Changing hard drive type from dynAMIC TO BASIC AGAIN

nikhilmaurya1001

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
i have gone through a lot of posts on net searching for my issue but nothing helped my prob is:
1. one method says to take help of other hard disk
but i dont have any other hard disk.
2. other method using command prompt by clear command but then again i have os on that disk.

so i want to make sure that if i delete my all partition and try to reinstall windows would i be able to install it on a dynamic disk.

and i don't care about data any more...

Solution
To go dynamic back to basic you have to delete all the volumes from the disk and then use disk management and select Convert To Basic Disk.

If you are going to reinstall Windows, as you must if it is your OS drive, boot from a Windows PE CD, made like THIS using Windows AIK downloaded from HERE and run diskpart with these commands:

list disk
select disk <disknumber>
convert dynamic

Then you can do the install.

RealBeast

Titan
To go dynamic back to basic you have to delete all the volumes from the disk and then use disk management and select Convert To Basic Disk.

If you are going to reinstall Windows, as you must if it is your OS drive, boot from a Windows PE CD, made like THIS using Windows AIK downloaded from HERE and run diskpart with these commands:

list disk
select disk <disknumber>
convert dynamic

Then you can do the install.

Solution

nikhilmaurya1001

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

you have given me the best answer.I would be very thankful to you if you navigate me through all the process because i don't have much knowledge.so please help me step by step to change my disk type and reinstall windows.
thank you so much....

nikhilmaurya1001

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
i have tried to make the windows pe image but after those processes mentioned on the microsoft's site i got a folder in c drive but not any .iso file. and on the end of the page there were written"To load an application or a script into memory with Windows PE, you must create a customized Windows PE image" i tried to follow the command but i stuck at the first mount stage ,it says that current logged on user dosent have administrative privileges while i logged on using my main account. :( i am totally confused and frustrated please help me.

nikhilmaurya1001

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

one more thing i want to ask , do i need to inject drivers into the custom disk??these things are tough for me but i am still working on it.please reply quick.thank you.

nikhilmaurya1001

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

GOOD NEWS:

i have successfully made the winpe.iso file and burned it to a cd.Thank you for your support.thanks a lot.

what to do next????please reply fast.

RealBeast

Titan
You just boot from the PE disk and should get either a command prompt window or a choice of things (and choose command prompt) then use:

list disk
select disk <disknumber>
convert dynamic

disknumber = the number of the disk that you want to convert

HERE is a very good guide to all diskpart commands with syntax examples.