Sign in with
Your question

Component Options

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Components
Last response: in CPUs
July 19, 2002 1:09:34 PM

Well, I've been away to SharkyExtreme and Hard|Forums for a while now, but it seems like the posts (at least in the graphics section) have gotten to be of a much higher quality. And plus, I'm starting to miss this place. (BTW, I don't understand how FatBurger could not come back :frown: .)

I'm gonna build my first computer this summer and I'm kinda stuck on some things. I'd really appreciate your guy's help!

Ok, first off the video card. As you guys might know, the R300 is a wicked kick-ass card, but after thinking about it, I dunno if the card is a good deal at first. I mean it's awesome and smashes everything else to itty bitty pieces, but I'm sure if you waited even a month after the initial release, prices will most likely be in the low $300, and if we're lucky into the high $200. So, would it be more *prudent* to get a Ti4200/R8500 at first for this computer, then wait a while til prices drop and either get a R9700, or maybe even wait for the .13u R300 or NV30. Then, the Ti4200/R8500 could go into my P4 1.4GHz box. (replacing my Radeon AIW)

Second, would it be better to get a P4 1.8A or 2.26B to overclock? The 2.26B may be able to overclock to 3GHz sometimes, but the overclock percentage isn't really close to a P4 1.8A @ 150FSB, or 2.7GHz. I personally feel that the 2.26B may not be worth it...(BTW, I'm Canadian, so, please don't refer to newegg.com. I know it's a great store, but unfortunately, no international shipping.) Also, since this is my first try at building computers, I'm trying to keep it ~$1200-1400CDN, so that if I screw up horribly, I won't kill myself.

Also, I'll probably be getting a RDRAM setup(AMD_Man's suggestion, a good one at that). Also since RAM costs such a load nowadays, I'm only gonna be able to get 256MB if I get a 2.26B, I'd get 512MB if I'm getting the 1.8A, something else to chew on. I'm lookin at the TH7II, cause I've heard it's one of the best RDRAM overclocking mobos. I don't need the USB 2.0, cause I have a FireWire card. Also, I like it cause you can lock the PCI bus(?). Also, what about the AGP bus? Is there a locking thing for it, or is there at least a divider?

Well, kind of a long post, but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks from the n00b... :wink: :tongue:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, is the RDRAM a better choice over PC2700 DDR, even if it's $30 more?

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chuck232 on 07/19/02 10:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : component options

July 19, 2002 5:16:11 PM

Bumpitty Bump!! (No one? :frown: )

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:
July 19, 2002 7:23:18 PM

Quote:

Second, would it be better to get a P4 1.8A or 2.26B to overclock? The 2.26B may be able to overclock to 3GHz sometimes, but the overclock percentage isn't really close to a P4 1.8A @ 150FSB, or 2.7GHz. I personally feel that the 2.26B may not be worth it...(BTW, I'm Canadian, so, please don't refer to newegg.com. I know it's a great store, but unfortunately, no international shipping.) Also, since this is my first try at building computers, I'm trying to keep it ~$1200-1400CDN, so that if I screw up horribly, I won't kill myself.

Today's game consume lots of RAM, and if you don't have enough, there will be pauses in the game no matter what graphics card you have. Definitely get the P4 1.8A and 512MB RDRAM.

Quote:

Also, what about the AGP bus? Is there a locking thing for it, or is there at least a divider?

Yup, both are locked. You can either choose a divider or lock the PCI/AGP bus.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
Related resources
July 19, 2002 8:11:46 PM

Ok thanks. Anyone else?

a b à CPUs
July 19, 2002 8:45:45 PM

TH7-II is a great board with one SEVERE shortcomming-it only has 400MHz DRCG's, aka Dynamic Rambus Clock Generators, to regulate the memory speed. They can usually handle overclocking to around 533MHz, beyond that they are very spotty. This is why I've been recommending i850E boards lately. The Gigabyte GA-8IHXP is probably the best i850E board, with the most options.

Yep, I'd go with the 1.8A. If you want to purchase through Newegg.com, we can arrange something, I'm a system builder. PC1066 is best, Kingston modules are rated at 32ns which supports PC1200 speed for a perfect match to your 150MHz bus speed hopes.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 20, 2002 12:54:47 AM

Quote:
TH7-II is a great board with one SEVERE shortcomming-it only has 400MHz DRCG's, aka Dynamic Rambus Clock Generators, to regulate the memory speed. They can usually handle overclocking to around 533MHz, beyond that they are very spotty. This is why I've been recommending i850E boards lately. The Gigabyte GA-8IHXP is probably the best i850E board, with the most options.

After looking around a bit more, I think I'm gonna go with DDR RAM. Seems to be cheaper and the difference isn't really that much. Also, I don't think I'd want to lay down that much dough for that GigaByte mobo. I mean this is supposed to be a test rig. If I screw up building this, I don't wanna lose too much. I'll stick with DDR for now and the next comp I build, it'll be more top-end.

Quote:
Yep, I'd go with the 1.8A. If you want to purchase through Newegg.com, we can arrange something, I'm a system builder. PC1066 is best, Kingston modules are rated at 32ns which supports PC1200 speed for a perfect match to your 150MHz bus speed hopes.

As I said, I'm not gonna be building this as a high-end computer. Also, to go along with my hopes of a 150MHz FSB, I'll be getting some DDR400 and I'll run it at 3:4 FSB:D RAM ratio. Hopefully, I'll even get it to run at CAS2. I'm not gonna bother ordering from newegg.com, cause first, the exchange rate is real crappy, and second, the prices from CanadaComputers isn't bad. But thanks for the offer anyways!

a b à CPUs
July 20, 2002 3:35:46 AM

OK!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 20, 2002 6:32:41 AM

Ok myself I would go with the 1.8A and DDR 400 which you seem to have chosen already. 512 of ram is a must. I would save my money and get one of the older cards myself if you are getting an 8500 though you migth wanna do it soon as they are being discontinued now that the 9000 are out. Buying second or third best saves you money for that next upgrade so you can upgrade more often and building systems is fun. As for Canadian dealers you can try http://www.ncix.com/canada/ (I bought some ram from them once - good prices on most stuff) if you let me know what area of canada you are in I can give you some more options. But even with shipping sometimes US prices are cheaper though it will make you cringe to shell out for the exchange rate and see how worthless the funny money is ;) 
!