Wireless Network Advice

I am looking for some advice on my wireless network.

Here is the setup:
I have an MN-700 wired input from my cable modem and
wired outputs to a couple pc's and an MN-500 (about 10
feet away) to try to extend the range. I then have a
Media Center wired to the MN-500 and an XBox Media Center
Extender wireless to the MN-500 to access the MCE.

Here is the trouble:
The XBox loses its signal quite often making it very
frustrating to do anything with it. I am pretty sure this
is due to the distance and walls between the MN-500 and
the wireless adapter on the XBox.

Question:
Does anyone have any recommendations? I found on this
forum that the Microsoft bases stations have to be wired
to extend the wireless. As far as I have been able to
find there are no antennas or boosters available for the
MS stuff. Is there another manufacturers hardware,
antenna, booster, etc, that I could use to extend my
wireless bubble or do I need to start over from scratch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless network advice

    Media Center Edition Extenders don't function well on 802.11b networks, you
    should at least run on the MN-700 with 802.11g. That's recommended, along
    with 802.11a. If you have further questions, I would suggest you post with
    details to the microsoft.public.mediacenter newsgroup.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Ron Mills" <ronmills@windowsx.com> wrote in message
    >I am looking for some advice on my wireless network.
    >
    > Here is the setup:
    > I have an MN-700 wired input from my cable modem and
    > wired outputs to a couple pc's and an MN-500 (about 10
    > feet away) to try to extend the range. I then have a
    > Media Center wired to the MN-500 and an XBox Media Center
    > Extender wireless to the MN-500 to access the MCE.
    >
    > Here is the trouble:
    > The XBox loses its signal quite often making it very
    > frustrating to do anything with it. I am pretty sure this
    > is due to the distance and walls between the MN-500 and
    > the wireless adapter on the XBox.
    >
    > Question:
    > Does anyone have any recommendations? I found on this
    > forum that the Microsoft bases stations have to be wired
    > to extend the wireless. As far as I have been able to
    > find there are no antennas or boosters available for the
    > MS stuff. Is there another manufacturers hardware,
    > antenna, booster, etc, that I could use to extend my
    > wireless bubble or do I need to start over from scratch?

    Thanks for the advice on the mce. In general I would also
    like more information on extending the wireless bubble.
    Not just for the mce but also for my laptop in the
    backyard, in the kitchen, etc.

    Any suggestions or advice would be very helpful.

    Thanks
    Ron
    http://www.windowsx.com

    General networking suggestions are listed on the Expert Zone in a lot of MVP
    Barb Bowman's columns if you'd like to check those. There is also a lot of
    information on the www.practicallynetworked.com . The one thing I would
    definitely suggest you not do is have your MCE and your Extender set up
    wirelessly. The MCE does need to be wired to the router, while the Extender
    can be wireless.
    --

    > Thanks for the advice on the mce. In general I would also
    > like more information on extending the wireless bubble.
    > Not just for the mce but also for my laptop in the
    > backyard, in the kitchen, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions or advice would be very helpful.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Ron
    > http://www.windowsx.com

Routers Wireless Network Media Center Networking