Sign in with
Your question

Help n00b Please

Last response: in CPUs
July 26, 2002 11:56:48 PM

Well, I'm gonna be ordering parts for a new computer in a week or 2 depending on how fast my questions can get answered :wink: and how many doubts I can have nullified...

Well, my first questions for this thread.

I'm gonna be getting a p4 1.8A with a ABIt BD7II-RAID. Now, I was planning on doing some overclocking with that setup. Now, I was wondering for all you 1.8A owners, what do you guys run your CPU at? Also, for all you CPU owners, do you use the thermal pad(icky) or some other thermal conductive goop, like ASIII? Just wanting to know, cause I want to see if it actually helps in overclocking. Thanks!!

:smile: Help the n00bie!! :smile:

More about : n00b

July 27, 2002 1:51:24 AM

Your cpu will be quite a few degrees cooler with the ASIII. The sticky pad, generally, is crap.

Your 1.8 will certainly do 2.4. Most likely it'll go higher. There's only one way to find out.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
July 27, 2002 2:08:33 AM

Ok, so ASIII would be a good choice... umm.... Yeah, I'm just wondering how the other people's 1.8As overclock as to get a basic sense as to what speeds are *average*.

Related resources
July 27, 2002 2:14:45 AM

dude, aren't u the one always compiling parts for other people's computers in this forum?

<font color=blue> "You can observe a lot just by watchin'." </font color=blue>
July 27, 2002 9:06:05 AM

Well one guy in the forums hit 2.8Ghz about 4 days ago on a 1.8A.
July 27, 2002 1:42:41 PM

Yea, but I'm a newbie at building. This is gonna be my first one. I only know what parts to get, nothing really about how to put them together. :smile: So I'm still a n00b in some ways :wink: !

July 27, 2002 1:43:29 PM

Ok, yeah, this is the stuff I wanna know!

July 27, 2002 2:29:53 PM

Ok, BTW, also, what Ti4200 would you guys suggest? (I know this isn't abou CPUs, but I was wnating to keep only 1 thread for my computer) I can only get my hands on a LeadTek, ASUS, or MSI. I was wanting to get maybe the Gainward or the ASUS Deluxe version, but I can't get them. So what do you think? I'm kinda leaning towards the LeadTek one right now.

July 27, 2002 2:33:01 PM

Mmm....Leadtek overclocks well...but i've had good luck with Asus's older Geforce cards...and the new V8240 looks pretty sweet on paper. I'm going to shoot for Asus.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
July 27, 2002 2:46:44 PM

Only noobs use the thermal pad.

Speaking of noobs, some noobs don't know to take the protective tape off the thermal pad.

Everyone else uses thermal paste/compound/grease.

By the way, in my opinion exotic compounds aren't worth the expense over ordinary thermal paste. Just keep the coating thin whatever you use.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
July 27, 2002 3:00:35 PM

Yeah, I was also looking at the ASUS. Really I don't want the MSI, cause it doesn't seem to overclock all that well and reviewers say the fan sound is annoying. I've just noticed the LeadTEk does overclock the best. I'd love to get the Ti4200 Deluxe, but no can do. I can't even find them in the US... Do you know anywhere where I can find a review of the original Ti4200 from ASUS? I've been unable to find any.

July 27, 2002 3:02:50 PM

Quote:
Only noobs use the thermal pad.

Hey!, well I'm a nood at buildng comps :tongue: . I read the instructions on Arctic Silver's website and I think I basically got it.

Quote:
in my opinion exotic compounds aren't worth the expense over ordinary thermal paste.

What do you consider *exotic*? I was just gonna get some ASIII. I was just hoping to keep the CPU's temps down a bit more than the normal thermal tape thing.

July 27, 2002 3:03:15 PM

I think THG did a review on the originial Geforce4 ti4200 in their old roundup of Geforce4 cards. The Ti4200 Deluxe is sweet though. I found one on Newegg.com, and it is priced well too. Not sure about MSI, although I like their products in general. I'd go Asus though, just to be on the safe side.

July 27, 2002 3:04:09 PM

I personally think As3 is worth the $7 you pay. Beats the heck out of thermal tape.

July 27, 2002 3:29:37 PM

Yeah, ok so you'd prefer the ASUS over the LeadTek huh? Well, I'll look into it.

BTW, I think that roundup was of Ti4400/4600 cards :frown: . Still unable to find a review.

