Sign in with
Your question

Dumb Newbie questions

Last response: in CPUs
July 25, 2002 2:13:18 AM

Hi,

I my P4 1.8 did not come with a syringe of thermal compound as specified with the Intel manual. I bought some CompUsa thermal compound but the guy there said I don't need it because the black bottom of the heatsink is the thermal compound. (they didn't have any other thermal compound). What should I do?

Now for the really dumb question. I bought 3 case fans. Two for the front one in the rear. The 2 front are Panaflos with only 2-prongs on the adaptor. The rear one is a 4-prong Enermax adjustable. I thought the front fans should plug into the PSU and should be 4-prongs. Should I return the Panaflow fans or can I plug them into the mobo instead?

Thanks for all of the awesome advice you guys offer. I have had a fun time ordering parts and starting my assembly.
-Steve

P4 1.8A
Abit IT7
Samsung DDR 2700 512K
WD S.E. 80G
ATI 7000
TDK Velo CDRW

More about : dumb newbie questions

July 25, 2002 2:38:57 AM

If you don't overclock, the thermal compound (or thermal pad) that came with the CPU will do.

The fans can actually be connected to the mobo if the mobo provides such connectors. Otherwise you could get some adapters to connect them to the PSU directly.

I sure hope those are 512Mb of Samsung DDR memory and not 512K ;-)

BTW, no serious question is dumb. If you ask that's because you don't know the answer, and that's not dumb. Here's an example of dumbness: "My CPU got run over by a train and it doesn't work anymore. Why?"

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Oracle on 07/25/02 07:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 25, 2002 11:58:10 AM

Thanks for the help.

Errr, yes that was 512MB. Guess my DOS days when 64K ram on my 286 were showing ;=)
Related resources
July 25, 2002 12:18:13 PM

No sweat!
I remember a guy who once said, "640K ought to be enough for everybody!" If I do recall correctly, I believe it was some dude called W.H. Gates!

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2002 12:23:09 PM

Quote:
Now for the really dumb question.

yup it is.

i've plugged my home blower to my case ... dunno what happen ... that works?!?
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2002 12:57:34 PM

The stock thermal interface should be good for standard speed and even moderate overclocks with that CPU, I wouldn't be surprized at all if the CPU hits 2.4GHz/133MHz FSB using the stock stuff.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 25, 2002 11:51:38 PM

Since we're on the subject of thermal compound, would I use ASIII for a video card GPU cooler/RAM sinks? I was thinking of replacing the usually not so great stuff with some better stuff, like ASIII. I'd need it for the CPU HSF anyways. Or do I use some thermak glue or something? Would the GPU cooler stay on with AS3?

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2002 12:51:51 AM

Most video card sinks have clips, most video cars have holes for the clips, you would use ASIII with good results with a cliped on heatsink.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>
July 26, 2002 12:58:12 AM

Ok, what about RAM sinks?

a b à CPUs
July 26, 2002 4:55:07 AM

You wouldn't want to know what I use for gluing sinks on!

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>
July 26, 2002 11:29:16 PM

Ummm... glue? :tongue:

July 27, 2002 12:00:52 AM

as I remember only thermal compound "adhesives" will permanently attach your CPU or GPU core to their heatsink. You'll need a videocard that has hols to hold the HSF in place when using thermal compound. On some videocards like the radeon 8500 that doesn't come with holes so you have to use a thermal compound "adhesive" or glue if you may.

I've popped off the stock HSF on my radeon 8500 and cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol and acetone then I used a thermal compound adhesive to permanently attach the HSF and GPU core together since the videocard has no holes to use the pins on the HSF.
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2002 12:06:18 AM

A metal filled epoxy...named...

July 27, 2002 12:09:43 AM

That Arctic silver stuff?

:smile: Help the n00bie!! :smile:
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2002 2:21:56 AM

Nope, I use an IRON filled epoxy, guess again!

!