Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Changing hard drive type from dynAMIC TO BASIC AGAIN

Tags:
  • Command Prompt
  • Hard Drives
  • Basic
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
March 8, 2013 2:48:32 PM

i have gone through a lot of posts on net searching for my issue but nothing helped my prob is:
1. one method says to take help of other hard disk
but i dont have any other hard disk.
2. other method using command prompt by clear command but then again i have os on that disk.

so i want to make sure that if i delete my all partition and try to reinstall windows would i be able to install it on a dynamic disk.

and i don't care about data any more...

More about : changing hard drive type dynamic basic

Best solution

a c 299 $ Windows 7
March 8, 2013 4:44:18 PM

To go dynamic back to basic you have to delete all the volumes from the disk and then use disk management and select Convert To Basic Disk.

If you are going to reinstall Windows, as you must if it is your OS drive, boot from a Windows PE CD, made like THIS using Windows AIK downloaded from HERE and run diskpart with these commands:

list disk
select disk <disknumber>
convert dynamic

Then you can do the install.
Share
March 9, 2013 6:06:22 AM

RealBeast said:
To go dynamic back to basic you have to delete all the volumes from the disk and then use disk management and select Convert To Basic Disk.

If you are going to reinstall Windows, as you must if it is your OS drive, boot from a Windows PE CD, made like THIS using Windows AIK downloaded from HERE and run diskpart with these commands:

list disk
select disk <disknumber>
convert dynamic

Then you can do the install.


you have given me the best answer.I would be very thankful to you if you navigate me through all the process because i don't have much knowledge.so please help me step by step to change my disk type and reinstall windows.
thank you so much....
m
0
l
Related resources
March 9, 2013 10:36:16 AM

Best answer selected by nikhilmaurya1001.
m
0
l
March 9, 2013 11:25:40 AM

i have tried to make the windows pe image but after those processes mentioned on the microsoft's site i got a folder in c drive but not any .iso file. and on the end of the page there were written"To load an application or a script into memory with Windows PE, you must create a customized Windows PE image" i tried to follow the command but i stuck at the first mount stage ,it says that current logged on user dosent have administrative privileges while i logged on using my main account. :(  i am totally confused and frustrated please help me.
m
0
l
a c 299 $ Windows 7
March 9, 2013 12:21:41 PM

Here is a step by step guide to making a PE disk that should be easier to follow: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/132259-windows-pe-...

For some things that you do, like making the iso of the PE disk you may need to be running the deployment tools command prompt as an admin (right click run as admin to open).
m
0
l
March 9, 2013 3:31:55 PM

RealBeast said:
Here is a step by step guide to making a PE disk that should be easier to follow: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/132259-windows-pe-...

For some things that you do, like making the iso of the PE disk you may need to be running the deployment tools command prompt as an admin (right click run as admin to open).


one more thing i want to ask , do i need to inject drivers into the custom disk??these things are tough for me but i am still working on it.please reply quick.thank you.
m
0
l
a c 299 $ Windows 7
March 9, 2013 3:52:12 PM

No, I usually just build it without anything else added.
m
0
l
March 9, 2013 4:52:20 PM

RealBeast said:
No, I usually just build it without anything else added.


GOOD NEWS:

i have successfully made the winpe.iso file and burned it to a cd.Thank you for your support.thanks a lot.

what to do next????please reply fast.
m
0
l
a c 299 $ Windows 7
March 9, 2013 5:37:55 PM

You just boot from the PE disk and should get either a command prompt window or a choice of things (and choose command prompt) then use:

list disk
select disk <disknumber>
convert dynamic

disknumber = the number of the disk that you want to convert

HERE is a very good guide to all diskpart commands with syntax examples.
m
0
l
March 12, 2013 12:46:51 AM

this time im little busy.when i will have finished conversion and reinstalled windows i will let you know,till then please stay with me.thank you.
m
0
l