EDIT: OK, yeah I'll get some of that ASIII stuff. I read up on a few reviews and it seems to cool 3-5 degrees C better than the thermal tape!!(under load)

:smile: Help the n00bie!! :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chuck232 on 07/27/02 01:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 27, 2002 4:04:54 PM

BTW, is the reason you like the ASUS is cause of previous personally experience? I'd really like to know how they are. Anyone have an ASUS GF4 Ti4200?

July 27, 2002 5:41:53 PM

the new asus delux [-peep-] rocks!

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
July 27, 2002 8:39:29 PM

Yeah, I had good experience using the Asus Geforce2 GTS 32mb card. Planning on either getting that or a Visiontek Geforce2 GTS-V soon for a spare computer. Going to possibly get an Asus Geforce4 V8420 for my newer computer to replace my Geforce2 Pro.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2002 10:13:21 PM

this is funny. im wondering about the same motherboard (because they are the only mbs they have a raid controller, the new i845G mbs have not). i have a good link about an overclocking review if you want...

well despite that board havent the 4:5 ratio. but it overclocks as hell from the review. :smile:

i've plugged my home blower to my case ... dunno what happen ... that works?!?
July 27, 2002 10:44:16 PM

What's new in them that the V8200 Deluxe GF3 series didn't?

Oh Chuck, all Asus Deluxe editions come with droll-making 3d glasses, and LOADS of softwares and many Video and TV ports, so it's worth the extra money if you want.

As for the 2.8GHZ guy, I am wondering if he didn't think it was AMD_Man, cuz if it was, then that isn't true cuz he has a P4 2.26GHZ.

--
The sound of determination is the echo of will...
July 27, 2002 10:44:21 PM

Quote:
<i>Matisaro says</i>

the new asus delux [-peep-] rocks!

Yes it does! :lol: 

Quote:
<i>Quetzacoatl says</i>

Yeah, I had good experience using the Asus Geforce2 GTS 32mb card. Planning on either getting that or a Visiontek Geforce2 GTS-V soon for a spare computer. Going to possibly get an Asus Geforce4 V8420 for my newer computer to replace my Geforce2 Pro.

Yeah, ASUS seems to be a good company. It's just that I'd feel better after reading some reviews. I don't doubt that it's a good card, it's just I know what the LeadTek can do and I don't know what the ASUS can do.

July 27, 2002 10:46:09 PM

Generally Asus cards were never bad OCers. The story could change but I always saw these cards at the top lists often, even with no RAM heatsinks. My Asus Ti200 can safely go to GF3 speeds, and that is with only a GPU HSF.

--
July 27, 2002 10:49:37 PM

Yeah, from the reviews I've read, it really seems great! The IT7 may have more features, but to me it's not worth the extra ~$60CDN. Plus, I have a PS/2 keyboard already, so...

Well what's the review? I'll take a look. BTW, there's no need for the 4:% ratio. Run a CPU @ 133FSB and use the 3:4 ratio. Gives you even faster RAM!! Thanks a lot!

July 27, 2002 10:51:35 PM

It's good for overclocking, but don't forget, the 3:4 ratio might also hold you back at higher FSB speeds. Still, who's to care when you've got a quasi-Pentium4 at 2.4-2.8Ghz.

July 27, 2002 10:51:55 PM

Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on a Deluxe Ti4200, the only thing is I can't find one. Plus it has 3.3ns RAM*slobber*.. mmmm....

Yeah, AMD_Man has his somewhere there. Hopefully, it won't be too hard to reach past 2.4GHz at least.. I'm aiming for ~150FSB, but that may be too ambitious. I'll see if I can at least hit 140 :smile: .

July 27, 2002 10:58:24 PM

Quote:
<i>Eden says:</i>

Generally Asus cards were never bad OCers. The story could change but I always saw these cards at the top lists often, even with no RAM heatsinks. My Asus Ti200 can safely go to GF3 speeds, and that is with only a GPU HSF.

Yeah, I really wish I could find a review somewhere!! Just to see at least.... And also, I have no clue what the cooler's like, is it powerful or weak. I'd at least like to know what it looks like :tongue: . Even the ASUS site doesn't have the card anymore. Seems like the Deluxe version is phasing it out, although I've not seen a retail one yet. :frown:

Quote:
<i>Quetzacoatl says:</i>

It's good for overclocking, but don't forget, the 3:4 ratio might also hold you back at higher FSB speeds. Still, who's to care when you've got a quasi-Pentium4 at 2.4-2.8Ghz.

