Dumb Newbie questions

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Hi,

I my P4 1.8 did not come with a syringe of thermal compound as specified with the Intel manual. I bought some CompUsa thermal compound but the guy there said I don't need it because the black bottom of the heatsink is the thermal compound. (they didn't have any other thermal compound). What should I do?

Now for the really dumb question. I bought 3 case fans. Two for the front one in the rear. The 2 front are Panaflos with only 2-prongs on the adaptor. The rear one is a 4-prong Enermax adjustable. I thought the front fans should plug into the PSU and should be 4-prongs. Should I return the Panaflow fans or can I plug them into the mobo instead?

Thanks for all of the awesome advice you guys offer. I have had a fun time ordering parts and starting my assembly.
-Steve

P4 1.8A
Abit IT7
Samsung DDR 2700 512K
WD S.E. 80G
ATI 7000
TDK Velo CDRW

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
If you don't overclock, the thermal compound (or thermal pad) that came with the CPU will do.

The fans can actually be connected to the mobo if the mobo provides such connectors. Otherwise you could get some adapters to connect them to the PSU directly.

I sure hope those are 512Mb of Samsung DDR memory and not 512K ;-)

BTW, no serious question is dumb. If you ask that's because you don't know the answer, and that's not dumb. Here's an example of dumbness: "My CPU got run over by a train and it doesn't work anymore. Why?"

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Oracle on 07/25/02 07:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
No sweat!
I remember a guy who once said, "640K ought to be enough for everybody!" If I do recall correctly, I believe it was some dude called W.H. Gates!

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The stock thermal interface should be good for standard speed and even moderate overclocks with that CPU, I wouldn't be surprized at all if the CPU hits 2.4GHz/133MHz FSB using the stock stuff.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Since we're on the subject of thermal compound, would I use ASIII for a video card GPU cooler/RAM sinks? I was thinking of replacing the usually not so great stuff with some better stuff, like ASIII. I'd need it for the CPU HSF anyways. Or do I use some thermak glue or something? Would the GPU cooler stay on with AS3?

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most video card sinks have clips, most video cars have holes for the clips, you would use ASIII with good results with a cliped on heatsink.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
as I remember only thermal compound "adhesives" will permanently attach your CPU or GPU core to their heatsink. You'll need a videocard that has hols to hold the HSF in place when using thermal compound. On some videocards like the radeon 8500 that doesn't come with holes so you have to use a thermal compound "adhesive" or glue if you may.

I've popped off the stock HSF on my radeon 8500 and cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol and acetone then I used a thermal compound adhesive to permanently attach the HSF and GPU core together since the videocard has no holes to use the pins on the HSF.