Sign in with
Your question

How hot is too hot?

Last response: in CPUs
July 20, 2002 3:18:57 PM

I am curious as to how hot the Athlon Xp 2100+ can get before it will be bad for the processor, also there is a part two to this question. What kind of cooling system do people use to keep it cool. Thanks P.S I am also using an A7V333 Asus motherboard if that info helps any.

More about : hot hot

July 20, 2002 4:37:39 PM

WEll I have Dual Athlons @ 1200, and a standard system @2000+ both systems run at around 45 Degree Celcius and my room is very hot in the summer. Ambient temp in my room sumtimes hits 75 or 80...

I use Thermaltakes volcano 7 on all the machines cuz it looks cool and it works very well... I also use thermal grease

hope that helped
July 20, 2002 5:47:57 PM

So does that mean i shouldn't go over 45 degrees celsius? I do a lot of 3d rendering with this computer and when I render it levels out at 71-72 degrees celsius. I am trying to figure out how much cooler I need it to be without having to worry about it frying.
Related resources
July 20, 2002 6:16:24 PM

No that means you shouldn't be over 65C. Athlons run very hot. If it don't crash, you're fine. But running consistently over 65C can be a bad thing. 90C is what AMD says will kill the core, and most people tend to agree 66C or more can lead to an early death for the core. So if it's over 65C alot I'd upgrade my cooling.

"Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one"
July 20, 2002 7:41:25 PM

I see, so what sort of cooling systems do people use to keep it within a safe range then? I know I have heard a lot about thermaltake volcanoe 7+ are there any other set- ups I should be aware of? Thanks
July 21, 2002 7:05:02 AM

Use some good thermal paste, get a decent hsf (which means its probably gunna be loud) and get some more case fans in your case. Try even leaveing the case sides off. I generally don't like going above 65, but I sometimes tolerate 70. Of course I won't have my system for more then 2 years so it doesn't matter much to me if it doesn't last 5 years ;) 
July 21, 2002 8:50:09 AM

When I oc my 1800 a lot or ambient room temp is too high, my sytem can get up to 62C idle. It usually crashes at 70C, max operating temp for athlons is 90C (i think) I'd recomend the Tt Dragon Orb 3 because its cheap ($25) and cools well, looks good. Also Arctic Silver 3, for thermal interface.
July 21, 2002 12:40:18 PM

Quote:
No that means you shouldn't be over 65C. Athlons run very hot. If it don't crash, you're fine. But running consistently over 65C can be a bad thing. 90C is what AMD says will kill the core, and most people tend to agree 66C or more can lead to an early death for the core. So if it's over 65C alot I'd upgrade my cooling.

Most agree if by early you mean 3 months off a 20 year lifespan.

The plain fact of the matter is thus.

No matter what temprature you run at, as long as it dosent lock up you can do no harm to the cpu, if it locks up you have gotten too hot.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
July 21, 2002 1:41:28 PM

Quote:
If it locks up you have gotten too hot.

Is that your method of thermal protection?

This sig runs too hot.
July 21, 2002 2:09:31 PM

Its not about thermal protection, its about a safe constant operating temprature.

If my cpu runs at 70C under load and does not lock up, then it is FINE.

If it locks at 74C I set my thermal protection for 73C.

MY comments on the subject have nothing to do with protection and burn up, but are related to safe operating tempratures.

Some people try and tell others that they need to keep their cpus below 55C or 60C to prevent damage, this is an utter falsehood one I seek to correct each time I read it. Any temprature which is low enough so that an athlon does not lock up, is NOT high enough to cause damage to the cpu! That is what I strive to get out to people!

July 21, 2002 2:35:35 PM

I agree that 65C isnt so bad, but there should be a "worry" point where it's just too hot. In a previous thread you stated that mobo monitors, and bios readings are notoriously incorrect. So with that said, the AMD thermal protection system goes right out the window. Now your stating in order to find where the thermal protection should be set at by letting your system freeze, and then setting protection one degree lower. That's one degree shy of system lockup. Can you see the flaw in the thermal protection now? Even by your own statements. I know this is digging up old arguments, but you are contradicting youself. Saying on one hand AMD thermal prot is no worse than intels, and in some cases better.....and on the other hand stating that mobo readings are never on target. That may be true, mobo readings may be off. But some of these people may actually have a problem. Bad sitting sink, not enough thermal goop, dirty fins.....whatever. Those things can eventually lead to instability. W/O having a freeze, what do you set the thermal protection at? How hot is too hot?

