Intel to stop 2.8Ghz release

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Well well, it seems processors are getting too fast, according an article on The Register. It appears that Windows 2000/XP don't care much for Intel's 2.8GHz chip. Windows 2000 crashes, and XP performs badly. There's even a suggestion that Intel may quietly take the 2.8GHz prod out of the limelight. It seems unlikely to me, I suppose, as Intel had plans to blow past 3GHz by years end.

I wonder how Microsoft will address this issue? I mean we can't just stop where we are now! Noone will buy a chip that doesn't work. Can buggy Microsoft fix this somehow? ANY THOUGHTS?

Read about it at The Inquirer http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4423<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nja469 on 07/15/02 03:59 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Wait, wait, wait! This can't be! Is this a hardware issue or a software one? It might be that the Northwood can't run at 2.8GHz at 1.5V.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
According to the article, it's the Windows 2000 and XP software, not the hardware. I have no idea about windows 98, but ick.. who wants to use that bag of old code.

Also, I don't think it has anything with the chips voltage, as the article also stated this problem affects Athlons to some degree at high clock speeds. This is really crappy, I mean something needs to be worked out here! We have faster and faster Pentium 4's coming - AMD's Barton, which according to an Article on the register yesterday AMD engineers said it won't have a FSB increase, the hammer will, but the barton will use hammer optimizations and, get this, 128K L1 cache and 512K L2 cache! Intel's Prescott chip, which is supposed to be a speed demon. Also we have the clawhammers, but maybe XP 64-bit isn't affected? I don't know, I do know this is crappy if operating systems become a limiting factor in processor speed scaling. What's next? Memory or hard drive transfer rates get too fast for windows?! Blah.... thoughts ppl.

chuck232

I think that <A HREF="http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144407" target="_new">this</A> is a good decription of the article. BS.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
This is a problem with Windows and occurs with processors faster than 2.4 GHz in clockspeed. Microsoft does have a hotfix for this. Just search the knowledge database.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Well these chips currently running at 3GHz, etc are overclocked. The FSB isn't at stock speeds, etc. This doesn't seem to be BS, as Microsoft seems to have noted some problem somewhere. No one has an actual 2.8GHz or better chip to actually confirm/deny it. We'll have to wait and see! In the mean time I'll ask them over at the inquirer if they're pulling legs or not.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
We are still waiting for Mr Intel to respond. Called them around 9.00 am this morning.

Mike Magee