Is there difference between green and brown XP's?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i bought a bunch of 1800+ xp's and just noticed that half are brown and half are green. is there any significance to that?

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
the green have a spearmint flavor, while the brown have more of a carmel, or mocha if you will taste.

"Hey, you think Cleveland looks a little like Budapest?"

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
The green is the old ceramic packaging, the brown is the new organic packaging (I think, may be the other way around). The organic packaging is better. It provides better heat dissipation along with operational reliability.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The green ones are new, the brown are old.

There is no difference other than the brown ones are defacto older than the green ones(meaning older stepping as well)

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

BuddyAtBzboyz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
"The green ones are new, the brown are old.

There is no difference other than the brown ones are defacto older than the green ones(meaning older stepping as well)"

You forgot to mention purdier!

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
is this where i go to vote for the new M&M color? oh wait, wrong web page, their's no real difference besides the heat.

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

eden

Champion
Why are you stating heat making a difference in packaging?
Mat may answer this, but I highly doubt that it is even a factor here.

People, it's just a color, that's all, green for AMD's logo, yay!

--
The sound of determination is the echo of will...

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
heat can make a huge difference, especially if your using a cheap or stock fan. The hotter the cpu, the more likely your going to have problems in the future. A extreemly hot cpu can lead to slow processing and even a early/thermal death. Heat has been a issue with processors for the past few years.

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

BuddyAtBzboyz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Acually there is a differnce. The new packaging does reduce the heat of the chip.

"I hear the green ones make you horny!"

Oh and Crashman nice to see you joking around instead of telling me how I'm wrong ;)

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Ur wrong dude......the green packaging itself is the same as the brown one...its just a different colour Dye....they made them green so that they match the colour scheme of the company...honestly thats why.....

I proved it too cuz i had baught 2 1800+ chips both retail same fan and everything but one was the older Retail packaging...it had the paper box etc. and the green oen came in the clear plastic casing.....both were put on the same model MB..and both ran the exact same temp......and yes..they were both different steppings too.....

I had a link about it.....but it doesnt work anymore for some reason..i think they shut the site down...but it explained everything into detail.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

BuddyAtBzboyz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I hate to admit it but I am wrong.

http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/CCAM/amd_axp_2200.shtml

"The Athlon XP 2200+ we tested was packaged in brown organic material (scanned below). AMD will eventually produce all of their CPUs using green packaging. Don't worry if you get a brown CPU though, the color has absolutely no bearing on performance."

I incorrectly read an article saying that the brown was ceramic and the green organic, but AMD had already switched over to organic with Palomino.

eden

Champion
Yes but I read you stated that packaging affects heat, in the Green and Brown one's case, which I countered by saying that this is false.

--
The sound of determination is the echo of will...