This sig runs too hot.
July 21, 2002 2:48:01 PM

Umm, not to invalidate the time you spent looking for a loophole in my debate and stand then trying to draw me into an ambush ;-).

But amds properly specified thermal protection runs automatically, and you do not set a temprature for it to shut off at.(and if you do ((which you might I am not sure if amd specified protection allows you to change that temp)), however any temp below 90C will suffice as the protection runs independant of the possibly locked processor.)

Make no mistake(ugh dubya comment) the method you described is what you do for SOFTWARE thermal monitoring, not for amd specified thermal protection(which to date has few supported motherboards I am aware).

That is all, resume your attempts to destroy me ;-).

Quote:
Those things can eventually lead to instability. W/O having a freeze, what do you set the thermal protection at? How hot is too hot?

PS: for all intents and purposes instability=lockup. JUst to clarify, if you have instability(crashing apps etc) those are covered by my use of the term "lockup"(meaning programs etc).

As for your what do you set your thermal protection too? The best way IMO is to download toast, and set the cutoff 2 degress F higher than the temp you reach with that app.

YOu will most likely NEVER stress the cpu temp to that level, but if your playing quake 3, and your cpu shuts off due to your software monitoring, but you didnt have a crash, raise said temp another degree.

But I am digressing, my point is made my honor defended, adieu.

July 21, 2002 3:22:47 PM

Well I must say thank you to everyone that has offered there opinion for me. I am going to give a shot to some of the suggestions I have seen on here. Thanks again everyone! =0)
July 21, 2002 3:37:19 PM

Quote:
That is all, resume your attempts to destroy me ;-)

You're crafty.

Truth be told, thermal protection is only needed in a rare cases like....

A falling off heatsink (bad/weak mount, 2 fans w/ a heavy shroud).

Less than desirable ambient conditions, which computers were never designed to run in (thick humid air, hot swamp climate).

As long as everything is hooked up right, most people will never see their TP in action. So Im giving up on the TP arguments lol But will leave you w/ some facts.

1. AMD does not have on chip protection. And the limited support by mobo manus. to accept AMD's "wiring diagram" of a solution leaves AMD w/o TP or a shoddy mobo invented one in most cases.

2. The main reason you need TP is for peace of mind, and that's an illusion anyway.

3. If it werent for Toms "burning athlons" video, there would be less "how hot is too hot" threads, and less hysteria amongst noobs w/ 65C temps.

This sig runs too hot.
July 21, 2002 6:44:51 PM

i have a question...
i used a standard volcano 7+ and it blew up my motherboard and cpu, because as i was to understand and know, that it wasnt sitting on the cpu at all properly.. this resulted in the above tragigy..
it sucks, because with the fan modified and working properly now, my cpu temp goes near to 60 degrees c and i feel this is just too high..
i know its summer and so on, so it should be ok.. but i dont like cpus getting this hot.. i have tried various different fans and i just can get the xps to cool less than 50c when idle.. which is really starting to bug the hell out of me..
i use the thermal grease and ive tried various amounts of fans, what do you recommend? i even have a full tower with 6 5.25" drive bays in because i thought it would be better than a midi tower.. i sometimes have to run the machine with its side off just to get it to cool down!!
i swear if i loose another xp cpu, i will go to intel.. cos this is getting really quite annoying..

