Sign in with
Your question

Possible stupid question on AMD 1800+

Last response: in CPUs
July 28, 2002 6:36:32 AM

I'm wondering what you guys would consider to be the best model of AMD 1800+ is for gaming. I've never purchased a processor alone so I'm not even sure if there ARE different models of AMD. I apologize in advance just in case!:) 

Gaming PC in progress, suggestions welcome :) 
July 28, 2002 8:09:08 AM

Get the green one if you can.
July 29, 2002 7:37:11 AM

Athlon is not bad CPU. Anyway, for the money you'll spend for Athlon CPU, you might buy a P4 system.
It's important to buy a good mobo too. It's better to get one with Intel 845G or SiS648 chipsets. I'd advise you to grab Asus, but you may try with Soyo's newest mobo, or Gigabyte, MSI, Abit.
Equip your system with a lot of fast DDR too. It should be AT LEAST DDR266, better DDR 333, and if you could buy 512MB DDR 400, it will be great.
If you haven't got enough money, buy a bit slower CPU with stable and upgradeable mobo. Later you may change with faster CPU.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>
Related resources
July 29, 2002 11:47:18 AM

Quote:
Athlon is not bad CPU. Anyway, for the money you'll spend for Athlon CPU, you might buy a P4 system.

Yeah, with the 70$ he spends on a 1800+ he can get a whole THIRD of a 1.8a p4.

The intel system costs more, yet your advice sounded like it was equavalent, or are you advising him to get a p4 celeron?(hint: which is far slower than the 1800+)

To the origional poster, just get a retail box 1800+, it comes with a quiet good heatsink and a 3 year warranty.

couple that with a decent ddr mobo(the kr7a-raid is only 70 bucks on pricewatch, good mobo) and 512 megs of crucial ddr ram, and your set.

Take the money you saved NOT going intel and buy a nice geforce4!

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
July 29, 2002 2:49:42 PM

Quote:
Anyway, for the money you'll spend for Athlon CPU, you might buy a P4 system

P4 systems are noticably more expensive than an equalvalant AXP machine....unless you know of a dealer that sells P4's at huge discount...
this is why you buy a lower clocked P4 (1.6a for example) and overclock it to beyond 2ghz...
Quote:
It's better to get one with Intel 845G or SiS648 chipsetsp

i agree...that is if you're going the ddr route rather than the rdram route...and if you're willing to pay the extra premium for the useless graphics of the 845g...and if you can find an asus (msi, gigabyte, abit or soyo) board with the sis648 chipset.
Quote:
It should be AT LEAST DDR266, better DDR 333, and if you could buy 512MB DDR 400, it will be great

you mean a P4 can run on ddr memory slower than pc2100? :eek: 
anyways...id recommend getting at least ddr333 for a P4 system...more specifically the sis645dx or 845g chipset (which unofficially supports pc2700 speeds)...both chipsets has performance on par with an rdram equiped system.

:eek:  <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek: 
!