p4----better cooling??

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
I asked a local comp shop if there was a better hsf for my (p4) "willy" and was told there is none.Then I read about "Thermaltake"s Volcano 7+"; which says its for the p4's also. My question is...does anyone have a "vol.7+" on their p4 sys.?And does it cool better than the stock hsf,(which only spins at 2800)seeing how they say it spins at 6800.

:wink: They can't fire me,slaves have to be sold !!! :wink:

I haven't found a heatsink that cools better than the stock Intel unit unless you put a noisy, high speed fan on it. If you don't mind the noise, the volcano 7 will provide better cooling, but do you really need it? If you're running the cpu at 1.75 volts or less, the Intel heatsink should be fine with a couple of case fans. Mine runs at 48-60 celcius, as my room temp is about 85 f.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
swiftech also make this monster heatsink for the P4 the mcx-4000 or something
check it out on their site
<A HREF="http://www.swiftnets.com" target="_new">http://www.swiftnets.com</A>

Asteroid 2002 NV7: The <b>REAL</b> solution to the Israel/Palistine problem!

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
I've talked to a lot of computer "people";and they say that 60c. is too warm for a p4. Mine runs about the same as yours---except when the kids play quake for 30 min. or so, when it runs up to 65c.(I should say that I'm running my 1.6(willy)at 1.92---and the house temps are over 30c.)I have the dual fan power sup,along with 2 case fans....and it still runs warm!!!

:wink: They can't fire me,slaves have to be sold !!! :wink:

eden

Champion
First of all, why the hell is it running at 1.92V?
Second, it's a Wilamette, Wilamettes were the hottest things around, some even more than Tbird 1.4GHZs. They were huge, power consuming and heat stations. Switching to a Northwood makes a helluva difference.

Man I dunno what the high voltage is all about with you, but you betta get it back to 1.75V.

--
The sound of determination is the echo of will...

eden

Champion
Oh well in that case, it also is normal!
High FSB PLUS the Wilamette factor (btw 2GHZ Willies were running as high as 57º, nothing to be proud of.), and the high clock of your AGP PCI components easily explains the high temps. It is a nice OC for the Wilamette core though, but if you get an NW, you easily go up to 2.4GHZ and maintain the temp as low as 40.

--
The sound of determination is the echo of will...