That'd be why I'm getting some DDR400... mmm... I'll se how far I can go @ CAS2. BTW, I've been wondering about the latency stuff. I see DDR RAM running at CAS2, and RDRAM running at CL2. Is there a difference? And how much does latency really play into affect? I mean how much difference is there between CAS2 and CAS2.5?

July 27, 2002 11:05:51 PM

Don't forget, in the end, RDR will always have more latency than DDR. There's a small, but noticeable difference, about 2-5 percent loss of performance from Cl2.5 to Cl2. Just run some quick benches and the effects appear immediately.

July 27, 2002 11:16:34 PM

Yeah, I just didn't get the CL/CAS thing. Yeah, I'll do some benchies and see. BTW, is Sandra a good bench? I see a lot of people using it.

BTW!!! I'm an Honorary Poster!! Wahoo!!

:lol:  Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol: 
July 27, 2002 11:24:21 PM

Lol, i'm almost an old hand, 15 more posts.

Well...SiSoft can bench, but you have to take the results with some idea of what you're looking at. Pure memory performance doesn't exactly relate to performance...usually does though. Yeah, Cl and Cas are annoying when you compare them.

Oh, btw, congrats on your new title. Nice sig

July 27, 2002 11:35:31 PM

Yeah, I don't believe in those *theoretical* benches much. I'd much rather bench in something I use the comp with, like a game for example. Ahhh..... only 600 more posts to my next title upgrade :wink: :smile: ! Thanks a lot for your help BTW! I appreciate it.

July 27, 2002 11:41:07 PM

No prob man. I never trusted Sisoft much myself, even at it's debut a few years back.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2002 11:51:07 PM

yes Sandra is a good software to perform an overall system checking & test.

i was wondering between going to DDR or RDRAM but because of the price of RDRAM i will stay with my Corsair XMS3200. (the equivalent in bandwith terms is 2 sticks of PC800 128MB dual channel mounted which void later upgrades). currently the unique worthy RDRAM memory is the new 32bits RIMM4200 selling with the Asus P4T533.

for memory generally bandwith primes upon latency then i recommand you some Samsung 2700 (FSB166 ratio 4:5, FSB177 ratio 3:4, FSB133 basis) or above if you can afford it. above you can go to Corsair XMS3000 or Corsair XMS3200 but both memory are a bit more expensive.

with a 1.8A @ 2.52Ghz you have a FSB of 140Mhz & a memory FSB of 186Mhz with this motherboard. i think you can get that with Samsung or Corsair memory. moreover with the retail HSF.

the link for the review about the Abit BD7-II Raid:
<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=78544&P=1" target="_new">http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=78544&P=1...;/A>

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2002 12:06:28 AM

hehe. 1.1K posts. Congrats! :smile:

btw have you some Champ?

July 28, 2002 12:14:55 AM

Actually, I'm gonna be buying from CanadaComputers.com, and the only PC3200 they sell is the KingMax DDR400. I've read some reviews of it, and although it doesn't overclock as well as the Samsung CTL stuff, that's gonna be what I'm gonna go with. I can get some Samsung @ NCIX.com, but the stuff they sell may be the DTL stuff that doesn't overclock as well. Anyways, it'll run @ DDR400, so I'm happy.

Thanks for the review, I'll take a look at it.

July 28, 2002 12:17:06 AM

WOW 1.1K already huh? And you only joined a bit more than a month ago.

What does this mean?

Quote:
btw have you some Champ?

July 28, 2002 12:20:28 AM

Champaine!

BTW he was labdog who also had many posts as well, so it ain't so surprising.

--
July 28, 2002 12:28:19 AM

Champagne? Why would I have that?

Yeah, he spends so much time here...

July 28, 2002 12:31:03 AM

Ok, back to the original thread, help me on my new computer!! :smile:

Ok, I have a question. I've read some reviews for the BD7II-RAID, and the reviewers seem dissapointed that the mobo doesn't come with an active cooler for the chipset. Should I be worried if I'm gonna run the FSB @ 140-150? Also, if yes, would a Crystal orb be a good idea?

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2002 12:48:55 AM

oops, it was a DTL/CTL/CRC error. :smile:

btw you don't need a hsf on the northbridge for a 140-150Mhz FSB. :smile:
(go up before to 180-200)

July 28, 2002 1:00:23 AM

Ok, just wondering. Just that some people were disappointed, so I thought maybe it would be a good idea... I guess not.

