2k Server...

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
hey guys i gotta question!

A couple buddys and I are going to setup a webserver to host a few different websites. But the sad thing is we cant afford 2000 server, but we can after we save up a bit. But in the mean time, i was thinking, couldnt i get a hold of a the free 90 day evaluation of windows 2000 server? I remember at the tech center i go to they had us practice on that. This was like 8 months ago and im sure microsoft still offers the 90 evaluation (or was it 120 days?), but i was also wondering if it was illegal to use the 90 day evaluation for commerical purposes to make a few quick bucks for hosting webpages till we get enough to buy a real copy. I was thinking downloading a pirate edition off kazaa, but i didnt want to run the risk of a software auditor beating on my door and kicking my ass cause i didnt have License for 2k server. Or is it somewhat safe to do this if you arent a well known organization? Well i think ill just buy it so i can sleep at night and it prolly isnt worth going to jail for 200 dollars a month. Anyways, does anyone know where i can get the evaluation of 2k server, and is it legal to use as a webserver for those 90 days?

Drew

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you really think its even worth the gas money to come and bust you for pirating one freaking copy of server? you are far too paraniod.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Well come to think of it, youre right... The plane ticket will run them 500 bucks to get here, they will prolly need a hotel, then gas, then the pay the bastard by the hour to come can get me would prolly cost them around 1500 bucks... But i still wanna keep legal just so i know i wont get sued...

drew

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Is there a specific reason you need the Server edition of Win2k? Why not just load up Win2k Pro and run the web server on there? Which Web Server software were you planning on using, not IIS I hope.

I ran a web/ftp/email server on a Cyrix 150MHz machine with 512MB ram running Win2K Pro RC2 for over a year and never had a single problem with it. Unless there are some specific features in the Server Edition that you can't do without, I'd go with Pro. But honestly, you can run most of the same stuff in Pro with a little tinkering :)

Give it a shot, it just might be worth the money you'd save.

-Javic

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Yah i looked into that, but pro doesnt have the DNS feature i need to make muiltple domain names for websites point to the same web server... If it did, hell id take pro any day :)....

drew

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
There is PLENTY of 3rd party software out there that you can use to handle your DNS. You definitely don't need to load server if thats the only reason you're doing it. Hell, go to www.dyndns.org, pay them a small one time fee and they'll run all your virtual hosts for your domain. Thats what I use and its awesome. I log on and set up as many vhosts as I want. When I signed up it was a 1 time "donation" of $30 per root domain name, but I think they've changed it slightly but its still pretty cheap. Its worth looking into.

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
YAh ill check that out, but im also in this for the education. I graduate in may from high school and i want to try to get a decent summer job. Since i already got my N+, A+, won several awards for networking, and im just about to test for my CCNA, i think i might be able to land a good entry level job. But im sure not only will they want to me be able to configure cisco routers and switches, but they also would have me do some type of network administration.

Drew, Thanks for the reply!