Crusoe prosessor??

zeexen

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
I'm planning to buy a notebook.
I found several nice laptops with a PIV 1,8Ghz or a Athlon XP 1500+ or a <font color=green>Crusoe Transmeta 5800 867Mhz??</font color=green>

Never heard if that one before.

Is it better than an Intel or an AMD

Can somebody give me some info over the Crusoe?
Should I buy this one or not?

The fastest cpu of today will be slow on the same day next year. :mad:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Crusoe is a simplified processor that uses software emulation to replace many missing hardware features. The one you are looking at is about as powerfull as a Celeron 600, but produces far less heat and uses far less energy. In a similar sized laptop, it can offer up to 1/3 longer battery life, but it's mainly used for lightweight notebooks with small batteries.

Considering that most people don't use their laptops for gaming or video editing, and that most people would either have much longer battery life or a much lighter unit, it's good for typical use.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

zeexen

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
I'll gonna use it for gaming (lan party by friends) and DVD. So then I'll need the athlon.

thanx for the info

The fastest cpu of today will be slow on the same day next year. :mad:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the P4 would be faster, that Athlon is only 1333MHz, and it's supposed to be as fast as a P4 1.5. I would go by price and configuration, picking the one with the best video hardware or the lowest price.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
You have to find a machine with fast CPU AND with fast video card. The nVidia card (the "Go" modification for laptops) is the best for gaming. As you might guess, the ATi card is the best for DVD. Don't take Savage.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Sammy answered you indeed.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>