Status
Not open for further replies.

nick5434

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Long story short i recently lost my gaming laptop and pc in a wildfire. Now im shopping for replacements. The thing is i leave for the navy in February so buying just one makes sense. And not knowing how often ill be moving around the laptop seems like the obvious choice. Im just worried if i go that route how long it would last. I mean the Asus g74sx (i love the aesthetic and cooling design) is $1400 but you could build a killer desktop for that price in comparison. I would like to be playing BF3, Metro 2033, Skyrim, Rage, Guild Wars 2 would probably be taking all my time when it comes out. But how well would this laptop age and how well do you think it would run these games?

Link to the laptop

That GTX 560M is roughly equal to a GTS 450, a $100 desktop graphics card. At 1920x1080 resolution it has a good chance to run those games on High settings. Except Metro 2033 which should run well on Medium settings.
As for aging - unlike a desktop you can't update the GPU. 4 years from now you'll be using the same GTX 560M for your games with the G74SX.

A small form factor desktop could probably be a good option for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.