Overclocking Duron???!

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
As I've written several days ago, I want to know if you could share any experience on overclocking Duron 1 GHz or 1.1 GHz with no changing the CPU multiplier and voltage, but only by increasing the FSB rate. I'm talking about Elitegroup 730 or 740 mobo, with 133 MHz SDRAM.

I doubt you'll get it stable increasing the FSB without increasing the processor voltage a little, but anything is possible. Why are you negative on voltage increase, does the MB not give you that option, also just increasing FSB speeds will increase processor temps past what a standard heatsink/fan can handle, be prepared for that. Do you already have the MB and Processor, or thinking about buying those particular ones?

You never know what you can do until you try.

Cruiser

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
Actually there´s no need to raise the voltage, the Morgan Duron's can easily run on a much lower voltage than 1,75v. Raising the Vcore creates much more heat than raising the FSB, and with the Duron able to run on a low voltage, heat will not be a problem. It won´t be the voltage or heat that stops a good Duron overclock, but the FSB the system can handle. Most Durons run stable at a 110-112MHz FSB at 1,4-1,5v. Try setting your FSB to 110 or 112MHz and lower your voltage to 1,5v, I bet you´ll love it, running stable and much COOLER!

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Thank you, guys.
I haven't seen the mobo yet. My friend thinks it's Elitegroup 730 or 740. When I see it, I'll try to increase the bus speed. I doubt it has the opportunity to change the voltage. And I don't want to draw on the CPU chip to unlock the multiplier.