Sign in with
Your question

Crash!

Last response: in CPUs
July 17, 2002 7:43:40 AM

Any ideas why a sony vaio laptop would reboot during a clean windows 98se install. I can't get it to finish install. It gets started and crashes.
I have run disk doctor - no problems
I have re-partitioned using fdisk
I have formated the HD
I have scanned for viruses using a norton utility

What to do next? I just want it to work.
Yeah, a bit frustrated.
Jared.

More about : crash

July 17, 2002 7:53:07 AM

This is a dumb answer- but 98 sucks. It's a toy operating system. Go with 2000pro if possible. I wouldn't be surprised if it is an inherent problem in 98 (it has many others in the install), and 2000pro is the finest Windows ever made.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway
Related resources
July 17, 2002 3:55:48 PM

Is it a spontanious reboot, does it actually prompt you to reboot, or does it crash/lockup and force you to manually reboot?

<b>Spontanious Reboot:</b>
Spontanious reboots often indicate a fault in the power supply. Being a laptop, this enteres into a new area of thought though. How would anyone know if their laptop was being underpowered?

All I can suggest there is to run the laptop off of the battery if you've been trying to run it plugged-in, and visa-versa if you've been trying to run it off of the battery.

<b>Prompted Reboot:</b>
If it is asking you to reboot but then never succeeds in the reinstall, then I'm stumped.

<b>Crash/Lockup and Manual Reboot:</b>
If it is crashing and forcing you to restart your PC (as opposed to a clean reboot) this could indicate a number of problems. It could be a power problem as stated above. It could be that the CD ROM is faulty. It could be that the CD media itself is scratched or otherwise faulty. It could be that the hard drive is faulty. It could be that the RAM is faulty. Hell, it could really be anything. If this is the case though, I would first look at the CD media itself and make sure that it is clean and scratch-free.

<A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/171.htm" target="_new">The corpse you find may be your own.</A> - Black Mage
July 17, 2002 4:06:20 PM

While I won't debate that Win2K is the best OS that MS has ever made (I even still prefer it over XP), I will debate that 98SE is a 'toy' OS. ME is, without doubt, as is 95.

98SE however was and is still a valuable SOHO OS. It is incredibly stable so long as you are running stable hardware and software that wasn't written by monkeys. Further, the vast majority of home users will <i>never</i> need the functionality of 2K or XP-Pro.

On top of that, there are numerous hardware products of which the company either went out of business or just stopped caring about driver updates for the product, and therefore the hardware has <i>no</i> driver support under 2K.

So 98SE is usefull, stable, easy-to-use, and sometimes even a necessity. Just because it is an older version does not make it a 'toy' OS.

<A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/171.htm" target="_new">The corpse you find may be your own.</A> - Black Mage
July 17, 2002 6:04:33 PM

Quote:
dude it's a laptop

Dude, ya think? Way to state the obvious, genius. Are you naturally this dumb, or do you just try really hard to be that way?

a b à CPUs
July 17, 2002 6:06:03 PM

Dude, I run Win98SE without problems, most 98SE crashes are related to VIA chipsets and 3rd party software that was written by monkeys. As for any hardware problems YOU'VE had with Win98SE, well, I can't be held responsible for your bad hardware choices.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 17, 2002 7:26:17 PM

98=bollocks
Big hairy ones. Simple as that. Windows 2000? Bullet proof.
I could explain the reasoning, but theres no point. Its common knowledge. eg:
duron 1200, 512mb sdr ram, WD Caviar HDD, Win98, 2nd boot, blue screen, fat32 failure. Why? windows98=bollocks.
And no, the HDD didn't fail. Let me say it again. windows98=bollocks. Understood?

Good :) 

And don't even think about reaching for windows me (read: 98 re-hash)

Slowdown? What slowdown? Didn't you know this was a slideshow?
July 17, 2002 7:28:10 PM

98=bollocks
Big hairy ones. Simple as that. Windows 2000? Bullet proof.
I could explain the reasoning, but theres no point. Its common knowledge. eg:
duron 1200, 512mb sdr ram, WD Caviar HDD, Win98, 2nd boot, blue screen, fat32 failure. Why? windows98=bollocks.
And no, the HDD didn't fail. Let me say it again. windows98=bollocks. Understood?

Good :) 

And don't even think about reaching for windows me (read: 98 re-hash)

win2k wooowooooo

Slowdown? What slowdown? Didn't you know this was a slideshow?
July 17, 2002 8:22:52 PM

Uh huh. And <i>which</i> motherboard was that? And <i>were</i> any bad drivers involved? And <i>did</i> the system have a decent power supply?

If I wanted to just blame every little thing on the OS, then I'd be of the opinion that Win2K is a piece of crap. My first experience on it involved a VIA mobo, a Matrox video card, and, obviously, Win2K. Now, first off, VIA has made some pretty crap hardware. Compound that with my opinion that VIA's firmware engineers are all monkeys because they couldn't write decent Win2K drivers even in <b>six</b> months. Complicate it further with a nasty little bug in VIA's Win2K AGP driver in which <i>any</i> memory card which reserves system memory becomes highly unstable thanks to the drivers not actually reserving the memory properly (and thus allowing it to be overwritten), and I had one hell of an unstable Win2K platform.

Yet, because I can actually out-think a monkey, I was able to see the truth of the matter. I diagnosed, researched, and recognized that the problem was in fact VIA, not MS, not Win2K. And so, to this day I still carry a high respect for Win2K.

Would that everyone could outwit a monkey...

July 22, 2002 10:54:36 PM

Uhhh,

Guys. I wasn't asking for opinions about win 98 or 2K. I don't think the operating system has anything to do with the problem since it won't hardly even complete installation of windows without an error. If anyone has any real ideas about the problem please post. I could care less about opinions about operating systems, but want real answers that may lead me towards a solution to my problem. As of this moment, we are waiting for a new system restore disk from sony. If it works, great! I doubt it will though. One thing is for sure, I will never reccomend a sony laptop to anyone. What a mess.
July 22, 2002 11:30:48 PM

Quote:
I don't think the operating system has anything to do with the problem since it won't hardly even complete installation of windows without an error. If anyone has any real ideas about the problem please post.

What CPU is it? Perhaps your cooling fan on the CPU or laptop failed? Does the bottom of the laptop feel hot to the touch? This can cause instabilities.

Ritesh
July 23, 2002 1:16:41 AM

Thanks, I'll look into it.
!