natport

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
How much could cpu's overclock and how?
by tweaking the bios?
cuz i have an intel845dwn mobo and i dunno how to use it...

Intel mobos usually don't have any options for overclocking, but that may change soon. If your board has any options, hit the "del" key on the lower right side of the keyboard when you turn it on, and check the bios for a "frequency/voltage control" section. You'll need to find the "cpu clock" setting, and a "cpu voltage" setting. If you want more replies, please post your system specs (cpu, power supply, etc).

natport

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I'll check it out
Here r the specs :)

Pentium4 1.8ghz socket 478(northwood?)
intel 845dwn mobo
256sdram(sux)
geforce 2mx400 64mb :(
230w power(i think so)

eden

Champion
Man, you must've been really clueless when you bought this comp! Or was it not you?

Northwoods can be found by checking the cache size, that's the easiest way. Or check the place where you bought it, or the retail box, it should have said 1.8A or at least specified the cache. Get WCPUID to easily determine once and for all.

As for SDRAM, even OCing won't give it much, considering 1: SDRAM kills P4s, 2: Intel mobos are usually less performing, so now you got to OC so much to get some performance improvements or similar performance to regular RDRAM P4s.
As for PSU, man that is weak! I'd recommend 300-350W, to ensure future upgradability, like if you wanted to change video cards, add hard disks, CD-ROMs, etc. Possible that OCing could use more W and the PSU may not support it.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Intel mobos are designed not to be overclocked but to run stable. And they run exactly like they are designed.
In most cases, you can't even increase the bus speed. You may try soft overclocking. In these forums such programs have been posted lots of times.
A friend of mine had the same problem. He managed just to increase the CPU voltage and this fastened its CPU. Anyway, this may be dangerous - if your fan is not good and/or if you increase the voltage with more than 0.05V at a time, you may destroy the CPU.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Sounds like he got Delled/HPed/IBMed.... Just a thought. Well, to tell you the truth, your system may be a little hopeless in the way of overclocking. Intel mobos do not allow overclocking at all AFAIK... Maybe buy a new mobo and RAM (RDRAM if you can afford it, DDR RAM if not) and then don't buy an Intel mobo. ABIT/EPoX are great for overclocking. PSU is a bit weak, especially for overclocking. Maybe think about getting an Enermax 350W PSU. So, it'll probably cost you... ohh... ~$300USD to get new RAM, PSU, and mobo, depending on how much and how good.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

BuddyAtBzboyz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
But you also gotta rembember if you do upgrade your motherboard ram and power supply some brand name computers don't follow the atx spec cough Dell cough!

natport

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Seriously .....
I really made a sucking mistake when i bought this com 8 months ago
Now i feel it
I could have got ddram wit a shuttle board just for the same price but i have to wait for two weeks more(SUCK)!!!!
NVM now
i'll maybe change the psu and mobo as well as the ram, the video card sux(getting a geforce 4 ti when NV30 is released!)
BTW,
how can i get the specs inspecting software>?

eden

Champion
Hmm well WCPUID is a good detailed spec finder, it won't detail the motherboard name and such but will go indepth on the hardware specs, like your CPU's capabilities, chipset and even cache details like associativity and types of writes. Just fire up Google, type WCPUID and voilà! First entry should lead to the website.

I recommend you consider waiting for the Radeon 9700, it is up to 40% better than the Ti4600. And by the NV30's time, its price might go down to the Ti4600's when that card goes down in price as well. So you can get much more from the Radeon 9700's price drop later on.

When you get DDR RAM (hopefully it's a Northwood, hope to god it is), you can OC it and notice a BIG difference for sure. Again hope to god it's an NW. If it is, you can get as high as 2.4GHZ almost guaranteed, at stock cooling! If it's a Wilamette, you're in tough luck buddy.

--

Imanewbie

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
What cache size indicates a Northwood processor? I'm sure I could find this info somewhere on this site, but its sometimes a better explanation in a forum.

eden

Champion
Well you got one explanation in 7 words lol!

Though you should still think of reading and keeping up with current CPUs, so that way one day we don't get people coming and asking what are Pentium IIs or where are the Amigas!

--

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can overclock a "400" bus P4 to "533" bus on an Intel motherboard, but it requires you to break a pin off!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehehe
aint it tragic... imagine if that p4 was replaced with a half cache celleron LOL

<b>Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped! :cool: </b>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
As I just found out my 1.6a is actually a 1.6 "willy" cache size=256="willy", 512 cache=NW...run WCPUID----it'll tell you real fast.:(

:wink: They can't fire me,slaves have to be sold !!! :wink:

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
As I just found out my 1.6a is actually a 1.6 "willy", cache size=256="willy", 512 cache=NW...run WCPUID----it'll tell you real fast.:(

:wink: They can't fire me,slaves have to be sold !!! :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh, well, I saw a Dell P4 1.4 come with SDRAM and an ATI Rage 128-for ultra realistic 3d graphics!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

natport

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Yeah i know bout the ati and nvidia battle..
but i want to get a card at 150-200 USD and that paticular card wouldn fit in the budget :(
gotta wait till the end of the year to get an upgrade man...............

so i'll see wat's good for the price later when i finally get to upgrade