Don't list subfolders...

muadib

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
...Like in novell Netware systems, when someone connects to a shared folder in the network, only show subfolders in which the user has permission (antonym of Windows NT systems).

My question is: if exists any software that make the same or any configuration in Windows NT/2K/XP for occults this subfolders (without permissions) for specific users?

Thanks and excuse my poor english. Muadib

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Are you using Fat32 or NTFS?

NTFS has built in permission setting ability, much like linux.

---> <b>Press ALT-F4 for IQ test</b><---

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Hmmmm... then you need to read up on the NTFS security features... user groups, access permissions etc. I've got folders on my machine nobody can go into but me, others nobody can see but me... and one entire disk partition that's all mine.

It does work...

muadib

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
I try to explain better....
I don't speak english very well but I try to explain my situation.

In Windows NT/2K/XP using NTFS, when a user from network access to shared folder in a local machine he can see all the subfolders including some which he doesn't have permissions to enter. In fact he can't go in, but can see it.

In novell netware, the users only can see folders in which they have got permissions, this means they can enter in all that they can see. (Antonym of Windows system).

My question is if exists any software (not Novell) or configuration (in windows: like edit registry) that permit this feature in Windows systems using NTFS.

Thans Teq, I hope you know. ;)

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Oh gosh...sorry for the misunderstanding.

But now that I understand what you want to do I'm not sure how you would do that... Yes, people can still see my private folders on this computer, but they can't get into them...

Hmmmm... maybe someone else has the answer.

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
create an empty shared folder for the user. In the folder place ShortCuts to the folders they can access. All they will be able to see are the shortcuts, but the Tree View on the left will still show all the folders. Also this would mean that each user would need a folder of thier own or for the group itself.

GK

Don't mind me I'm just posting so it doesn't say I'm a newb.

TRENDING THREADS