Divine feat choice [campaign]

Last response: in Video Games
July 6, 2005 6:50:33 AM

My Paladin has one feat free, and I'm looking into divine feats; these are
activated by spending a turn attempt, of which she has 6/day. There are
several that look interesting, most of them helping the party, so I'd
appreciate advice on which one to pick.

Complete Divine:
Glorious weapoos: allies' wpns in 60' become good-aligned until end of
Paladin's next turn
Sacred boost: Nearby cure spells maximized to end of Paladin's next turn
Sacred Healing: Creatures in 60' get gain Fast Healing 3 for 1+cha mod (4)
rounds
Complete Warrior:
Divine Cleansing: allies within 60' get +2 sacred bonus on Fort saves for
cha mod (3) rounds
Divine Shield: +cha mod (3) to shield AC bonus for CL/2 (2) rounds
Divine Vigor: gain +2 HP/lvl and move +10 for cha mod (3) rounds.
July 6, 2005 6:50:34 AM

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> My Paladin has one feat free, and I'm looking into divine feats; these are
> activated by spending a turn attempt, of which she has 6/day. There are
> several that look interesting, most of them helping the party, so I'd
> appreciate advice on which one to pick.
>
> Complete Divine:
> Glorious weapoos: allies' wpns in 60' become good-aligned until end of
> Paladin's next turn
> Sacred boost: Nearby cure spells maximized to end of Paladin's next turn
> Sacred Healing: Creatures in 60' get gain Fast Healing 3 for 1+cha mod (4)
> rounds
> Complete Warrior:
> Divine Cleansing: allies within 60' get +2 sacred bonus on Fort saves for
> cha mod (3) rounds
> Divine Shield: +cha mod (3) to shield AC bonus for CL/2 (2) rounds
> Divine Vigor: gain +2 HP/lvl and move +10 for cha mod (3) rounds.

Divine Vigor is the munchiest one -- go for that.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 6:50:34 AM

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> My Paladin has one feat free, and I'm looking into divine feats; these are
> activated by spending a turn attempt, of which she has 6/day. There are
> several that look interesting, most of them helping the party, so I'd
> appreciate advice on which one to pick.
>
> Complete Divine:
> Glorious weapoos: allies' wpns in 60' become good-aligned until end of
> Paladin's next turn
> Sacred boost: Nearby cure spells maximized to end of Paladin's next turn
> Sacred Healing: Creatures in 60' get gain Fast Healing 3 for 1+cha mod (4)
> rounds
> Complete Warrior:
> Divine Cleansing: allies within 60' get +2 sacred bonus on Fort saves for
> cha mod (3) rounds
> Divine Shield: +cha mod (3) to shield AC bonus for CL/2 (2) rounds
> Divine Vigor: gain +2 HP/lvl and move +10 for cha mod (3) rounds.

Huh. You're not even considering Divine Might? That's usually the
staple choice for a Paladin.

Laszlo
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:36:27 PM

David Alex Lamb wrote:

> Complete Warrior:
> Divine Cleansing: allies within 60' get +2 sacred bonus on Fort saves for
> cha mod (3) rounds
> Divine Shield: +cha mod (3) to shield AC bonus for CL/2 (2) rounds
> Divine Vigor: gain +2 HP/lvl and move +10 for cha mod (3) rounds.

I prefer Divine Might, since it's a free action. Grants Cha bonus to
weapon damage for 1 round.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:16:26 PM

David Alex Lamb wrote:
> My Paladin has one feat free, and I'm looking into divine feats; these are
> activated by spending a turn attempt, of which she has 6/day. There are
> several that look interesting, most of them helping the party, so I'd
> appreciate advice on which one to pick.

I'm no expert on these, but nevermind that.

> Complete Divine:
> Glorious weapoos: allies' wpns in 60' become good-aligned until end of
> Paladin's next turn

/Real/ handy if we're going to be facing alot of feinds, but
probably not nessisary until the 9th level feat choice, as the ones with
lower CR than that are only DR 5, and can be overcome with cold iron or
silver if need be.

> Sacred boost: Nearby cure spells maximized to end of Paladin's next turn

Worth about 3.5 HP per spell level. Useful enough with a cleric
onboard, but nothing wonderful. The party might get 4 spell levels off
with a cleric.

