Sign in with
Your question

CPU Gone?

Last response: in CPUs
July 28, 2002 11:14:35 AM

OK people, a friend came around because he wanted me to fix his computer(see system specs below, he said all he did was put a new HDD in his computer and took off his CPU HS/Fan to make sure that the store he bought his computer from didn't rip him off.
Anyway he put it all back together turned it on and nothing happened, he has an Epox 8KHA+ and it's display just sat at FF the moment you turn on the computer and didnt cycle through all it mumbo jumbo it normally does.
I took a look at it and came to this conclusion, His CPU HS/Fan combo was made by coolermaster, there HS/Fan's come with a little square of pink thermal paste on the bottom of it which had worn extremely thin over the cpu's core. Therefore i thought he might have blown his CPU up through overheating it with no thermal compund.
This is just my thoughts could it be something else, there was a slightly odd smell in his case but it was not like a burning smell, just a wierd smell.
Thanks in advance for you help.
Specs.
AMD Atlhon XP 1700+
Epox 8KHA+ Motherboard.
Geforce 3 Ti-200
Soundblaster Live Platinum
512MB PC-2100 DDR Ram.

:eek:  <b>This is an exceptionally bas sig!</b> :eek: 

More about : cpu

July 28, 2002 12:35:02 PM

oh dear.
so you removed the HSF and put it back on without replacing the thermal pad?
u do know that those 'phase change thermal pads' are for one use only right?

u cant use them again. on first use the pad melts on heatup, forming good contact between the cpu and HSF. but if you remove the HSF the good contact is gone, and it wont work as well ever again. whats worse, if you dont put the HSF back exactly the same way it can lead to big airgaps between the offcenter hard cool thermal pad and the cpu core. bad news.

im sure there is a moral in this story somewhere....

Asteroid 2002 NV7: The <b>REAL</b> solution to the Israel/Palistine problem!
July 28, 2002 5:01:10 PM

CPU should be fine.......even though ur not supposed to re-use that pad on the bottom of the HSF....it should still work.....grab the Motherboard Book for thats board...and check what the code FF means......

and Just so you know...that pad is SUPPOSED to melt/wear very thin onto the CPU and HSF......

try removign certain components and putting them back in...maybe somethign isnt connected right...check the ram....make sure the CPU Fan header is still connected......etc. etc.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2002 7:33:04 PM

LOL, OK, try this: Remove all the drive data cables and see if it enters POST. I get the feeling when he put the drive in, he screwed up the cable directions.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>
July 29, 2002 1:00:23 AM

OK people, one person says the CPU is ok, one says the CPU is fired so who knows. Crashman, i had allready tried unplugging all of the IDE cable but it still does the same thing.
The "FF" being displayed on the Epox Means that all is OK, and it is attempting to boot, however normally this display would scroll through all sorts of numbers and letters and then stop at "FF", the display just stalls there the moment you turn the computer on.

July 29, 2002 1:05:19 AM

Ok Psyclone.....

check the RESET CMOS jumper.......see if its on RESET or NORMAL....now....if its on normal..put it on RESET..press the power button...now the board SHOULD NOT do anything...now put the jumper back to NORMAL......than try powerign it on again..ALSO make sure EVERYTHING but the CPU w/ HSF...RAM AND Video card are Unplugged.....ALSO take out the video card...and push it back nto place VERY Firmly....make sure u feel it click in...if u go slwo BUT firm it SHOULD click in TWICE.......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
July 29, 2002 1:18:20 AM

hope its not fried though and just some contact problem with some other component.

Asteroid 2002 NV7: The <b>REAL</b> solution to the Israel/Palistine problem!
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2002 2:16:04 AM

I've once seen a motherboard blown by hooking the IDE cable backwards and leaving it on for several hours. Only once have I seen this. It's too bad you don't have another board to try that CPU in!

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>
July 29, 2002 11:58:45 AM

Just to add to the discussion, you can in fact fry a chip by reusing a phased tim, it is rare, but it is possible(have seen it on the forums before).

Try booting the mobo without the cpu, does it give the nocpu signal?

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:
July 29, 2002 1:13:09 PM

Nice sig :wink:

<font color=red>Russ Gabriel</font color=red>
July 29, 2002 2:16:09 PM

check the video card.

FF means it succesfully booted.

I had the same problem. I have the abit IT7 though but it has the same debugging modual. Well anyway, I popped in the cpu and put on the fan. Had everything installed. I go and turn it on and nothing. Wouldn't turn on. Well come to find out the video card wasn't in all the way. So i pushed the video card in some more and went in all the way this time. I go and turn it on and it turns on but no screen. The debugging modual reached FF code. I turn it off and bback on ... and still nothing. Then i noticed the monitor VGA cable wasn't plugged in all the way. Plugged it in and it showed the windows boot up screen thing.

*shrugs* for you it might be something else. But ya check and make sure the vga plug is in. sounds stupid but it might not be in all the way. ya know?

good luck!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2002 2:57:18 PM

Maybe, but I've never seen it.

July 29, 2002 10:28:34 PM

For some reason that story sounds familiar.....
July 30, 2002 4:38:50 AM

Update No. 2

I placed the CPU into a different computer and it didn't boot, and that slight smell i was talking about was a hell of a lot ore obvious so i am assuming it is the CPU.
Does this sound right?
Could frying a CPU with inadequate cooling do damage to any other parts or just the CPU?
Thanks for ya time.

July 30, 2002 3:03:33 PM

Quote:
I placed the CPU into a different computer and it didn't boot, and that slight smell i was talking about was a hell of a lot ore obvious so i am assuming it is the CPU.
Does this sound right?
Could frying a CPU with inadequate cooling do damage to any other parts or just the CPU?
Thanks for ya time.

do not invest anymore time into that rig, it is fried, dead, kaput! get an RMA from AMD, consumers have rights and should be protected from companies like AMD.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
July 30, 2002 6:59:26 PM

Ignore AMDMeltdown......

Anyways, looks like you may have put your heatsink/fan on wrong the first tiem u assembled the PC and u crushed/cracked the core......does the core of the CPU look like its got chips or cracks in it now ? either way looks as if u need a new CPU if what u said is true......

July 31, 2002 12:17:29 AM

I've read AMDMeltdowns posts before and have just learned to ignore every single thing which he says.

I have had a really good look at the CPU but can see no obvious cracks or scaring, there are some burn like marks between the L1,2,3,4 etc but i was told they are meant to be there to stop overclocking and all the pictures i have seen on the web have these marks.
What i was trying to get at in my last post was that if i tell my friend to buy a new CPU could he then damage that CPU again by placing it back in gis motherboard where the other CPU Fried.

July 31, 2002 12:37:29 AM

stating the obvious, the cpu is fried my friend.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>
!