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...
July 22, 2002 5:01:38 AM

Ok first off I'm not arguing with Matisaro I'm just stating my opinion. I think knocking the protection down only one degree below the crash point is folly. The cpu doesn't just go boom at the point it freezes, it looses stability the closer it gets to that point. I would find out what temperature your computer freezes at then make sure it never reaches within 5 degrees of that temp by using better cooling. Granted you will not cause much damage if any from running the cpu just below the critical freeze point, but just because you are not hurting the cpu doesn't mean you are not loosing stability. So yes go ahead and set the protection to 1 or 2 degrees below the freeze point. But try to keep your temps as far below that as you can. I don't really worry about chip life since I won't ever own it for how long it would take for it to die. I do however like to have a stable system.
July 22, 2002 6:41:52 PM

i wasnt arguing with you, i was just saying that in my experience that the fan that was mentioned was not as good as it said it was..
my computer doesnt crash, i just want lower temperatures than what i have now.. i dont feel comfortable with the cpu temperatures up in the 50's as all the other cpus i have had have been no more than 30 at idle.. it just doesnt seem right to me...
i dont worry about the chip because i know that i will buy a new one within a year or two.. i just like it to be cooler rather than high.. its just an opinion..

July 22, 2002 7:25:55 PM

Quote:
i know its summer and so on, so it should be ok.. but i dont like cpus getting this hot.. i have tried various different fans and i just can get the xps to cool less than 50c when idle.. which is really starting to bug the hell out of me..

Athlons run hot, simple as that. If you want a cool and quiet system, Northwood it is.

Ritesh
July 23, 2002 2:21:45 AM

so tell me then... if you could obtain idle temps of 30C or less... what advantage would that give you???

would your computer run faster? last noticably longer? (given that the computer will be amazingly obselete by that time)

the numbers are all pretty meaningless anyway.
my friend had a tbird on an asus board that ran full load at 64C.
my old tbird locked up at 52C
my new XP is good for at least 70C.

if your cpu can handle full load. on the hottest day of the year, in the stuffiest room in the house... what does it matter?

<b>Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped! :cool: </b>
July 23, 2002 4:55:35 AM

Quote:
1. AMD does not have on chip protection. And the limited support by mobo manus. to accept AMD's "wiring diagram" of a solution leaves AMD w/o TP or a shoddy mobo invented one in most cases.

Bear in mind that the thermal protection is part of the socket a specification, so mobo makers are violating the spec when they exclude it.

July 23, 2002 4:57:15 AM

Quote:
fan that was mentioned was not as good as it said it was..
my computer doesnt crash, i just want lower temperatures than what i have now.. i dont feel comfortable with the cpu temperatures up in the 50's as all the other cpus i have had have been no more than 30 at idle.. it just doesnt seem right to me...

What im trying to tell you, is your 50c iS fine, and you shoudlnt waste money cause you dont feel comfortable!

July 23, 2002 4:58:05 AM

Quote:
so tell me then... if you could obtain idle temps of 30C or less... what advantage would that give you???

would your computer run faster? last noticably longer? (given that the computer will be amazingly obselete by that time)

the numbers are all pretty meaningless anyway.
my friend had a tbird on an asus board that ran full load at 64C.
my old tbird locked up at 52C
my new XP is good for at least 70C.

if your cpu can handle full load. on the hottest day of the year, in the stuffiest room in the house... what does it matter?

Spot on!

July 23, 2002 7:05:22 PM

what im saying is that i understand it fine.. i just dont like it as such..
i dont mind it being high, but i just wish it wasnt..
i have bought a new power supply so that it has two fans, one at the back of the tower and one at the base of it as it will such out hot air from the cpu.. it seems to be better.. and im having a hole punched out of the side of the case so that i can put another fan there so it can be blown onto the cpu.. or near to it..
i think that this will help enough so im not going to worry so after this..
i havent had any lock ups, with the temp being so high, but i just dont want it up that high.. and i dont want to fork out for a new mobo, cpu and memory just yet.. i have only just gotten this one!! maybe when the prescott and hammer come out... but thats a little while away.. i think!!

July 23, 2002 7:47:45 PM

Quote:
Make no mistake(ugh dubya comment)

Tell him to "Cease and desist" and then threaten him with sanctions and "precision" carpet bombing. Or is it the other way round? :lol: 

N E way.

My brand spanking new A7V333 and an AthlonXP 1800+ gets pretty hot. According to the iPanel which gets its reading from the motherboard, my system usually hovers at 57 - 59 Celcius. But after hours of DivXing, it gets to 61 celcius. I use a silent heat-pipe heatsink. I think its made by coolermaster. The other fans in the system are the GeForce tiny but LOUD fan and the two fans in the powersupply, so not a lot of airflow.

I'm thinking of installing two large intake fans, one on the front, one on the side, and an extractor fan on the back.

The overheat power cutoff on the A7V333 is pretty good. I was talking on the phone (thats my excuse :wink: ) while I was putting the system together. I put the heatsink on the CPU, but forgot to hook it on. I powered the system on, but it would switch back off before I could count to 1. (I've been told that normal people don't start counting at 0. Bloody non-programmers! I suppose that makes it counting to 2...) I did that a few times before realising that the heatsink wasn't hooked on. The processor is still good.

PS, I can kinda slide my heatsink (a bit) side to side. Does that mean I put too much thermal compound? I used Coolermaster premium compound, which is silver colour and somewhat thicker and dryer than the runny white compound in that comes with the heatsink. :smile:

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>
July 24, 2002 12:13:05 PM

Quote:
what im saying is that i understand it fine.. i just dont like it as such..
i dont mind it being high, but i just wish it wasnt..

I understand you understand that, but what I wanna know is why the temp bothers you, its NORMAL, you dont worry about your cars engine cause it runs at 200c do you, even though its supposed to run that hot.

What I dont get is why you are willing even desiring to spend extra money to lower your cpus temprature for no other reason than you have arbitrarily set 50C as too hot, when it is far from too hot, and in fact a normal temp.

July 24, 2002 3:48:59 PM

-----------
Most agree if by early you mean 3 months off a 20 year lifespan.
-----------

I strongly dissagree. It's like 6 months off 15 year lifespan.
July 24, 2002 7:29:02 PM

As far as Athlon temps, I actually hit 80c and never had a lock-up when I first built my PC. I kept increasing my FSB while using the retail HSF and one case fan! Like these guys say Athlon temps mean nada until it locks up. Also, different chips (two XP 1900's for example) might run at different temps on the same system, and might lock-up at different temps. Lots of variables. HOWEVER...

If you would like to lower temps just because you're bored and still are worried (plus it doesn't help when people post their XP's running at 40c with air cooling, yeah right!) take it from someone who's been there. With MBM 5.0 (thanks to PooBaa) I idled at 53c, and usually went up in the 60's when doing something intenstive. I didn't have my cables wrapped well, didn't have good caseflow, etc.

NOW...I use a Volcano 7+ HSF on medium setting, AC3, taped all cables and case holes, one intake fan (low, front) and two exhaust (all 80mm fans). What REALLY cooled me down is the blowhole cut I made to the top of the case (roof). My exhaust on the back of my case just couldn't keep up, and the blowhole exhaust gets rid of any trapped hot air up top (since heat rises). I used a Craftsman Rotary tool to cut (and it did take me 20 minutes and 5 disks).

Now I run a 150 FSB with a 12.5 multiplier on an XP 2000 and never go above 56c (but I also have an air conditioner..., so I have low ambients to start with). Now I'm much happier, feel better, and am able to get decent overclocks. Good Luck.

<font color=purple>Pentiums are for wusses who are afraid of instability</font color=purple>
July 24, 2002 9:24:41 PM

Quote:
I strongly dissagree. It's like 6 months off 15 year lifespan.

And why do you say that, do you have any 15 yearold cpus which ran hot and lost 6 months?

And even giving you the point(which I dont) if you have the same cpu in 15 years you deserve to have it fry(forced upgrade).

The point is life loss due to heat is not a consideration since whatever minor damage is done wont be apparent for another 15 years!

July 24, 2002 11:22:13 PM

I think he was just being funny.

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>
July 24, 2002 11:24:13 PM

Woohoo! I lose 10 degrees just by removing the sides of the case.

July 25, 2002 12:21:12 AM

when black goo oozes from the cpu die...then its too hot

Introducing Tapeworms! The new big thing for weight loss!
July 25, 2002 2:21:19 AM

if thats the case (sic) then u probably need slightly better case ventilation.
just a thought.

<b>Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped! :cool: </b>
July 25, 2002 2:25:12 AM

how about...

When flames lick out from under the HSF and the aluminium of the HSF runs like butter :lol: 

July 25, 2002 2:34:24 AM

Quote:
When flames lick out from under the HSF and the aluminium of the HSF runs like butter

Then the fire leaps to your carpet and burns the house down heh.

July 25, 2002 3:12:45 AM

Roflmao! or when the styrofoam that you put under your brothers mobo when you built it for him has melted and you can scramble eggs on the top its case because the heat sink "accidentaly" came off? and the "organic" packaging of the xp becomes creamated and flys through the exaust fans? huh what then? then is it too hot??

Introducing Tapeworms! The new big thing for weight loss!
July 25, 2002 2:33:43 PM

My apologies Matisaro.
You're OK.
July 25, 2002 6:00:05 PM

sic ...

Wheres my mistake? I get the pun. :tongue:

Yeah I know, I can't be bothered with extra fans right now. Gone are the days where I'd duct cold air from the chimny duct to drive through the case, using pringle tubes might I add.

Right now I'll just gonna have to sort out the three loudest things in my comp. The GeForce fan. Maybe replace the card, but cards these days seem to have even louder fans. Then I'll get a quiet PSU. Any suggestions? And finally replace my two hdds with one 120GB Seagate (or is it IBM) drive that has ceramic bearing. Is that better than the normal bearing used? it was the quietest in a benchmark of some 12 drives or something.

Then my computer will become bearable. I'll actually be louder the computer! Woohoo! [spinning on the floor a la homer] Woooooot, woot woot woot, woooooot, woot woot woot!

July 25, 2002 9:12:30 PM

well, im not so worried about it all now, because i now have a 400watt power supply that has a fan at the bottom and this sucks hot air out of there and then out the back of the tower.. works too, there is a difference..
i do have a fan in the side of my case, which will put cold air into it.. which i think will help again.. im not sure how much but im sure it will be fine..

i dont personally use the volcano 7+ fan anymore because it blew up my motherboard and cpu, which i was none to happy about.. really annoyed me actually.. apparently it was a very bad design according to my mate who works in the local computer shop..
i have a full 6 bay tower, so air isnt really a problem, its just trying to get cold air in, rather than anything else..
i havent actually tried overclocking my xp, as i think its fast enough as it is, plus i get told that overclocking it doesnt really work that well as you dont get that much of a overclock, unlike a intel 4 1.8a... is it just the multiplier thats fixed (unless you unlock it) or what? how do you overclock your xp????
i have three xp systems, two are using kg7s, and mine is using a kr7.. any pointers please?
well, i will post some results when i get my side of my case back.. should be interesting!!

July 25, 2002 9:29:54 PM

I have a V7+ on my Athlon 1.3 (oced from 1.13) and it sits at 40c on LOW. This is according to my cunning Hardcano III ;)  The best accessory for the V7+ :) 
July 25, 2002 9:54:23 PM

i oc my 1.5 to 1.65, looks like it can't go any higher on this ecs board.. anyways, by adding another fan to the standard p4 heatsink, temp was able to drop from around 45C to 35C.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>
July 25, 2002 11:47:27 PM

for a quiet PSU u cant go past the enermax whispers. 430W should be buckets. loots of nice overhead

if you want a quiet drive, i reccomend either the seagate with fluid bearings or the 1200JB.
(normal bearings, but still decent, and very quiet seeks)

my geforce2pro fan was noisy too. got dust in the bearings. i ripped off the entire HSF unit and used arctic silver epoxy resin to perminantly glue on a rather big socket 370 cooler with a 50mm fan. excellent cooling, nice and quiet. (but it kinda takes up 2 PCI slots)
but thats no biggy as ive got 6.

July 26, 2002 7:36:33 AM

Quote:
if you want a quiet drive, i reccomend either the seagate with fluid bearings or the 1200JB.
(normal bearings, but still decent, and very quiet seeks)

My motto is if you can hear the hdd you dont have enough cpu cooling hehe.

