just a simple question

Jo_strummer

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
Why doesn't amd make cpu's clocked at 2.8ghz like intel, if they did their cpu would be atleasy 40% better then intels current 2.8ghz. Seems to me that they are beating around the boosh and should just puch on their hard hats and get their job done! and do it right.. sure they make nice cpu's right?... well its time to make the best cpu's, not one that out preform other cpu's that are already 6 months old.. who cares, thats the past.. we want the best, and amd has what it takes to beat out intel.. what are they waiting for? its like they have a carrot on a rope, intel just pulls them along.

why don't they take it into their hands to pull intel for a change?

it is very frustrating, either they don't want to, or they don't know how to. keep life simple, you get more sleep that way. JUST DO IT!

tbirdXPplus

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
amd`s surrent palomino core, or the morgan, t-bred just cannot clock up to 2.8G. beleive me, amd`s a-xp with 1.8G is their best shot. still, a-xp 1.8 is much better than p4 1.8

"Is Celeron good?"
"No. Celeron is bad."
LOL

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
well the real question is does the average consumer overclock their P4's? the answer is no. So what AMD really needs to do is get in touch with dell, gateway, and HP and have them sell AMD instead of P4's. That would be a smart thing to do. But to answer your question, why doesn't Toyota put 300 HP in their camery's to compete with BMW's M3's. Answer, price vs product. (a bit of extreem but the point gets across)

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

Jo_strummer

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
you either live in the computer industry, or you die.
most people that know more then a little bit about computers like amd, who doesn't like the underdog right? well it gets old. they can take over if they wanted.. what are they waiting for?... maybe its time for some new heads in their mass collective of thinkers they have, some new ideas?. heeh
anyways. this is pretty much dead since i got two llama replys..

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
"they can take over if they wanted.. what are they waiting for?..."

What do you think? They purposely put out a product that is inferior to the competitors? Theyre not "waiting" for anything. Theyre preparing the next line of processors (Hammer) right now, and then they will move on to the next line.....Thats the way it works. You think they have the ability to "one up" Intel whenever they want to? The current AXPs are the best they have to offer right now.

AXPs will never hit 2.8 ghz. I also said the t-bred might not hit 2ghz, and that was a month before it was released....So much for fanboy hype....I never bought it. I based my estimates on past pal-AXP speed incriment gains, not on past die size reductions. 66 more mhz! Woo! IMO AMD shouldve had the Hammer middle '02. I also spoke about the gap in between AXPs and Hammer.......here we are in the deadspot I talked about. Intel is releasing a 3ghz chip for x-mas, and AMD is still stuck on +2200's. T-breds inability to scale, as I stated months ago, leaves AMD w/o a true high end performance processor. We got about 6-7 more months of Intel thrashing away in the benches until Hammer debutes. Hopefully the Hammer isnt a dud, but it might be. If they release it under 2ghz, I dont care what marketing you got, PR# magic you work, it's gonna be a hard sell.

This sig runs too hot.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
they can take over if they wanted.. what are they waiting for?...
I'm sorry, but it's sad how misinformed you are. First off, AMD will never "take over" Intel if they wanted. Unless some massive failure by half the departments at Intel put the company 2 years behind in technology, Intel will never succumb to AMD. Intel's marketing, R&D, manuacturing, and almost anything you can think of is ahead of AMD's equivalent. Intel has earnings. AMD has losses. AMD has about 1 billion in cash, while Intel has 10 billion. AMD has about 3.5 billion in tangible assets, while Intel has a massive 36 billion. If AMD really pressured Intel, they'd could easily crush AMD. With their pricing power, nothing short of a major catastrophe could take down Intel.

:lol: Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol:

Cowgoesmoo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002
Not to be rude but thats a really simplistic view of how the world works. If they could do it then they would because then they would make more money and they would be happy. But they can't just hit some switch and magically produce a processor that runs at the same speed as P4's. R&D simply doesn't work like that. Especially when your budget is substancially smaller than your competitions.