Windows 7 Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Hi guys and gals....

Yesterday - I finished my first build thanks to Tom's Hardware forums......

ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
AMD FX-4300 Vishera 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

I have the original Windows7 Home Premium box that I paid ~ %100 about 2 years ago - in my meaty little hands. I initially loaded it onto a Macbook Air w/ Boot Camp.

Yesterday - I loaded it into my shiny new desktop and like the good slave I am - tried to Activate it.

Besides the hex error code the dialog box pronounces:

"activation server determined that the specified product key could not be used"

Can I only use Windows 7 on one machine?????

What can I do? anyone, anyone....??

I hate to think how much of my hard earned money I have given Mr Bill all these years ;(

Solution
If its a retail copy and not an OEM copy, call the Microsoft Activation Center and validate through them. Make sure you have completely uninstalled it from the Boot Camped MBA before doing so as it is illegal to use one copy of Windows on more than one computer, regardless of brand.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012

Thanks everyone - one final question though......

If I don't want to uninstall the version of Windows 7 that have on the boot-camped MAC. Can you tell me what version of Windows 7 I should buy?
As I said, I am currently using the disks from the boot-camped version of my new machine but want to be doing things right. When I got my original disks for the MAC - I must have used a student discount because I received a box with both the 32bit and 64bit disks and it only cost around $95. When I go on Amazon it looks like for that price I can only get an OEM version? I just built my first machine (with tremendous help from the forum) and so expect many years of work on it but - if things do go wrong can I port an OEM version to my next build or not?

If someone has thoughts on how best to proceed (and maybe a link to NewEgg or Amazon for which one they would go with) - that would be great and I will finally be done with my build. I only need the 64 bit version.

Peter

bignastyid

Titan
"if things do go wrong can I port an OEM version to my next build or not? That depends, an OEM version of windows 7 no(its tied to the motherboard), an OEM version of windows 8 however can be moved. You can make 8 look likw 7.
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/software-and-web-apps/how-to-make-windows-8-look-like-windows-7-50009546/

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Thanks Guys.
I went ahead and ordered an OEM disk for Windows 7 from NewEgg. Just doesn't seem right though that one can't buy a single copy of Windows and be free to use it on one's own machines. Guess that's how Mr. Bill got to be such a philanthropist - squeezing the little guy (over and over)

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012

Guess you didn't read my thread. I bought a retail version and boot-camped it on a Mac. But when I try to use it on my new build the Activation server rejects it.

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012

Yes - I got the point a few conversations back - that is why I bought the second OEM license. Just glad that when I work on my two cars - I don't have to buy a duplicate set of snap-on tools to do it.....that would get expensive. Oh wait, this is expensive too....

You can get it to install on two machines but you have to do a call in on the second install and use the same machine. I have Windows 7 installed on two drives in the same machine. I'm going to be deleting one because I'm not using it but I agree that buying a copy of Windows you should be able to put it on a couple of computers in your own home. That's really squeezing the customer dry.
Now you see why people will try to get prated Operating System key codes.

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012

Yes - I have been waiting for that too. I have used linux on older laptops to surf the net. I have an iso image that I have used off and on - Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS. I just received my Windows 7 OEM and will reformat my new build. Do you dual boot with Linux - any tips on partitioning?
Thanks
Peter

stackman1

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012

So they limit you to a single motherboard I suppose. If my motherboard does fail - you can actually get Microsoft on the phone and allow the port?
Thanks
Peter

I have replaced motherboards , hard drives and cpus and with doing a reinstall of Windows for a replaement of the motherboard even if it's a completly different brand and model you can get them to accept your reason for reloading the OS as long as your telling them it's for one computer. You don't actually talk to a live person , it's a recording and you have to verify your install with 9sets of numbers and they give you 9sets back to enter for activation. I have done this process many times and once even talked to a live person and not once was I denied activation.

Status
Not open for further replies.