Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 800 Mhz at 85 degrees celcius :/

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2002 8:09:19 PM

Hi all,

Like the headline says, a friend of my parents has a computer bought in the late autum 1999 (tech spec. at the bottom), some time ago they asked me if would take a look upon is as it keept crashing - so I did. The fist thing I did was to install SiS sandra and run the diffrent test in that program. I had a little chok - the temp. monitor ind the motherboard/bios section said, that the cpu was around 85 degrees celcius, no wonder it keept crashing =) So I took out the MB & CPU vaccum cleaned the MB for the tiny, tiny dust particles that lay all over the board. and washed the cpu fan....without the cpu =) But the instabillity keept remaining.

I later on asked them if the ever have opened the cabinet - the instant answer was a no! They didn't wanna break anything.

My guess is that the temp. has been in this critical level for quite a long time - therefor this question: How long time, with a temp. around 80 degrees (+/-) before a old Athlon breaks, and remain permantly damaged?

Tech.:
AMD Athlon 800 Mhz
384 MB SD 100 Kingston
ASUS A7V KT133
IBM DLTA 30 GB 7200 rpm
GF 2 MX 400
SB Live! Value
Realtek 10/100 NIC
A FULLYY closed cabinet with a 250 watt PSU (Aopen)

Real men don't do backup...
...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX

More about : athlon 800 mhz degrees celcius

July 23, 2002 9:25:34 PM

It could be that the PSU is also a bad one as well BTW so I would try getting a better quality one and more W.
But back to topic, a CPU can function as long as it wants even if it crashes. Until it reaches the threshold thermal bearing, it will never burn out. Typically said, 90ºC is when the core will begin frying out. So unless it reaches that, it will just lock up/crash but will not burn.
I see no real reason to why it has such temps, but I would give it a try on your system or someone else's. Chances are the CPU itself was bad, or that the thermal pad or paste got too much old, or even the HSF is no longer effective.

BTW you said you cleaned it, wasn't there any difference in temps afterwards?

--
An AMD employee's diary: Today I kicked an Intel worker in the "Willy"! :lol: 
a c 111 à CPUs
July 24, 2002 2:28:51 AM

You said you vacuumed the motherboard, ( with a vacuum cleaner? ) you were kidding right?

You never know what you can do until you try.
Related resources
July 24, 2002 7:34:39 AM

Yes indeed - the temp. droped about 15 degrees, and then after a changed the cpu cooler/fan to a TT with silver grase it dropped additional 10 degrees, so the oprating temp. now is around 60 degrees celcius

And - YES I did clean the mb with a vacum cleaner (a small hand cleaner) BEFORE i blew the very small dust particles away from the board

...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX
a c 111 à CPUs
July 24, 2002 11:48:40 AM

You never vacuum electronic components, the static electricity from your body can destroy electronic components, the static electricity produced from air being drawn into a vacuum cleaner is 10 times greater than what your body produces, always clean electronic components with bottled or canned compressed air.

You never know what you can do until you try.
July 24, 2002 12:16:13 PM

So you replaced the fan, and put thermal greese on lowing the temp by about 15 degrees?

If the problem is still persisting you may have a voltage problem as well, but to probe the cpu some more, try lowering the bus and clock frequencys and see if it solves anything. Then ask a few questions, was there a storm, did the power go out, is the computer on all day, what type od surge protector do they have, and is the OS stable? Sandra can be a big fat liar sometime, or alteast point in the worng direction. Break the symptoms first then vacum.

-Tim

By the way good call on the vacum comment, never do that, used canned air, not compressed air, compressed air or C02 will form water dropplets.

MAN I JUST REALIZED THAT YOU SAID 85 DEGREES C, THATS JUST ABOUT BOILING POINT, 183.20000000000002 TO BE EXACT, THERE SOME SERIOUSE ISSUES THERE.

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PCcashCow on 07/24/02 08:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 24, 2002 12:42:55 PM

Right if you read the data sheets the absolute max temp for an athlon (i am assuming you have a Tbird) is 96.7C

Is it at full load when runnign at 60C?
My athlon Tbird 800 Runs at 49C idle and 56 full load. It has been running happily for over a year now. It uses the stock hsf.

BTW Believe it or not, when I had been hoovering my case out I wondered about the static build up, but then again I switch off at the wall and keep the plug in, therefore the ground is still connected and the motherboard gets grounded, therefore no static problem.

The thing I enjoy most about cleaning my case is the taking the fans out and making them spin very fast with the hoover, doesn't do them any good but hey, they still running fine.

p.s. I have never damaged and computer parts due to static, come on a friend of mine licked the contacts along a stick of ram and it still works.
July 24, 2002 5:21:40 PM

Mmmmmm, Ram. Yum

but about the vaccuming, we use one here at the shop for the really big dustballs, and it hasn't caused any problems yet. We do have a rubber end which doesn't form a static charge the way plastic does.

We also go through about 2 or 3 cans of air per week.
July 24, 2002 10:08:58 PM

Thanks to all of your - quick - replys.

I'll try to change the FSB and PCI clock (dc) a little, to check if it is that, and afterwards the PSU.

In the future I'll be a little less entusiasthic about the vacuum cleaner =) & and the static - but then again, I'd never broken anything at all because of static....

...real men cry ALOT!

Linux RoxX
!