Sign in with
Your question

Help with Vaio Restore

Last response: in CPUs
July 16, 2002 8:32:30 AM

I decided to help a friend fix their Sony VAIO notebook computer. She just got a new hard drive installed at Best Buy but still has been experiancing problems. I decided to re-format and run the recovery cd, but the computer says that the cd is not for this computer. My best guess is that sony must have programmed the original partition info on the cd's. I did re-partition the drive and don't know what it was at before. How do I get this thing up and running again. This simple job is turning into a major headache. Please point me in the right direction. Mercy! Mercy!
Jared.

More about : vaio restore

July 16, 2002 9:18:08 AM

Have you tried calling Sony? Maybe they can help you configure the original manufacturer's settings. This happened with my Dell too :frown: . I just got pissed off and returned it.

What's this?...ERROR ERROR ERROR...*CRASH & BURN*
July 16, 2002 3:28:04 PM

Out of warranty so sony wants 20 bucks. I was hoping someone else allready had this problem. But, if I don't find a solution by tonight, I'll be on the ole' phone with tech support. Jared.
Related resources
July 16, 2002 3:33:51 PM

did you try contacting best buy...because technically...they could have messed up the setup of the new hard drive...they should have some sort of gurantee of technician error...

:eek:  <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek: 
July 16, 2002 9:27:12 PM

I used to work for CompUSA and we had that problem alot. Your restore cd is probably looking for your old hard drive to install onto. You have a couple of options, you can decide to just not use the restore cd and use someone elses Windows disk, I would recommend that one it gives you the least amount of problems and it doesn't put all that Sony software bull**** on your computer. Your second option is to put the old hard drive back in the computer, if it is still in the computer unplug the new hard drive, Change the old hard drives jumpers to master/single and try to run the restore cd. Alot of those restore cds look for the original hardware components in the computer. They also do the formatting and partitioning for you, I would not recommend doing either of those before you use the cd to recover. I hope this helps you out!
July 17, 2002 3:12:32 AM

Hi there
I have a vaio notebook and in order to help you better, could you tell me what model is it? such as FX560, PCG-Z505LS, blah blah. The reason I ask is you need to install some of the necessarities from sony's website first so the comp will RECOGNIZE the recovery cd.

gokou777
July 17, 2002 3:50:37 AM

model is PCG-F630. Thank you so much for any info you can give me. All I have now is a dos prompt.
September 10, 2008 8:07:53 PM

I know this is an old thread but I have the same problem. Sony VAIO desktop pcvrz44g.

Everything is original in it but I tried to install windows xp pro from a CD and couldnt find the key so I tried to do the recovery but it says that the cd is not for the hardware or something.

I am guessing there is something on the harddrive that tells it to use the CD's or some kind of hidden ability to install an MBR (?) on the hard drive.
September 10, 2008 9:07:33 PM

old thread is an understatement.

Why didn't you just start a new topic? Why use a thread that is 6 (SIX) years old?

Seriously....
!