tzgq2m

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
this is my first post so please go easy on me...

i'm looking to build a new machine for the purposes of gaming, mpeg encoding, cd/dvd duplicating, and acting as a MP3 server. i'd like some opinions on what type of processor i should be building a system around... a itanium, xeon, or p4? i'd like to stay away from athlon and stick with intel unless you can convine me otherwise. i also don't plan on overclocking unless absolutely necessary.

in case i've made a fool of myself with the question above... should i even be building a system around a cpu? would i be better off building around a specific motherboard/video card/memory configuration instead?

i would like to run both win2k and linux... so any eq needs drivers for both.

thanks for any input...

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i would go with the itanium also.

<A HREF="http://neojenova.gaming-forums.com/" target="_new">http://neojenova.gaming-forums.com/</A>
216.27.16.67:27017

tzgq2m

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
so i take it that a 64 bit itanium chip will not enhance my 32 bit gaming at all... but i'm still left to choose between the xeon or p4. which would be better for my needs?

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Your needs are BASIC to say the least for a server/gaming rig therefore ud be retarded to get the Xeon just for that....but ud be betetr off with a Dual AMD Athlon MP system for server purposes.....Only way to convice u of that is to look at some benchmarks benchamrks of the dual MP's....look at Anandtech...i find there reviews are the best....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

xanadu99

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
Look ... after all the extreme testing and looking to the future ... and screw those stupid miniport drivers of amd's ... a P-4 is the ultimate system. You won't believe how many clients gripe about what hardware and software problems they have with AMD systems. Rambus memory is far beyond the antique architecture of the amd system configuration. The software today is still 2 years behind it's capabilities ! The bus speeds and pipelines of a true P-4 ... not the celeron ... with rambus are the way to go.
We've tested them side by side and don't bend over for the AMD boys ... P-4 full system with an abit 4400 eats all the AMD's alive !!! The only reason intel uses the slower memory... P-4 strangulating chipset is the people who bought bucu slow 133 mhz. chips could'nt use them in the "TRUE P-4 "and rambus was expensive at the beginning. Gee ya don't have to overclock and fry a Intel to try to match performance ... and A water cooler on an AMD ... what a waste .. BUY AN INTEL P-4 !!!!!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Look ... after all the extreme testing and looking to the future ... and screw those stupid miniport drivers of amd's ... a P-4 is the ultimate system.
You do NOT need all these "miniport drivers" Those are installed BECASUE of certain MFG's chipsets...Like VIA...that is nto to the fault of AMD....therefore dont blame the problems on AMD.
You won't believe how many clients gripe about what hardware and software problems they have with AMD systems. Rambus memory is far beyond the antique architecture of the amd system configuration. The software today is still 2 years behind it's capabilities ! The bus speeds and pipelines of a true P-4 ... not the celeron ... with rambus are the way to go.
Your right, I don't believe you...nor will hundreds of others on this forum.......Actually I don't doubt they've had Hardware OR software problems, but again they are NOT related to the AMD CPU....the majority or problems are caused by USER ERROR....not the AMD CPU......again stop blaming AMD for these problems....ALSO Rambus is NOT far beyond the "Antique architecture of the amd system configuration" becasue obviously you don't know what your talking about....RAMBUS is not the "Intel system configuration" RAMBUS just so happens to be the TYPE of memory you CAN use on an Intel System......that doesnt means AMD's "system configuration" is Antique.....There's DDR support for BOTH users of Intel AND AMD....
We've tested them side by side and don't bend over for the AMD boys ... P-4 full system with an abit 4400 eats all the AMD's alive !!!
No ones bending over...sorry to burst your bubble.....everyone already knows that the TOP SPEED chips from each manufacturer cannot be compared...AMD does not have a chip available at this time to compete performance wise with Intel 2.53GHz chip.....therefore REALISTICALY you'd want to compare SIMILAR Chips...like a XP 2200+ Vs. P4 2.2GHz....you still gonan say the P4 system "eats all the AMD's alive !!!" ????
The only reason intel uses the slower memory... P-4 strangulating chipset is the people who bought bucu slow 133 mhz. chips could'nt use them in the "TRUE P-4 "and rambus was expensive at the beginning.
Your wrong, thats not the ONLY reason.....only Intel knows ALL the REAL reasons, therefore one can only specualte....and logically you'd think BECASUE peopel upgrading wouldnt want to buy new ram....correct...but ALSO it was meant for people on a BUDGET, but still wanted a P4...and stop calling it the "TRUE P-4" theres only 3 different forms of the P4....Willy, Northwood 400Mhz FSB and Northwood 533MHz FSB....that does NOT include the P4 based celery either.......and it was so expenisve in the begining becasue RAMBUs was not widely adopted to everyone, plsu RAMUS charges a premium to all MFG's who create RIMM's....
Gee ya don't have to overclock and fry a Intel to try to match performance ... and A water cooler on an AMD ... what a waste ..
Who said you had to match performance by overclocking? CLOCK to PR is very on par...no need to "match by overclocking" so your statement goes out the window.....obviously u cant match the top speed chips from both AMD and Intel, i already stated that......than again, that SHOULD be obvious.......and not everyone has Water cooling on there AMD systems......and AMD users are NOT the only ones who use water cooling or hell even N2....Theres many P4's out there that use it..........and there is no waste........
BUY AN INTEL P-4 !!!!!
You, are an idiot.......You sure convinced me and this whole forum now to buy a "P-4" man, its P4....not P-4...this forum is already filled enough with Intel AND AMD "fan boys, Zealots, Trolls, and Flamers" therefore we do not need another....please leave, your not welcome here....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

