Spontaneous shut downs-voltage problem?

lazlong

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2003
Not sure where to post this so here goes:

Athlon 2400/Asus A7N8X deluxe/1GB PC3200/Win XP corp/Koolance liquid cooled system running nice and cool.

I am having spontaneous shutdowns, always (it seems so far) during CD or DVD spin up, such as during software installation etc. The system just turns itself off with no preamble at all. Down.
I, using the Asus Probe software that came with the motherboard, have noticed that the +5V voltage monitor shows it fluctuating whereas the +3V and others are not. I upped the allowable error from 10% to 15% (maximum) and yet the problems persists, though possibly less frequently.

The power supply is and Enermax 430 watt basic whisper variety. Is a vlotage fluctuation sign of a defective power supply and can that fluctuation cause the shut downs I am experiencing?

I should say I have built two of these systems exactly the same and the other system has no problems and the voltage also appears stable as can be. Same power supply in both.

Any advice please?

Thanks
Rob Ostrander
Burlington, Vermont

CyberMuZ

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
It appears that the CD-ROM's motor spinning up is sending the system over the edge as far as having enough power to run everything. As always I would check for bad connections, kinked wires and shorts just to eliminate the possibility.

If the power supply is still under warranty, return it. If not try another one and see if it happens again.

The best power supplies I recommend are the PC Power and Cooling Turbocool 510ATX-PFC. I have never seen one of these even flucuate. I know some of the engineers as they are relativaly close to me and these guys know what they are doing. They aren't "Cheap" but well worth a couple extra $$$.

Hope this helps :)

Viva La Revolution!
-
AMD AthlonXP 2200+ / 1GB kingston DDR 2700 / GF4 TI 4600 / IBM Deskstar 60GB x2 RAID0 / SB Audigy