July 28, 2002 1:10:54 AM

Ok, I read somewhere that after you remove the thermal pad from the stock HSF, you want to use sandpaper to smooth it down? I think it may be kinda risky to sandpaper the bottom of the HSF, but this is what I read. I think they said to use at least 600 grit sandpaper, then apply some ASIII. They said you'd get good results by doing this. Does anyone have any thoughts on that one?

July 28, 2002 4:42:38 AM

Man you really sound like you're gonna pull a lot just to OC that babe!
I won't stop you though I know that most just slapped the retail HSF right on from start and OCed, and nothing happened bad. I mean do you care if your temps are high? Your P4 is protected, and that would probably never occur (overheat), AND the HSF runs around 3000RPM which is dead silent to me!

--
July 28, 2002 5:14:26 AM

few days ago i read a review about a great Ti 4200... had default mem at 550 and could do up to 600+
either the asus or the visiontek

Asteroid 2002 NV7: The <b>REAL</b> solution to the Israel/Palistine problem!
July 28, 2002 1:41:33 PM

Meh, I just want this thing to be good. I don't want it to blow up in my face. Hmm.. on second thought, I think I'm gonna refrain from doing too much fancy stuff. I'll just use some ASIII and that's it. I guess I got kinda carried away there for a while :tongue: .

July 28, 2002 1:52:54 PM

Yeah, that would be the ASUS Ti4200 Deluxe, which I cannot find anywhere.

BTW, is putting ASIII on a CPU dangerous? I mean if I don't smooth it out really well or something, could I mess up the CPU? I'm kinda worried about that...

Ok, this may be a stupid question but, you know when you hook up the HDD and optical drives and such? Well, I was planning on using the RAID channel as a normal IDE channel (cause it's ATA133) and then I was going to slave the optical drive to my HDD with an ATA133 cable. Would this be possible and does an optical drive work on a RAID channel? Or would I have to have 2 separate channels. BTW, what does an optical drive work at? ATA33?66?100?133? I'd just like to know so I'll get some more cables if needed.

July 28, 2002 2:52:41 PM

No name brands mentioned but I've used two silver pastes and found no advantage over silicone based thermal compound, which only costs $2 at Radio Shack for about 6.5 grams. Considering this result, to me everything other than silicone-based thermal compound is exotic.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>
July 28, 2002 3:18:01 PM

Ahhh.. ok, well the only problem is, in my area, you can't really get this stuff. I'm gonna be ordering from a store called *Canadacomputers* and they only have ASIII. I don't really mind the extra couple $, and from the reviews it seems to do pretty well.

July 28, 2002 3:54:12 PM

Quote:
BTW, is putting ASIII on a CPU dangerous? I mean if I don't smooth it out really well or something, could I mess up the CPU? I'm kinda worried about that...

P4s have heatspreaders, nothing is exposed. Just dont go crazy w/ it.

I wouldnt use any of that anyway. The thermal pad is fine. A lot of people overlook the high quality of the HS&F that comes packaged w/ the Intel procs. Just as good as any aftermarket, and QUIET as anything. Another advantage over going AMD.

Anyone know the retail price of one of those stock intel coolers?

This sig runs too hot.
July 28, 2002 4:05:08 PM

Well, I'm gonna be doing some overclocking (hopefully getting to ~140 FSB at least) and I'd just like to keep it as stable as possible. I've read reviews and it seems like the ASIII keeps the core ~3-5 degrees C cooler under load.

July 28, 2002 4:05:08 PM

EDIT: Whoops, double post. Oh well, I'll put it to good use. Here's my question.

Well, I was planning on ordering parts in a weel or two, but now as I reflect, prices have not dropped at all. In fact, since I've been following the prices, the quote on my comp has actually <i><b>risen</b></i>!! Those stupid RAM prices. Anyways, I'm not gonna be getting a R9700 or anything, so is there any point for me to wait longer? Also, I've heard stuff about NV18/NV28. When should those be out? I'm not gonna get one, but maybe it'll affect the prices for the Ti4200's. What do you guys think about this? Should I wait, or just get it now?

Oh, here's what I'm looking to get right now:

P4 1.8A Northwood Retail
256MB KingMax DDR400
ABIT BD7II-RAID
60GB Maxtor 7200RPM HDD
52X CD-ROM
1.44MB Panasonic Floppy Drive
Case and 350W Enermax PSU
ASUS/LeadTek GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB
19" Trinitron from Dell

So, please tell me what you think. Remember this is my first computer that I'm gonna build, so I'm not getting anything too fancy.

:lol:  Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol:  <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chuck232 on 07/28/02 01:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!