Possible Virus or OS Boot Failure

zmiac-97

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
Today, i had a nasty shock. When i tried to boot my computer with the ethernet cable pre-plugged, it hangs and i immediately recognised it as a OS failure (reformat) and probably a malware/virus.

Downloaded MalwareBytes and did a full scan on my HDD and SSD, and i detected a magnipic trojan virus. My initial reaction was, "wow this must be bad!". :eek:

Does anyone know any solution to the freezing? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I tried doing a system reboot on my router/modem too, same thing happens.

MC_K7

Distinguished
All I know is that Malwarebyte isn't the best to get rid of a virus. Try Avira or Bitdefender you'll have better chance to get rid of it and have any damage to the OS repaired correctly.

But I tend to be paranoid with infections, I find that reformatting and reinstalling Windows is the best way to go. Because trying to disinfect and repair might take the same amount of time anyways and you're never sure if everything has been repaired correctly or if any traces of infections are left.

zmiac-97

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I was a bit paranoid at first too, as it was completely unexpected when it was working well yesterday evening. I removed the virus using MalwareBytes, did another full scan and nothing was detected.

I too think i should go to a technician and ask him to reformat for me instead. But as a gamer, the downloads is another issue lol.. I think it is just a minor issue and shouldn't really need a reformat on the other hand.