Sign in with
Your question

p4 ram?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2002 4:16:25 AM

Newbie here! Have P4-1.6a O/C to a 1.984 V-core @ 1.75 Mobo=845brookdale, Mem-640 SDram(unfortunately), runs idle at 46 C and 32 C. Running on reg. air w/2 extra case fans. When running Quake 3, Vid card locks up after 5 min.(Radeon 7200) After reboot, temp of CPU is only 58 C... Why is card locking up? Thanx!!!
overclocked?????( can that even happen...haha)sorry;asus@400mhz.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Toester on 07/19/02 01:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : ram

July 19, 2002 5:37:09 AM

cpu temp has nothing to do with video card temps.

i suggest you leve the side of your case off, and/or get a fan/hairdryer to blow cool air at the video card. if stability improves then your video card is overheating.

i also advise running a cpu intensive application like RC5, seti@home or prime95 to stress test your cpu/ram/motherboard and PSU.
if your computer locks up running those then its NOT the graphics card at fault.

Ego: Check
Rose hued glasses: Check
Fanboy Button: Check
CPU forum, here i come! :smile:
July 19, 2002 1:23:47 PM

thx, LHGpoobaa---------will giv er a try!!

:) 
Related resources
July 19, 2002 1:30:53 PM

1.75V for going from 1.6A to 2.0? Try lowering the voltages, it'll make the core last longer. Lowest possible voltages while being stable is best.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2002 8:04:14 PM

Dude, you're getting a Dell. No, but seriously, you should drop the core voltage to 1.65v or less and raise the bus speed to exactly 133MHz. That should make all the options for your board available, at 133MHz FSB your PCI bus will operate within spec when using the 1/4 divider and your AGP will run withing spec using the 1/2 divider. Any other ratios are wrong and will result in either instability or poor performance.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 19, 2002 8:15:56 PM

except that the lowest setting for v core is 1.75,,,,unless u can tell me how to change that?

:) 
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2002 11:50:50 PM

It's not a 1.6A then, it's the old Willy P4 1600, with 256k cache, .18 micron process core, and you're damned lucky it made it that far.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 20, 2002 6:43:50 AM

One thing if you are using a hair dryer to cool you cpu make sure its on the cool air setting or better yet play it safe and just use a regular house fan. If the vid card is what is crashing did you overclock it, if not you may have to fiddle with your overclock (133) to get a more stable agp divider.
a b à CPUs
July 20, 2002 7:36:47 AM

d00d, I don't even OWN a hairdryer, and my system only crashes when the RAM overheats, do to a problem with the motherboard (RAM tested fine on other boards, same system).

July 21, 2002 6:16:15 AM

Well I guess that rules out the possibility of you having a girlfriend ;)  Seriously though neither do I my hair is so short it air dries pretty quick. However I do have many spare fans around the house which I sometimes aim at my pc when testing out its limits for overclocking. Helps me to determine whether or not it would be worth it to invest in a better fan for my hsf or in more case fans.
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2002 7:20:29 AM

Well, I've had some offers, but knowing how my wife would feel about it, I had to decline.

July 21, 2002 7:28:49 AM

LOL you mean your wife doesn't have a hair dryer either? Or were you not refering to the lack of and hairdryers in the house, but rather that you just personally don't own one?
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2002 8:10:43 AM

Nope, hairdryer=damaged hair. She might have one hidden somewhere, but I haven't seen her hairdryer in a long time, I think she probably got rid of it.

July 22, 2002 10:45:54 PM

I guess I was(am)!!willy---for Williamette??And if so;what are the o/cing maximums for this particular cpu? oh yeah ;thanks for the tip----I backed it down to 1750 and she runs great
Also, why does it show up as maximum for this cpu as 2355 on one prog.,and 2400 on others??
:) <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Toester on 07/22/02 06:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
July 23, 2002 12:30:46 AM

Usually between 1.8GHz and 2.1GHz depending on the chip. The Williamette had other performance problems, such as it's lower amount of cache, and slower timings somewhere (I think in the Cache). In fact, the new Celeron 1.7 is based on the Willy.

!