upgrade

metlhed

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
Hi everyone I am a newbie here and I am trying to upgrade this HP Pavilion 3266 from a Pentium mmx 233 to a amd k6-2 400 but am unable to find any support for the jumpers settings. Maybe someone knows where I could look for this or if I'm crazy for trying. Now this motherboard has no FCC id or manufacturers part number or any number I could find to help identify who made the board or do anything with it. I tried adjusting some of the jumpers following the printed data on the board, to no avail. Any help here would be immensly appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph03721.html" target="_new">http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph03721.html</A>

But that page doesn't give you all the information you really need. I can.

OK, first of all, I've set up many K6-2 systems with 2.8v core setting instead of 2.2v, when the lower settings were not available. I have found this to be very reliable when you cool the CPU properly. Because the CPU will produce a great amount of heat at 2.8v, you will need to use a very large cooler. I recomend an AMD Socket A type cooler, as used for Durons, Thunderbirds, and XP's. Yes, the larger cooler WILL FIT, even though most techs don't know this. You don't need a fancy one, the cheap $10 Duron coolers work fine, much better than any traditional Socket 7 cooler.

Now, the page doesn't give you the proper multiplier settings either. The K6-2 series starting at about 350MHz could use a little built in conversion factor, where 2x on the board is 6x on the CPU. Known by many as the 2x=6x trick, it's actually a designed in feature to make the CPU compatable with older boards such as yours. For the 2x multiplier, move JBF0 to 2-3, JBF1 stays at 1-2, JBF2 stays at 1-2.

That's it! Just move JBF0 to 2-3 and mount a big cooler on the K6-2 400, and 400MHz is yours!

I did notice that you were lucky enough to get the TX chipset board instead of the VX. What this means to you is that you can use STANDARD SDRAM in your board, even PC133 if it's cheaper. But the limit of DENSITY for the TX chipset is 16MB per CHIP, so that a MODULE with 16 chips can be up to 256MB! Such modules are available at Crucial, my Crucial 256MB PC133 works fine in my TX boards.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

metlhed

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
crashman i appreciate the reply but it didnt work. The puter boots up,ram count then freeze. any suggestions?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does the RAM count faster?

OK, some boards BIOS is not compatable. This is not a common problem as it only affects about 10% of Pentium MMX boards or less. A BIOS update may help!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

metlhed

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
Unfortunately I have been unsuccessfull in finding a bios upgrade so unless anyone has any ideas my search is over. I will leave this machine as a 233.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Try fiddling around with BIOS settings with your current BIOS, but I think you might find you're simply one of the unlucky few. Oh, one thing that might help in your quest-look at the board for manufacturer markings, HP doesn't make their own boards, and the original manufacturer might have BIOS that works.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
to a fellow Metal Head... =)

did u increase the voltage? Leave it as is? (2.8 for Pentium MMX) AND did u make sure u used better Heatsink and Fan ?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

metlhed

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
Yes I left the voltage setting at 2.8 and used a heatsink and fan from an athlon 1000. Dunno maybe it wasnt enough?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Damn, that sux, but maybe it's an Intel board? Does it have a long, narrow sticker on it?

metlhed

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
The only sticker is one with a barcode, and it has m8311heq73536 qs11 ro10. This is all the markings that it has.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
HP uses a lot of Asus motherboards, but usually they have the model number screenprinted on them in large letters!