ways. So sometimes you have to go into the Device Manager and teach Windows a thing or two about just what hardware is and isn't there.

In general though, it's typically been a breeze whenever I've done stuff like that.

<A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/171.htm" target="_new">The corpse you find may be your own.</A> - Black Mage

Hoolio

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Windows sometimes load the new drivers and the old drivers into memory, this does not cause any conflicts but sometimes causes longer load time for windows and higher memory useage.

I dont think this is too much of a problem when using windows 2000 and up.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
It will be nearly impossible without an os reinstall, swapping motherboards of the same chipset is hard enough.

What your talking about is windows starting and EVERYTHING will be different, it it dosent bsod on boot it will certainly run like crap once windows loads, do yourself a favor and back up your data and do a full os reinstall on the new hardware.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink: