my p4?? is a what?

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
I was told that my "1.6a" is actually a "willy".So why does the max. clock speed show up as 2400 on programs like asus probe-----and if it is a "willy", what are the max. o/cing figures to run (safely?) at??? thx.

:)

eden

Champion
First and foremost, get WCPUID. You can then determine whether it has 512K L2 cache or 256K L2. The former is the Northwood, latter is a Willy. Wilamettes OC horribly compared to NWs, and no 1.6A can get to 2.4 and be called a Willy, unless on Watercooling to extreme.
Whoever says it is a Willy, is a misinformed FUD spewer.

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
Went to root of cpu... took off hsf..and wallah!!!!there on the cpu it reads:1.6ghz/256/400/1.75v along with:SL5UJ MALAY. I guess that answers most of my ????. But I've heard that good cpu's are coming out of Malaysia---is this why my "willy" didn't cave @1.984ghz??!

:)

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
It's possible. I thought you said it was running at 2.4GHz?
no...he said that the max speed indicated by programs for that particular 1.6 was 2.4...but not running @ 2.4...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yep, you got a "Willy". If you PAID for a 1.6A, you got RIPPED, please let us know what company did this to you so we can all boycot!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
just a local comp shop----they're pretty good,said they'll
round up a 1.6a(new)and exchange it.not really their fault though---box said 1.6a

:wink: They can't fire me,slaves have to be sold !!! :wink:

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
good to hear that...maybe i should shop at that local store...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Wait a minute: the box said 1.6a? Are you telling that the official retail boxed P4 1.6a i snot always telling the truth?

I don't you what do you think guys, but a lot of people can be ripped for the Intel's profit! Because the shop pay as a 1.6a, not as a 1.6. Here the company that is doing extra money is Intel. This s*cks!

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Interesting point. Did Toestar do the install? or did the store "take it out the back" and do it? Maybe it was an Intel error, or maybe the store just got caught ripping off a customer... Either way, at least it's getting sorted out.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
You got one in a box that said 1.6a?

If yours didn't come in a box, then I would be a little suspicious. Some computer stores try to "Cut costs" by selling inferior hardware, often not telling their customer what they are doing.

There are stories of Intel Pentium K6-2s and other such out there. Unfortunately, it's a buyer beware market at times.

I'm not saying that they did it intentionaly, but it wouldn't hurt to check and make sure everything else is EXACTLY what you ordered.

Don't start a <font color=red>flame war</font color=red> while immersed in <font color=orange>gasoline</font color=orange>.