Sign in with
Your question

Help fixing un bootable windows.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
May 31, 2010 7:04:06 PM

hi again,

i am in need of your help professionals!

i have installed windows 7 32bit and last night, i was trying to install adobe reader and my computer became very unresponsive so i restarted it.

after that, i was not able to get into windows. it would go into the windows 7 loading screen and then just reboot.
i've tried loading under safe mode and it gets to classpnp.sys and reboots as well

Doing system restore is out of the question because i have no restore points. Also, doing the system repair did nothing.

Next, i looked it up on google and found various similar problems. i tried doing

bootsec /fixmbr
bootsec /fixboot
bootsec /scanos <- scan comes up with 0 OS's (bit bizarre)
bootsec /repairbCD

none of them work.

so i decided to do just a fresh install of windows XP to get into windows so all my files would still be intact.
however, when i booted up the setup, got into the file partitions, it says the partition is UNKOWN FORMAT. so i would have to do a "quick format" to NTFS, but its already in NTFS. and if i do a quick format all my files would be lost. i perfer not to use data recovery programs because they can be quite time consuming.

any help would be much much appreciated.
thank you
a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2010 7:37:28 PM

You could try a clean install of W7 by booting with the dvd, if you havn't formated the drive, Windows will wrap the old instalation up into a folder called Windows.old from which you can recover your data files then delete.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2010 8:57:38 PM

telrin said:
hi again,

i am in need of your help professionals!

i have installed windows 7 32bit and last night, i was trying to install adobe reader and my computer became very unresponsive so i restarted it.

after that, i was not able to get into windows. it would go into the windows 7 loading screen and then just reboot.
i've tried loading under safe mode and it gets to classpnp.sys and reboots as well

Doing system restore is out of the question because i have no restore points. Also, doing the system repair did nothing.

Next, i looked it up on google and found various similar problems. i tried doing

bootsec /fixmbr
bootsec /fixboot
bootsec /scanos <- scan comes up with 0 OS's (bit bizarre)
bootsec /repairbCD

none of them work.

so i decided to do just a fresh install of windows XP to get into windows so all my files would still be intact.
however, when i booted up the setup, got into the file partitions, it says the partition is UNKOWN FORMAT. so i would have to do a "quick format" to NTFS, but its already in NTFS. and if i do a quick format all my files would be lost. i perfer not to use data recovery programs because they can be quite time consuming.

any help would be much much appreciated.
thank you

At this point, it is going to be best to perform a clean install and format from your Windows 7 DVD. Jonmor68 is correct -- if you don't format, or haven't formatted yet, you can select "custom" install. Windows will move your files to a "windows.old" folder.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
l
!