> Sacred Healing: Creatures in 60' get gain Fast Healing 3 for 1+cha mod (4)
> rounds

Fast healing only works on damage taken since it was activated, so
it's pretty handy if you can tell we're about to get hit with area
effect stuff, or are just getting steadily pasted.
It also doesn't let you choose freinds only, so you've really got
to use it at a distance. Might gain 40+ HP across the party of five in
times of dire need, might not get much at all.

> Complete Warrior:
> Divine Cleansing: allies within 60' get +2 sacred bonus on Fort saves for
> cha mod (3) rounds

Pretty handy facing anything that uses poison, or disintegration.

> Divine Shield: +cha mod (3) to shield AC bonus for CL/2 (2) rounds

Actually, you're casterlevel 2 as a Pal4, so 1 round. Much more
useful for tank Clerics, or at higher level.

> Divine Vigor: gain +2 HP/lvl and move +10 for cha mod (3) rounds.

Pretty handy in a running battle, but you might be better with a
missile weapon in running battles.

My PC is probably going to loose alot of HP in fights, and he's
already got an OK fort save, so I'd pick one of the healing ones for
you. Probably just the ability to recover 14 odd HP extra with Sacred
Boost, though you might get to use Sacred Healing more often if the
party scout can see fights coming.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:16:27 PM

tussock wrote:
\
> Fast healing only works on damage taken since it was activated,

Heh. Where is the rule that states this?

> so
> it's pretty handy if you can tell we're about to get hit with area
> effect stuff, or are just getting steadily pasted.
> It also doesn't let you choose freinds only, so you've really got to
> use it at a distance.

Heh.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:16:27 PM

tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote:
>David Alex Lamb wrote:
>> Sacred boost: Nearby cure spells maximized to end of Paladin's next
>> turn

> Worth about 3.5 HP per spell level. Useful enough with a cleric
>onboard, but nothing wonderful. The party might get 4 spell levels off
>with a cleric.

You'll want to run this by your DM; as written, it also works with
scrolls, wands and potions. This is a great out-of-combat ability;
in combat, you're also potentially helping your enemies (unless you're
up against the undead, natch).

Also, due to the round structure, everyone only gets one chance to
take advantage of the effect. The boost is a standard action, so
the booster only gets one shot, and everyone else is only going to
get one 'initiative tick' between "booster's round" and "booster's
next round".

(Note: I've allowed this in my _World's Largest Dungeon_ game. So far,
it hasn't broken anything that I can tell, but it's a special case in
that restocking on potions isn't really an option. (There are two
clerics in the party.) It's a power multiplier, but I've not yet seen
it to be objectionably powerful.)

--
--DcB
Anonymous

In article <7zJye.72409$Fv.52862@lakeread01>,
Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
>David Alex Lamb wrote:
>> Divine Vigor: gain +2 HP/lvl and move +10 for cha mod (3) rounds.
>Divine Vigor is the munchiest one -- go for that.

Maybe. I saw it as a "Paladin's last stand" option -- holding the line
against the enemy while others escaped, then trying to run at the last minute.
July 7, 2005 4:56:09 AM

Behold! for dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca (David Alex Lamb) spake unto the
multitude thus:

>In article <7zJye.72409$Fv.52862@lakeread01>,
>Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
>>David Alex Lamb wrote:
>>> Divine Vigor: gain +2 HP/lvl and move +10 for cha mod (3) rounds.
>>Divine Vigor is the munchiest one -- go for that.
>
>Maybe. I saw it as a "Paladin's last stand" option -- holding the line
>against the enemy while others escaped, then trying to run at the last minute.

As a paladin tends to tank about in plate, he's only moving 20. This
is for holy moron charges into the thick of the enemy.

I like Divine Resistance, personally. It's versatile and can save a
party something like 20 damage/round if used at the right time. A bit
useless if you're not facing area energy attacks, but there are a lot
of area energy attacks.

It would be useful to know more about the character.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:44:32 AM

In article <1120627309.941889.180100@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote:

>David Alex Lamb wrote:
>Huh. You're not even considering Divine Might? That's usually the
>staple choice for a Paladin.

