Laptop hdd change from master to slave

Logikal1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Hello, I'm trying to change my laptop hdd from master to slsve, The hdd won't boot up so i'm trying to hook it up to another computer. The hdd is a SATA with no pins to jumper. Windows 7 OS. I need the files on that drive badly so don't want to wipe the drive. Can get F2 BIOS , F8 & F12. Anything I try gets me a BSOD &/or auto shutdown & restart. F8 screen all choices do the same. Thank you in advance for anyone trying to help.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
With SATA drives there is no Master/Slave. It only applies to IDE drives and that was because you had more than one drive on the same cable. With SATA it's one drive, one cable. Which drive is booted from gets set in your BIOS.

If you just want to attach it as a secondary drive in another machine all you have to do is plug it into a SATA port and make sure the original hard drive remains above it in boot order.

cklaubur

Distinguished
Serial ATA doesn't use Master/Slave settings. You should be able to connect it to any computer or adapter that uses a SATA connector without a problem. You will not be able to boot off it, unless the computer you plug it into is very similar to the computer you pulled the drive from, however. You should still be able to pull the files you need from it, though.

Casey

You have to set the HDD in the BIOS as the second HDD, and you have to disable S.M.A.R.T. so it's recognised and can be accessed. If that doesn't help, you may have to perform a CHKDSK /R from a Live CD or Windows Recovery Console... as last resort you may want to try accessing it from a USB enclosure.

cklaubur

Distinguished

S.M.A.R.T settings shouldn't matter as far as whether the drive is detected or not. If the drive still works, it should be detected once the drive is plugged into the computer.

Casey

You're right... it's obviously not a recongnition problem... doesn't even make sense with the rest of what I said. Guess I must have mixed answers.