July 26, 2002 8:11:18 AM

I agree....Ive had my Seagate Baracudda IV 40 GB 7200RPM drive now since December 2001 and I still cant hear it seeking or doing ANY kind of disk access...i cant even tell that its on unless i put my ear right to it.. =)

Its a real cool running drive too! =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
July 26, 2002 9:53:46 AM

I´ve heard that both Seagate and Maxtor have fast harddrives with fluid bearings that are both very cheap and very silent. I have a Seagate myself, never really tried a Maxtor...
July 26, 2002 1:55:20 PM

I have a A7V266-e with a 2000+ with a ThermalTake VOlcano 7 the blue one with the copper insert and the temp controlled fan. It runs at 55 Deg at 1600 Everything on max in q3 and at 54-55 in MOHAA at 1100x with everything on MAX. Ihave a intake fan PSU and side exhaust and a BLower Slot fan. The cpu fan is fairly ... loud You could say but it dosent bother me. fan was $40 CAN!I has a 1900+ running at 74 Deg for MONTHS n months until I Actually broke it... now that i know 50 is nnormal not 60-70 it runs so much faster I find it just cant be the 67 MHZ fast cpu.. make sure the HSF is installed right. the indent is where the place where it says Socket ..a?? the litttle lip there and try to use paste
if it matters I have 3 HDS all 7200 RPM 170GB total DVD,CD-R,Geforce 3 Ti200 and its a midtower..
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SkunkWorks1 on 07/26/02 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 26, 2002 2:20:53 PM

I have Athlon XP 2100+ and A7V333.
My CPU got once to 83c but nothing happend, the game I were playing worked fine at this temperature.
I have Thermaltake VOLCANO 6cu but it can't cool my CPU.
When the air conditioner is working my IDLE temperature may lower to 64c (in the best case), but when it's off the IDLE temperature can easily reach 70c and more.
I think that there is not enough airflow in the case, my case (midi) is very hot when the CPU is loaded, especially the left side (when looking from the front of the case).

The overheating of the CPU didn't caused system instability.
(i leave in hot area and this fact makes the problem greater)

What can I do to cool my CPU?
(also, in what direction should work my 2 case's fans)
July 26, 2002 11:29:08 PM

Its not that the harddrives are loud, but the noises accumulate. The Silent heatpipe cpu cooler lives up to its name. The two fans in the PSU are pretty quiet by them selves but when put in the psu box you get quite a bit of noise in the lower frequencies, mainly from the air passing through all the obstuction in the PSU.

The Geforce fan gives out a really loud high pitch sound. I suspect it is on its way out as the also give a high pitch vibration sound, kinda like its ossilating along its axis.

Now the hard drives emit noise on a different frequency and by themselves are really quiet. But you can really hear the added effect tot he overall noise. You can't hear the seeking sounds though.

Bad news. Anyone in london would have known its been a pretty hot day. My room, getting the full blown sun in the afternoon, gets really hot even with the windows open. My CPU was 77degrees and in the middle of a divx session win2k blue screened. So I just went out to the back garden to enjoy the sunlight and listen to my DAP jukebox :lol:  . Then I cut off the air perforated fan placing areas in the front and rear of the case. Made a big whole on the side of the case, and added three fans. Its down to 46 degrees, but its loud!

I'll get those big slower fans. 120mm is it? They should be much quieter.

August 7, 2002 9:04:37 AM

well now thanks to a little time and money, i have my xp chip idling at about 40 degrees... sometimes a bit lower, thanks to a new power supply that has a fan on the bottem and that channels the hot air and takes it out the back.. and i have a case fan put on the side of my tower so i have cold air going in..
i have gone from 55 degrees idling, to sometimes under 40 degrees..
i dont think that is bad...
the fan is put by the graphics card so it cools that down too.. sort of half and half if you like..
sorted!!

August 7, 2002 8:15:04 PM

Temperatures in the 60 - 70C range are OK for an Asus A7V333. I have one with an XP2100+ and with the stock AMD heatsink and fan I got temperatures in the 70-80Cs. I was alarmed and bought an Alpha PAL 8045 heatsink, an 84cfm CPU fan, Arctic Silver III and 4 case fans. That dropped CPU temperatures 10C, to 60-70C. I expected a 20C drop, so I thought I had done something wrong in the installation of the heatsink and fan, but after asking in several forums, I found out that Asus A7V333 reads temperatures about 10C higher than other motherboards. Apparently this bug was fixed in the BIOS 1011, but I haven't had time to try it.
!