Yes, if I had another spare feat for Power Attack.
July 7, 2005 5:48:18 AM

In article <42cb76d2@clear.net.nz>, tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote:
>David Alex Lamb wrote:
>> Complete Divine:
>> Glorious weapoos: allies' wpns in 60' become good-aligned until end of
>> Paladin's next turn
>
> /Real/ handy if we're going to be facing alot of feinds, but
>probably not nessisary until the 9th level feat choice, as the ones with
>lower CR than that are only DR 5, and can be overcome with cold iron or
>silver if need be.

You're right; I'll hold off on that.

>> Sacred boost: Nearby cure spells maximized to end of Paladin's next turn
>
> Worth about 3.5 HP per spell level. Useful enough with a cleric
>onboard, but nothing wonderful. The party might get 4 spell levels off
>with a cleric.

There is a cleric in the party, plus my Paladin has a wand of CLW. I'm not
sure if that's enough healing to be worth the boost.

>> Sacred Healing: Creatures in 60' get gain Fast Healing 3 for 1+cha mod (4)
>> rounds
>
> Fast healing only works on damage taken since it was activated, so

Should have looked it up; I'm guessing that the number of times it's useful
would be fairly low -- discover a big hurt is coming but over 60' away, then
immediately after get in range and get hurt for 4 rounds.
July 7, 2005 7:18:54 PM

Dave Butler wrote:
> tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote:
>
>>David Alex Lamb wrote:
>>
>>> Sacred boost: Nearby cure spells maximized to end of Paladin's next
>>> turn
>
>> Worth about 3.5 HP per spell level. Useful enough with a cleric
>>onboard, but nothing wonderful. The party might get 4 spell levels off
>>with a cleric.
>
> You'll want to run this by your DM; as written, it also works with
> scrolls, wands and potions.

Sure, but you don't always want to use up your potions (they're so
very handy when the healers are down for the count, or otherwise
occupied), and the ones that can use scrolls and wands can cast the
spells anyway. As the PC in question would get 6 uses per day, it'd
mostly be spent on one or two spells at a time, at most. We're only
starting at level 4.

<snip>
> Also, due to the round structure, everyone only gets one chance to
> take advantage of the effect. The boost is a standard action, so
> the booster only gets one shot, and everyone else is only going to
> get one 'initiative tick' between "booster's round" and "booster's
> next round".

Yep, though once you're into Mass CLW and such, you might get
multiple maximised cures per person. Of course, by then, /Heal/ is
coming online anyway, and the variable part of the Cure Wounds spells is
proportionately very small.

> (Note: I've allowed this in my _World's Largest Dungeon_ game. So far,
> it hasn't broken anything that I can tell, but it's a special case in
> that restocking on potions isn't really an option. (There are two
> clerics in the party.) It's a power multiplier, but I've not yet seen
> it to be objectionably powerful.)

It'll only reduce the number of spells you need to cast by 30% on
average (and only then if you're doing all your healing with Cure Wounds
spells). It /should/ effectively get your average Cure Wounds caster one
spell slot back every two or three times it's used.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:53:37 PM

David Alex Lamb <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote:
>>> Sacred Healing: Creatures in 60' get gain Fast Healing 3 for 1 +
>>> cha mod (4) rounds
>>
>> Fast healing only works on damage taken since it was activated, so
>
>Should have looked it up; I'm guessing that the number of times it's useful
>would be fairly low -- discover a big hurt is coming but over 60' away, then
>immediately after get in range and get hurt for 4 rounds.

Except that he was wrong. It's a fine feat if you already have the
ranks in the Heal skill.

Donald
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:58:15 AM

Werebat wrote:
> tussock wrote:
>
>> Fast healing only works on damage taken since it was activated,
>
> Heh. Where is the rule that states this?

Damned if I can find it. Perhaps it's all in my head?
Makes all the various Complete Divine /Vigor/ spells rather alot
better than /Cure Wounds/ spells if i've been wrong about it, even if
not quite so good mid-battle.

<sigh> I'm sure I've seen it somewhere ....

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:58:16 AM

tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote:
>>> Fast healing only works on damage taken since it was activated,
>>
>> Heh. Where is the rule that states this?
>
> Damned if I can find it. Perhaps it's all in my head?
> Makes all the various Complete Divine /Vigor/ spells rather alot
>better than /Cure Wounds/ spells if i've been wrong about it, even if
>not quite so good mid-battle.
>
> <sigh> I'm sure I've seen it somewhere ....

