I can't uninstall a program from my computer...

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I am trying to uninstall Divx from my PC.

I am using Windows 7 and when I go to "uninstall or change a program" and select "divx setup" I left click it and hit uninstall. A divx window then pops up and I check everything and uninstall it all. But "divx setup" is still there in the uninstall list and I still have A LOT of divx files on my computer despite apparently uninstalling it. Now when I try to uninstall it again the same "divx plus setup" pop up comes up but it then "stops working" and crashes.

I have gone through many steps to get rid of this thing and none work. I just want this thing completely off of my computer. Why can't I completely uninstall this damn thing? It is messing up my OCD horribly and I desperately need help.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Try installing Revo Uninstaller, a free program for searching your computer for any leftover files and registry entries that applications leave behind when you "uninstall" them. It's only free for 32-bit programs, if you want to use it to uninstall 64-bit programs you have to buy it. If Divx is mostly uninstalled, it might not work, but I think it would. I've used it for years and it finds EVERYTHING left over.

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

DudE132

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Well now when I try to uninstall it, instead of crashing and forcing me to close it, it now says

"An error occurred while trying to uninstall Divx Setup. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove Divx Setup from the programs and features list?"

I also had a bunch of leftover files I found using the search in start: computer. It wouldnt let me delete them before but now they seem to all be gone.

Dont know what happened but I think I managed t get everything off my PC. Nothing shows up in my search and there is nothing in the task manager.

Hi,

At worse this is what I do.

Locate folder where it is installed and delete it (you might get a warning that some programs might not work after that)
download ccleaner and run a registery scan and delete any entery related to the program
then look in the startup for enteries and delete htem also.

But do that for 3rd party programs only (divx is one of them)

Sean Kingston

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

well my friend i understand your problem, you are uninstalling the program then again comes in your system, you can go for Revo Uninstaller to uninstall your program or you can go visit this site http://www.uninstallsoftware.net to sort your Uninstalling issues.

Squeak UK

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
# from Squeak UK...
(HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE .... POSTED IN A HURRY.....)
# there is no uninstall

I watched this video --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v8U2LZ0Gtg
(check out the reviews ... they are in love with him... )
it basicly says the following..................
# THIS STOPS ' DivX ' RUNNING and slowing your computer...

first --- press --- Ctrl + Alt + Del
> task manager
> processes
> select -- DivX.exe --- and end process
click Yes
there were no DDMService.exe (might be 2 or 3) in my case --- end process
click Yes
I then went to start
but couldn't find add/remove programmes --- joys of win7

# GO TO THIS PAGE (as links may not work here)

[filter_by]=all]https://forums.divx.com/divx/topics/how_do_i_uninstall_when_divx_doesnt_appear_in_control_panel_add_remove_programs?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all

It was posted about 2 months ago ... as at 22 2 2014
I had no UNINSTALL OPTION

Photo of Krista

Krista, Technical Support Engineer
Okay, here are some manual steps to uninstall DivX software from Windows if reinstalling then retrying uninstallation did not work.

# Try this first:

Open your Windows "Start" menu
In the Search/Run box type: C:\ProgramData\DivX\Setup\DivXSetup.exe /uninstall
DivX installer should launch in uninstall mode; follow the normal uninstallation steps.

# THAT ABOVE DIDNT WORK AS NO UNINSTALL

If that still does not work, you can try the following 'brute force' method. Note, this is not a recommended method and should be used with caution as it involves deleting registry keys.

# NOTE THE WORDS 'All-in-One' contains a link on the site
# I DID THIS...

Run the All-in-One fix tool and select the option "Installation Override" to remove the registry keys.

# I DIDNT DO THIS BIT

Or, you can manually delete them if you know how to do this. They are: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DivX
and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DivX

# I DID THIS LOT ---- CAREFULLY ---- DONT DELETE IF NOT SURE...

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and find DivXUpdate.exe in the Processes tab. End that process.
Delete the folder “C:\Program Files\DivX"
Delete “C:\Program Files (x86)\DivX”
Delete “C:\ProgramData\DivX”
Delete “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\DivX
Shared”
Delete
“C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\DivX”
Optional – delete all temporary files using the
disk cleanup utility

# YOU SHOULD FIND THIS DELETES IT....

An alternative to the second set of steps above is to use this removal script. Save the .bat file to your computer, then double click on it to run the script. Disclaimer: as with the steps above, using this script is not a recommended method nor is it fully tested. It will remove registry keys from your system and should be used with caution.

Once you do these steps, DivX should be completely removed from your Windows computer.

