P3-S 1.4ghz maximum overclock?

SupremeCmdrGates

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Does anyone have any experience overlocking this puppy?

Currently I have a P3-S 1.4ghz running @ 1.58ghz (150mhz FSB) and it's smoking the original 2.4ghz P4's in benchmarks. It's running so damn cool at this speed so I'm curious what the fastest this baby can safely run at.

Most importantly though I'm wondering what the safest max FSB is. I've got PC150 mem in my rig now.. I've heard that you can sometimes run at FSB's above the rating on the memory. Is 166mhz on option? Will I hoze my mb/components if I run at this speed?

Any feedback would be most appreciated!

eden

Champion
Another guy here OCed this babe, and yes most of them reach this speed, and its performance with that FSB even hurts AXPs at same clock speed. It is an amazing CPU and I wished Intel would have tried to invest more in it, as it has still some life let.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

SupremeCmdrGates

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Yup, its the Rodney Dangerfield of CPU's all right!

So I wonder if I should be concerned about running my mem @ 166mhz.. I'm already running at HCLK-PCI as it is. My CPU temp only increased a few degrees when I OC'D. I upped the voltage to 4.75 so it *should* have enough power.

Anyone know what a "safe" maximum temp would be for my CPU?

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
I'd say around 50 degrees celsius is a safe max temp.
I've seen people get a P3-S from 1.4 to 1.8

Of course, they had it hooked up to water cooling, and there were a few stability issues. The P3 is a great core, but don't be sad, it's "replacement", Banias, is coming in 2003. It'll be a low power, low heat, P3-style CPU. In other words, it's supposed to be a souped-up or modified p3-s.

- - - - -
Tejas - "supposedly" the last P4 revision
[successor to Prescott]

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
really?
i thought intel was trying hard to switch entirely over to the P4 core
thats the reason why they have discontinued the current P3.

Ego: Check
Rose hued glasses: Check
Fanboy Button: Check
CPU forum, here i come! :smile:

SupremeCmdrGates

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Status update:

I tried running @ 166mhz but no dice. Seems my memory isn't up to it. :(

Kinda bugs me though cuz I just know the CPU could have handled it. Cool runnings @ 150mhz.

Thanks all.

-Gates

Hi I have the 1.26/512 version. Runs stabble at 1583@166fsb. Memory is also my limiting factor.At 166 fsb I have to set my memory at 3/2/2.

I can boot at 174fsb but my memory can only handle it a few seconds then it freezes.

I aint signing nothing!!!

SupremeCmdrGates

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
What kind of memory are you using? My PC150 has a CAS of 3 (if I try 2 it freezes).

Do you think there is anything I can do to get my system to boot up above 150mhz? I'm running the latest Abit BIOS on my MB, 3/2002.

TIA,

-Gates

This is my best stick of Crucial PC133 cas2 memory. I have others but they cap out at 154 to 156 at 3/2/2 about 150 at 2/2/2.

Also my 3.3v line is set to 3.74 volts. It helps a lot when pushing memory this far.At stock voltage cas 3 is the best it will do at 150 fsb.

I aint signing nothing!!!

eden

Champion
I've been reading the bus architecture, and I can assume the FSB is at its max with such cooling. The GTL+ bus at over 133MHZ FSB, generated noise problems, which is why you really would need high quality mobos, or simply that it's a nature behaviour, that it was simply not meant to go above 133MHZ without some adjustments that can in the end destroy the performance increase. I say that the FSB you're at is pretty nice and enough in fact!

--

SupremeCmdrGates

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Are there any resources as to the effects of artifically high FSB speeds on other components? My PCI/AGP bus speeds are of course now higher as well, which concerns me because I am overclocking my GF3 as well. I also wonder if my IDE controller would be affected.

While my mobo is VIA chipset based (not sure if that's a bad thing these days), it is mfr'd by ABIT so that should count for something.

eden

Champion
Hmm I personally am not experienced at this, but I do know that high PCI/AGP port clock speeds are NOT a good thing. Maybe the AGP performance will be better, but it is not worth the instability that can occur. Stay the clock you are at, it is often the most frequent attainable one thru 1.4GHZ Tuallys, and is definitly a POWERFUL CPU a that clock. Beats out P4 2GHZ in most benchs, so be happy!

OC the GF3 if you want, but not too much, it is not gonna have a huge effect compared to your CPU's OC, like Rick's comp did.

--