Best Socket 370 CPU For This Board?

upgradefever

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Hello All. I'm currently running a 900MHz Celeron with an Asus TUV4X with the Via Apollo Pro133T chipset. I would like to upgrade to the maximum possible processor for this board. I was looking at the PIIIs with L2 512K and 133FSB, but then I read that these are meant for servers. Could somebody please explain? And any advice as to what chip I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated!

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Pentium III 1.4 GHz is what you want.
Look there:
http://www.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/prodbref/index2.htm?iid=ipp_dlc_procp3p+prodb_512kb&

upgradefever

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Does the fact that these CPU's are meant for use in servers mean anything? Asus Tech Support informs me that the L2 256K chips are intended for desktops, and the L2 512K for servers. Should I be worried about this? Will the chip run or do I have to settle for a PIII 1.2GHz w/ 256K or a Celeron 1.4GHz w/ 256K? By the way, what would be the performance difference between those two? Can't seem to find benchmarks anywhere...

The 512k version will run just fine. With all 512k cache enabled. Although you can not turn off ecc on the cache.

I have a 1.26/512@1583 on a Asus TUSL2-C motherboard. The chip will do more but my memory can't handle it.

The celeron has a L2 cache latency of 1 and 4/way set associative memory for l2 cache.
The P3 has a 0L2 cache latency and 8/way set associative memory for the L2.
Basically the Celeron will be close to the P3 in word ,surfing, office etc....But anything intensive like gaming or video rendering.etc.. the P3 will allways win by a good margin. So if you can find them get the 1.26/512 or the 1.4/512 chips and they will run in your board.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can use the "server" chip, the only differences between that and the desktop chips is that it has twice as much cache (it performs better) and is capable of being used in dual processor machines (but this is not a requirement).

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

upgradefever

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
From what I can tell the TUSL2-C is a superior board. Did you do anything special to enable your CPU to run correctly? Extra cooling, power supply, etc.?
I like the board (TUV4X) now that I've gotten the AGP problem fixed, and don't really want to buy a new board for this chip. I'm hoping to drop in a new processor, then next time I feel like upgrading I'll start from scratch, leaving this system for my wife to use for home business, etc.
How much tweaking did you have to do to get it working?

Thanks.

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
As most of the guys here told you, the classification "server" means that its performance will be fine for servers. Because your chipset is designed for Tualatin ("Palpatin", as I call it ;-) )core, everything will be O.K. You may ask the seller if the mobo fully supports this CPU. The only thing you might be told to do is to upgrade the BIOS, but I think it's not necessary.
PIII 1.4 is claimed to be faster than PIV 1.6 or higher models. For sure, it can be overclocked fine. Your mobo will give you great opportunities to do this.

The only thing special is the 1012.007 beta bios. This only gives you the option of bios vcore changes. Nothing special needs to be done. These chips are supported right out of the box. It is basically a faster P3 with more cache and data prefetch added.

I aint signing nothing!!!

tbirdXPplus

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
um...i know u wnat the best, but condisering price, how`s the tualatin celeron 1.0A? can be overclocked to 1.33, and the cache is 256kb....good as any p3.

Be nice.

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Actually, for the money forPIII 1.4 GHz and selling the mobo, it can be bought a cheap Sock. A mobo and a Duron, which could be upgraded later.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>