tzgq2m

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
"AMD does not have a chip available at this time to compete performance wise with Intel 2.53GHz chip" - from metalrocker

if this is the case... and i'm building a system right now, why would i not want to go with the p4?

also, are you people dismissing the xeon because of price? or is it really not to my advantage whatsoever to buy it. can a xeon chip be used in conjunction with rambus memory?

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
You do NOT need all these "miniport drivers" Those are installed BECASUE of certain MFG's chipsets...Like VIA...that is nto to the fault of AMD....therefore dont blame the problems on AMD.

Dual Mp use amd chipset they have ther share of trouble due to driver or the low support for AMD.

No ones bending over...sorry to burst your bubble.....everyone already knows that the TOP SPEED chips from each manufacturer cannot be compared...AMD does not have a chip available at this time to compete performance wise with Intel 2.53GHz chip.....therefore REALISTICALY you'd want to compare SIMILAR Chips...like a XP 2200+ Vs. P4 2.2GHz....you still gonan say the P4 system "eats all the AMD's alive !!!" ????

That comment from the one losing in every bench on any market.

Your wrong, thats not the ONLY reason.....only Intel knows ALL the REAL reasons, therefore one can only specualte....and logically you'd think BECASUE peopel upgrading wouldnt want to buy new ram....correct...but ALSO it was meant for people on a BUDGET, but still wanted a P4...and stop calling it the "TRUE P-4" theres only 3 different forms of the P4....Willy, Northwood 400Mhz FSB and Northwood 533MHz FSB....that does NOT include the P4 based celery either.......and it was so expenisve in the begining becasue RAMBUs was not widely adopted to everyone, plsu RAMUS charges a premium to all MFG's who create RIMM's....

False once again.

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
also, are you people dismissing the xeon because of price? or is it really not to my advantage whatsoever to buy it. can a xeon chip be used in conjunction with rambus memory?
ok, after some mockery i'll put it straight for you.
there is no way you should even consider an itanium cpu. one, it's a 64bit ONLY cpu. there is no need for it to play games and whatnot, it's not a CONSUMER market chip, i would have thought the price tag alone would have given a hint as to which market it's directed towards. there is no games or mp3 players, etc. compiled for 64bit. let alone, you can certainly buy the cpu, but what mobo you going to put it in? to the best of my knowledge, they do not sell itanium mobos.

now for xeons. noone has recommended because:
1. they are priced $250+ each.
2. there are NO single cpu mobos for xeons, only dual. so times the price of whatever xeon you want by 2 and theres your price for xeons.
3. xeon mobos cost as much if not more than 2 xeon cpus.
4. what you plan for the system isn't something that you need xeons and gb's of memory.

so, that leaves the p4. which right now is up to you which p4 chip you want to go with. a high end one or a low end and oc it.

but honestly i don't know where you came across the itanium and xeon names and didn't know their applications. do a tad more reading before asking questions and you might find you get better/serious responses.

"Hey, you think Cleveland looks a little like Budapest?"

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
ok tzgq2m.....

The reason why you WOULDNT want to go with the P4 is becasue of the price tag...but like i said, if you dont care about price...by all means go for the top model P4.....

Juin.....give me links..proff that a P4 2.2GHz chip wins every benchmarks versus a AXP 2200+.....as opposed to lets sya a 50/50 split ???
Oh..and whats was false about what I said ????

Oh and mbetea........good advice!