Has anyone tried this for our disconnect issues?

Last response: in Networking
January 15, 2005 11:42:44 PM

I think this router has a memory leak and after so many
IPs access it,
it just gives up.

I mean look, if this is traffic related then what is
happening is some bit bucket is getting full and when it
spills the router is just puking all over itself.

Try what the original poster mentions here and see if
your router goes down too.

Andy wrote:

> Hi all! :)

> Just a followup posting on a topic that's been brought
up
> a few times - including once by myself. If an MN-700 is
> sending and recieving data from a few hundred different
> IPs consistantly for a few hours, a hard freeze will
> occur. Tech support wasn't sure what was going on. They
> ended up sending a replacement router which exhibits the
> same issue. :(  I'd just made another call and the
problem
> was sent to a senior tech. They couldn't quite seem to
> figure out what was going on and suggested I return it.

> Below, I've posted parts of an email sent to Neel and
> hnb...@microsoft.com. In there, I've included a
procedure
> [...]

> domain names. (I.e., I could ping 64.233.x.x, but
> a ping for www.google.com fails.) At that point,
> pinging the router itself still works. After perhaps a
> minute or two after DHCP and DNS are lost, the router
> will clam up and can't be pinged or accessed. (All
> pings from that point on fail.)

> If the wireless computer is rebooted when the router
> is frozen, the card is able to connect to the router
> with a fine enough signal and authenticate via WEP,
> but is unable to obtain an IP. If the computer was on,
> the wireless utility says that it is connected with
> good signal strengh. Alas, an ipconfig /renew fails
> with a timeout from the DHCP server. On wired
> connections, a link light is shown, but any computers
> that were on are unable to ping the base station. If a
> wired computer is turned on after the base station has
> failed, it is unable to grab an IP.

> The only way to get everything going again is to power
> cycle the router. Once the router is power cycled, all
> network traffic works OK until the next freeze.

> The router has been updated with the most recent
> firmware - boot and runtime code 02.01.02.0590. (Edit:
> Also tested on 02.00.08.0333) The
> router logs don't seem to show anything out of the
> ordinary.

> Although I'm not the original poster (Edit: This was for
> another post on ms.public.broadbandnet.hardware), there
> were four
> questions in your original reply - will just answer
> them here as a batch, in case they might help.

> 1. Is this happening on wired or wireless connections?
> Both. :(

> 2. What kind of apps are running on the network at the
> time of the crash?
> Generally, an AIM client, a bit of web browsing, and
> an eMule client or two.

> 3. What wireless security is turned on (regardless of
> the answer to #1)?
> WEP, 128 bit.

> 4. What kind of WAN connection? If PPPoE, is idle
> timeout on?
> Cable modem.

> Clients consist of one Win2K Pro box (wireless) and
> two linux boxes (wired). Hardware version of router is
> 00.00.00.0004. On my side, I can replicate the
> conditions which cause a router freeze consistantly.
> To cause my router and (perhaps) some other MN-700s to
> freeze:

> Requirements: A cable/DSL+ net connection, an MN-700
> (HW ver 4 - don't know if that matters), a Win2K/XP (for
> eMule)
> computer hooked up wirelessly to the MN-700 (Win9x and
> ME sometimes have problems with a lot of concurrent
> connections), and a hard drive with about 40-60 gigs
> free - although the router probably will freeze before
> it gets near that.

> 1. Grab a copy of eMule.
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
> group_id=71866
> / www.emuleplus.tk / www.emule-project.net)
> 2. Setup copy number one to have a TCP and UDP
clientports
> of your choice.
> 3. Using the base station management tool, forward
> those ports to the eMule client computer.
> 3. Setup another copy of eMule (making sure, if the
> specific version of eMule you are using has such a
thing,
> the checkbox to allow multiple eMules to run at once is
> checked) using different TCP and UDP clientports of your
> choice.
> 4. Using the base station management tool, forward
> those ports to the eMule client computer.
> 5. Make sure max connections on each client are set to
> 500 or so.
> 6. Also, make sure that the upload bandwidth is capped
> for each client, if that is desired - if the upload
> speed is maxed out, downloads will have trouble... no
> way to get ACKs back.
> 7. Connect to a server in each client, making sure it
> does not report a low ID. (If you have a lowid, it
> will either disconnect you or simply report, under the
> log tab that: New clientid is xxxx, where XXXX is a
> number under 1,000,000. If you have a number over
> 1,000,000, should be all set! :)  If a low-id shows up,
> *something* isn't letting one of the four ports
> operate at it should - sometimes port forwarding needs
> a double check or a software firewall needs to be
> punched through.)
> 7. Click on Search on client one, type in Linux, (Big
> files that are really legal - boo SCO!) set min file
size
> to 600 megs, then click on
> Start. Using shift, select and start a download for
> perhaps the first one hundred files. (I know it seems
> like a lot. From what I've found a whole lot less will
> cause the router to freeze, but would think this
> should almost certainly cause such a thing.)
> 8. In eMule two, do the same, except only start to
> download one of the large files.
> 9. Wait a few hours. (Probably less than 12.)

> With any luck, the computer should still be working
> fine, but the router should be frozen. Most likely,
> this will also work on a wired connection, with only
> one eMule client, and with only 30-75 files or so. The
> above always will cause a router freeze for me,
> though.

> The only way to get the router back is to power cycle
> it.

> It would seem that there are also a bunch of other
> scenarios which might cause the same data profile.
> (Perhaps a web server which serves files under 10 megs
> a whole bunch of people... or something of that ilk.)

> Any help Neel (or anyone else might be able to provide)
> would be wonderful.

> Thanks for reading this giant post! :)

> Andy

More about : disconnect issues

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 4:16:59 AM

I didn't see this post earlier, but there is a lot of traffic coming into my
network here at home and I've never had my router crash on me. Not so much
going out, but a lot coming in. With my poor upload speed (256Kbit) it' hard
to get a lot of traffic going out. I've had peaks of 8.9Mbits coming in and
still being able to surf and send emails (35MB max size).

Your mileage may vary,

Matt