Sign in with
Your question

Asus A7V333 and AXP 1800 -- Help plz

Last response: in CPUs
July 17, 2002 3:42:30 PM

Got an issue.

Have an Asus A7V333 and AXP 1800. System shuts down at 60 degrees.

Went through BIOS, doesnt seem to be a setting in there. Issue only happens in Windows (Temp never gets to 60 in BIOS) and probe SW is not running. When SW is running cant change threshold of CPU temp. About to look at jumper settings right now. Was wondering if other ppl have come across this issue or have any other ideas.

:smile: <font color=red>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do! :wink: <font color=black> Think outside the box!
July 17, 2002 4:02:21 PM

What kind of cooling system are you using? Is your case pretty crammed, is it getting good ventilation?
July 17, 2002 4:07:42 PM

Case is not cramped. Have 2 case fans, the retail HSF that came with chip and and Enermax 350W dual fan PSU.

:smile: <font color=red>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do! :wink: <font color=black> Think outside the box!
Related resources
July 17, 2002 4:18:51 PM

I don't know what SW is, but I run ASUS probe on my A7V333 and as far as I know it doesn't cause the computer to shutdown - regardless if the temperature reported is 50 or 150. If it has anything to do with the cpu overheating and shutdowns, it's the COP overheating protection. This is integrated into the motherboard and from what I can tell, it can't be disabled. I'll run through the bios settings one more time to make sure. Anyway, 60 degrees is not a temperature at which COP will kick in. You should look elswhere. If SW is a program that reports system temps, maybe you should try Asus probe. It might give you more accurate results and in doing so, you might realize that the temperature is actually somewhat higher.

<i>Edit:</i>I don't know about the 1800+, but with my 2200+ I can't set the threshold any higher than 60 C. On hot days the the CPU temp can get upwards of 70 degrees, as reported by ASUS probe. It doesn't shutdown the computer, but it starts beeping like crazy. I'm guessing that SW might have an option to shutdown at a certain temperature. I had an abit board with something similar. Check to see.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fcm6 on 07/17/02 12:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 17, 2002 4:31:15 PM

SW = software. Probe SW is Asus probe software (sorry bout that). I was thinking COP as wel but it shouldnt be an issue. The temp runs about 55 at idle, but when anything is done on system (like games) the temp goes to 60 - 61 and off goes the system. I kept mentioning the probe SW becuase it was the only way to monitor temp while in Windows.

Regardless of whether the probe SW was running or not the system would still shutdown.

July 17, 2002 5:13:17 PM

That's really wierd. Call Asus and see what they say.
July 17, 2002 8:21:37 PM

Anybody know a program I can download to test my CPU?

July 18, 2002 5:20:34 AM

You should download and flash your bios to revision 1008<A HREF="http://cgi.asus.com.tw/cgi-bin/dl.asp?filename=mb/socka..." target="_new"> Here</A> it include version 1007 ( and all previous versions ) which add the possibility to manually set the shutdown threshold.

To lower your temps, try lowering your chip core voltage, I just did with my Duron Morgan 1.0GHz and it now run stable a whole 15 C lower !

Oh, a few last things, to flash the BIOS can be a dangerous thing, do it only from a clean boot disk with no CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT ( scan it first to make sure there are no bad sectors or viruses on it ) then copy AFLASH.EXE ( found on ASUS CD ) and AV33308.AWD ( the BIOS revision 1008 flash file ).

Reboot with the disk in the floppy drive ( you might have to set the BIOS to boot OS from the floppy ) just type AFLASH at the command prompt and follow the instructions, NEVER turn off or reset the computer during the flash process, if you do, you'll ruin the flash memory with an incomplete bios !

If such a thing happen, change the ROMSIP jumper ( just to the right of the southbridge chip ) to 3-2 ( up ) and do it again.

That's one nice thing about this board, you can get a second chance at flashing the BIOS in case of a f**k up, it happened to me a few weeks ago, I panicked until I found the magical ROMSIP jumper, it give you extremely limited functionality ( can only boot from a bootable floppy and some keyboard keys get messed up ) but every thing get back to normal once the BIOS is properly flash.

I hope this post will be helpfull...

Fok Speling Misstake
July 18, 2002 12:00:42 PM

I flash with asus update under windows xp!?, I dont's see why to make a boot disk ...

:wink: <font color=green> The second time is always better than the first :wink: </font color=green>
July 18, 2002 1:45:35 PM

Ya, after bios 1005 it's been ok to flash from within windwos. Also, asus has a built in flash utility in case you don't want to flash from within Windows or have the flash utility on disk. Just make sure that you have the new bios revision on a floppy (doesn't matter what else is on the disk) and hit F2 during the boot sequence.
July 18, 2002 2:42:58 PM

From my experiences with flashing the A7V333 BIOS, I learned not to thrust the ASUS updater running in window or the flashing util that can be accessed by pressing F2 just after POST.

I used both and was very dissapointed, both times I ended up with a badly flashed BIOS, that's how I found out the ROMSIP jumper and how to use it.

Maybe it's just bad luck or worst, could be an evil twist of Murphy's law which is picking on me becaused I always flashed my hardware from boot disks...

Oh, Kamo reminded me to mention an undocumented VID jumper setting to feed the core with 1.5-1.55v, just put jumper VID4 to 1-2 and remove the jumpers from VID3 VID2 and VID1. That's how I ended up with a lower voltage.

The A7V333 really is a fun board to work with, full of undocumented features !

Fok Speling Misstake
!