Squeak UK

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
ADDED NOTE
at this moment I haven't run 'Disk Cleanup'
... it takes ages ... but is worth it ....
GO TO YOUR PUBLIC DESKTOP
AND DELETE LINKS...
also
it surprised me .....
the other public folders had copies of pictures and videos etc...

... I prefer 'VLC media player'

jake123456

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014

Thankyou thankyou finally i got rid of that S*** HEMonitor off :D my computer yayayayayay absolute glory :)

Xfiles63

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Hi there ya`ll I got this problem with windows 7 you see,everytime I go to download a file or do certain things on my computer it wont let me.I get the message you need administrator permission to this.Well by golly I am the administrator,I loaded the os on this machine and I need it to do my commands.I have googled this and tried certain steps to resolve this issue and failed.Im not a failure Im am somebody that somebody is me the administrator.Another question on win 7,how come when you do a format of your hard drive you need a new product key.I bought the software and payed a lot of beens for this so called ultimate and I can only use my product key once,thats not fair Im entitled or should be entitled to use this key to make software os legit.Im not going to buy a new key for the software I already own and bought.Microsoft then has the nerve that my version of windows is counterfit after I bought it from a legit source called TigerDirect.Im sure you`all know about it.So whats up with that?how do I fix it,do I have to call Microsoft and chew someones ear off to make my software legit again?someone please help thanks

Squeak UK

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

It's good to be able to help.. and my instructions apparently made sense... :)
It sent me 'Nuts' ... too ...
Where had you got stuck ....?

I forgot to mention ...
Check your update software and delete / block it ....
and / or
the same with your Firewall / Anti Virus ...

To help others...
1... before using any software to 'clean' / 'uninstall' ... check what others think first ...!

2... If a file won't allow you to delete it ... (assuming you have administrator permission etc) ...
This may work ...
Generate another folder - any name or a letter - on your desktop or it might work on the same page ...
... and simply 'Drag and Drop' or 'Select All' and holding left mouse button down move it to the other folder ..
sometimes 'cut and paste' may work ...
then ...
this is the best bit ...
close the folder ...
right click the folder ...
select DELETE ...
it will ask if you do want to delete / send to recycle bin ...
.... don't get sentimental .... ;)
select YES ...
then open the recycle bin and ............
click empty folder ...
Happiness .... :)

3... I also cleared my cookies ...

4... This is worth doing once a month or if the Computer is slow...
... restart your computer in 'Safe Mode' ... by pressing F8 (once a second~) as it's starting up ...
... the screen will look a little weird ...
and find and run a quick scan (should work) with your 'Anti Virus / Malware' software ...
do a full scan when time permits ...
I use 'Bullguard' (there are others) which I pay for each year ...
others will have there thoughts...

Xfiles63

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I`ll try this program and see if it helps,I did find a salution by searching google and found out how to regain full control over my computer.Problem is when I shut my computer down for the night I have to back and rest the security settings.Then I still don't have administrator permission.

Rob Law

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
folder options-show hidden files/folders. you may or may not need to do this (this is for Vista)
C:program Data\DivX\setup.
run the setup file.
it will re-install again!
once that is done go to the windows uninstall programs,
now just go as normal to uninstall.
worked for me

Squeak UK

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
An update ;)

I have just been 'on air' on LBC saying about computery things and tracking software...

I stopped using VLC and removed it.

I have been using the free professional version 'CCleaner' for some years and it works well for cleaning out rubbish...
(there are no catches or spams) :)
ONLY get it from their site

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

To use... click on icon ... patience ... it takes a little while to start up...
a box will appear
click 'CANCEL'
and the screen will appear
click ANALYZE

WARNING - Don't click on any other boxes until you know what you doing...

a list of stuff that it has found will appear
click RUN CLEANER it will ask save a record click 'yes'
and then 'clean all' (I'm trying to remember wording)
if it your first time
when it is finished
click ANALYZE again
and repeat till 'nothing found'

now click on APPLICATIONS
and repeat process

then REGISTRY
and repeat similar process

then back to windows and applications
repeat them
to see if there are any fragments....

The main 'art' of uninstalling / removing a programme or other software is deleting and damaging it enough to allow 'CCleaner' to do its work....

then repeating what I said 2 years ago....
4... This is worth doing once a month or if the Computer is slow...
... restart your computer in 'Safe Mode' ... by pressing F8 (once a second~) as it's starting up ...
... the screen will look a little weird ...
and find and run a quick scan (should work) with your 'Anti Virus / Malware' software ...
do a full scan when time permits ...
I use 'Bullguard' (there are others) which I pay for each year ...
others will have there thoughts...

just a word of warning - I put in 'google' ''''squeak uk uninstal''''
SOME OF THE SITES ARE REALLY BAD.