CNN, Intel accelerating release of 2.8 and 3.0 Ghz

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/07/23/intel.pentium.4.reut/index.html
" target="_new">http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/07/23/intel.pentium.4.reut/index.html
</A>

Saw this on CNN's site this morning, more good news on steady progress=) The rumors that were posted here about big delays evidently were quite false.

Here's a small quote fom the article:
"On a conference call with analysts last week, Intel said it was on track to roll out the 3.0 gigahertz Pentium 4 by the end of the year. But continued manufacturing efficiencies are allowing it to pull in its introduction, the source said. "

So they're doing better than expected manufacturing wise not worse.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 07/24/02 11:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
They are most likely products of the Prescott and the Ltanium chipsets. These preoccess are the result of Amd and Intels rights for the 64-bit market. AMD will soon follow with the due in 2003 Sledgehammer prosessors.

-Pretty much the fight goes on ...

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller.

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
hmm i wonder, checking pricewatch today i see there's a intel 2.53GHz and an AMD XP2200 (1.8GHz). if my math serves me well, that's over 700MHz lead. not that big a deal you say? well, if the news is correct for intel p4 3.0GHz by years end.. i doubt AMD got much more than 2.0GHz (hammer or no hammer). that's a 1.0GHz lead~!

i remember telling someone a while ago that by the time intel has a 3.0GHz cpu, AMD will have something like Hammer XP35431YB00+ (running at 2.1GHz). it's getting stoopid sad.

<font color=green> linux is free.. if your time is worthless </font color=green>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
its odvious mhz doesnt mean what it used to when a celeron 1.2 can beat a p4.

the p4 was tuned esp for high mhz ratings, thats no different than matching their ideology with a plus rating.

so a p4 can hit 3ghz, if it only runs as good as a 2.0ghz athlon (when both are released), it doesnt mean much for the p4 to be so "fast".

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A P4 at 2.4GHz runs programs at about the same speed as an XP at 2GHz. The XP rating has proven to be based on P4 performance regardles of AMD's insistance otherwise, and an XP2400+ would be 1933MHz.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Thats rigth.

AMD will's hammer will out market intel ( for atleast a second anyway) with the advent of HyperTransport. The one thing amd has over intel with the new chips it the core voltage is lower, the chips are much cooler running at higher speeds. Intel has yet to address this. The 16-32-64bit x86 chip will prove the might. as STOOPID as you may think AMD is, i dont think your are accually looking at the right specs

-tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Progress = Good. Just posted this cause it took my by surprise. I wasn't expecting to see these out so soon. Not trying to compare anything=)

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are we talking hammers yet? Or marketing? If AMD owned Porche, your next Porche would cost half as much as a Corvette, and most people would be trying to run it on 87 octane.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>