Dual CPU setup?

john94si

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
Hey can i run a DUAL CPU setup with my processors running at different speeds?
I have 2 CPU's , an 800mhz and a matching 933mhz...
can i run them on the same motherboard? <dual processor board of course? >

I believe so.

I think though (correct me if I'm wrong folks) they will run at the speed of the slowest of the two.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

BuddyAtBzboyz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I also believe that they run at the slowest speed of the two. But I think they have to be exactly the same chip. For example you can't use a t-brd and a palmino in the same dually system I think.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
ACTUALLY....u can run 2 different AMD CPU's in the same board....they proved it with one CPU beign a T-Bird and the other being a Duron.......so im pretty sure u can run an XP in one socket and a T-Bird in the other....ALSO they DONT have to be at the same speed in AMD's case....and they'll both run and there spec'd speeds...... =) it would just be more ideal for 2 cpus of the same speed/type/core/batch stepping etc.

but in the P3's case...im almost 100% sure u CANNOT use 2 different speed CPU's in a dual setup.....and oen chip being 100MHz and the other being 133MHz FSB WOULD be another reason why....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Thank you......i was pretty sure i was =)

I remember reading an article i think it was at Ace's probably like 1 year ago on all that stuff =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

BuddyAtBzboyz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I was being serious. Knowledge is power after all. Besides if I ever get a dually board I will probably be using my current cpu with a newer one so yes I am interested.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
I think that works because the AMDs use a separate bus per cpu to the northbridge, whereas the Intel chips share one. So different FSB's won't work with P3 - you'd end up underclocking the faster one (and even then I'd be surprised if it worked nicely).

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Short but powerfull:

What about 800 being 6 times 133,33?

Greetz,
Bikeman

PS: Though it would surprise me, too, if the two CPU's (one at 800 MHz and one at 933) working together on one mobo. Though I cannot think of any reasons why not, actually, if both FSB are the same ...

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>