In the 3.0 versions of those spells (Regenerate X Wounds from Masters of
the Wild, as well as the one in one of the FR books, probably Magic
of Faerun)

I still want a Personal version of the Vigor spells, in order to be able
to apply Persistent Spell to it...

Donald
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:15:26 AM

David Alex Lamb wrote:

> My Paladin has one feat free, and I'm looking into divine feats; these are
> activated by spending a turn attempt, of which she has 6/day. There are
> several that look interesting, most of them helping the party, so I'd
> appreciate advice on which one to pick.
[...snip...]
> Divine Shield: +cha mod (3) to shield AC bonus for CL/2 (2) rounds

My most recently played character was a Paladin (in full mithral plate
but no shield) who found great use of the Divine Shield feat (and the
Zeal spell from the Complete Divine).

He wasn't as powerful as the party's main fighter but DS allowed him to
enter into battles against some pretty heavy hitters ... and we had a
cleric of Pelor in the group so undead turning attempts weren't needed
as often by the paladin.

Just FWIW.

- Sheldon
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:02:11 AM

tussock wrote:
> Donald Tsang wrote:

> <snip>
> >> <sigh> I'm sure I've seen it somewhere ....
> >
> > In the 3.0 versions of those spells (Regenerate X Wounds from Masters of
> > the Wild, as well as the one in one of the FR books, probably Magic
> > of Faerun)
>
> Ah. Yet another thing I never noticed when scanning through the new
> books. Oh well, so much for wands of /Cure Light Wounds/, when it only
> takes 10 minutes and 9 charges to knock up 99 hit points with a wand of
> /Lesser Vigor/. Twice as much healing for the same cheap price.
>
> So Laszlo, do we get the /Vigor/ spells?

Sure, not a problem.

Incidentally... Billy Yank and Decaying Atheist, are you guys still in?
How are your characters coming along?

Laszlo
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:06:46 PM

"Repent !" said the Ticktockman. "Get Stuffed!" replied. Then he added:

> Incidentally... Billy Yank and Decaying Atheist, are you guys still in?
> How are your characters coming along?

I'll post mine tonight after work. I'm still working on equipment.

--
Billy Yank

Quinn: "I'm saying it's us, or them."
Murphy: "Well I choose them."
Q: "That's NOT an option!"
M: "Then you shouldn't have framed it as one."
-Sealab 2021

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:58:11 AM

Donald Tsang wrote:

>> <sigh> I'm sure I've seen it somewhere ....
>
> In the 3.0 versions of those spells (Regenerate X Wounds from Masters of
> the Wild, as well as the one in one of the FR books, probably Magic
> of Faerun)

Ah. Yet another thing I never noticed when scanning through the new
books. Oh well, so much for wands of /Cure Light Wounds/, when it only
takes 10 minutes and 9 charges to knock up 99 hit points with a wand of
/Lesser Vigor/. Twice as much healing for the same cheap price.

So Laszlo, do we get the /Vigor/ spells?

> I still want a Personal version of the Vigor spells, in order to be able
> to apply Persistent Spell to it...

/Mass Lesser Vigor/ works, according to the FAQ. Makes it a 9th
level spell of course, but gives the whole party Fast Healing 1.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:58:12 AM

tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote:
>Donald Tsang wrote:
>> I still want a Personal version of the Vigor spells, in order to be able
>> to apply Persistent Spell to it...
>
> /Mass Lesser Vigor/ works, according to the FAQ. Makes it a 9th
>level spell of course, but gives the whole party Fast Healing 1.

Or you could use a third-level spell and Divine Metamagic: Persistent
Spell (with seven turning attempts)... the question becomes, would casting
Vigor on one of the targets first mean that he gets Fast Healing 2 for the
entire day (plus 14 rounds)? They're both third-level spells, so
the second spell merely extends the duration of the first by its
entire duration...

Donald
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:58:13 AM

Donald Tsang <tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>Or you could use a third-level spell and Divine Metamagic: Persistent
>Spell (with seven turning attempts)... the question becomes, would casting
>Vigor on one of the targets first mean that he gets Fast Healing 2 for the
>entire day (plus 14 rounds)? They're both third-level spells, so
>the second spell merely extends the duration of the first by its
>entire duration...

BTW, what happens if you use Extend Spell on a Persistent Spell? According
to the FAQ, the duration component is replaced with "1 day", so does the
Extended version last for two days?

Donald
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:58:13 AM

Donald Tsang wrote:
> tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote:
> >Donald Tsang wrote:
> >> I still want a Personal version of the Vigor spells, in order to be able
> >> to apply Persistent Spell to it...
> >
> > /Mass Lesser Vigor/ works, according to the FAQ. Makes it a 9th
> >level spell of course, but gives the whole party Fast Healing 1.
>
> Or you could use a third-level spell and Divine Metamagic: Persistent
> Spell (with seven turning attempts)...

Sorry, I should have said this earlier: no Persistent Spell with Divine
Metamagic. Divine Metamagic is fine, Persistent Spell is fine, but the
two together is not fine. There are just too many spells you can make
Persistent that I feel are unbalanced at low levels.

Laszlo
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 1:02:23 AM

Donald Tsang wrote:

>>> Fast healing only works on damage taken since it was activated, so
>>
>>Should have looked it up; I'm guessing that the number of times it's useful
>>would be fairly low -- discover a big hurt is coming but over 60' away, then
>>immediately after get in range and get hurt for 4 rounds.
>
> Except that he was wrong.

Yep, sorry, damn 3.0 concepts stuck in my head. 8[

> It's a fine feat if you already have the ranks in the Heal skill.

Infact, it's plainly the best option for our paladin, 15 HP each
for a turn attempt (including the ability to save all dying folk within
60') is bargain basement cheap. Snap it up quick Mr. Lamb.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 1:02:24 AM

tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote:
>> [Sacred Healing is] a fine feat if you already have the ranks
>> in the Heal skill.
>
> Infact, it's plainly the best option for our paladin, 15 HP each
>for a turn attempt (including the ability to save all dying folk within
>60') is bargain basement cheap. Snap it up quick Mr. Lamb.

Don't forget that it works on all living creatures in that 60' radius,
including any enemies...

Donald
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 8:05:34 PM

In article <42ce409f@clear.net.nz>, tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz> wrote:
>Donald Tsang wrote:

>>>Should have looked it up; I'm guessing that the number of times it's useful
>>>would be fairly low -- discover a big hurt is coming but over 60' away, then
>>>immediately after get in range and get hurt for 4 rounds.
>>
>> Except that he was wrong.
>
> Yep, sorry, damn 3.0 concepts stuck in my head. 8[
>
>> It's a fine feat if you already have the ranks in the Heal skill.
>
> Infact, it's plainly the best option for our paladin, 15 HP each
>for a turn attempt (including the ability to save all dying folk within
>60') is bargain basement cheap. Snap it up quick Mr. Lamb.

Sigh. I blipped over the "8 ranks Heal skill" which I can't get until 5th
level. I'll rearrange things to be ready for Sacred Healing as the 6th level
feat.
July 11, 2005 12:25:39 AM

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> Sorry, I should have said this earlier: no Persistent Spell with Divine
> Metamagic. Divine Metamagic is fine, Persistent Spell is fine, but the
> two together is not fine. There are just too many spells you can make
> Persistent that I feel are unbalanced at low levels.

You could just rule that you have to be able to cast spells of the
appropriate level to apply the metamagic (must be able to cast 9th level
spells to apply persistant spell to a 3rd level slot, etc). It still
allows spontanious metamagic for a few spells levels worth each day.

To compensate you could allow it to work with all your other
metamagic feats. Or, you know, whatever. 8]

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:07:48 AM

tussock wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I should have said this earlier: no Persistent Spell with Divine
> > Metamagic. Divine Metamagic is fine, Persistent Spell is fine, but the
> > two together is not fine. There are just too many spells you can make
> > Persistent that I feel are unbalanced at low levels.
>
> You could just rule that you have to be able to cast spells of the
> appropriate level to apply the metamagic (must be able to cast 9th level
> spells to apply persistant spell to a 3rd level slot, etc). It still
> allows spontanious metamagic for a few spells levels worth each day.

That weakens the other divine metamagic feats, though, which I think is
unnecessary. They're all accepatable, power-wise.

But sure, this could work for Persistent Spell. Either way, though,
this takes it out of consideration until at least level 13. Which is
cool; I don't think it's broken anymore at level 13. I just think it's
broken at level 5.

Laszlo
!