Changing FSB on 1.8A

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Hi,

I tried to overclock unsuccessfully by upping the dram voltage to 2.8 and the cpu voltage to 1.8. The cpu wouldn't boot even with it set to 1600 (100).

Am I going about changing the FSB the right way? I can't change the FSB. Do I have a dud or am I the dud?

-Steve
P4 1.8A
Abit IT7
Samsung DDR 2700 512mb
Enermax 431W
ATI 7000 32 mb ddr

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Could you repeat please? You tried to set the CPU at 1600? How do you know it's a 1.8A and not a 1.8? What was the stock CPU voltage?

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

SteveR

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
First of all I don't really know what I am doing. Not sure on the stock voltages because I am sharing monitors right now. I think they were cpu 1.85 and dram 2.5.
The 1.8 I purchased was part#BX80532PC1800D which I thought was a 1.8A. Could you tell me how to change the FSB?

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the stock voltage for the old, poor quality Williametter processor was 1.75v. The stock voltage for the Northwoods is 1.50v I don't know of any boards that will let you reach 1.80v with the newer Northwood.

Another way to tell is the amount of cache, the Willy had 256k, the Woody has 512k.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, that IS the ONLY way! You have to turn CPU Operating Speed to MANUAL so you can access the bus frequencies in between 100 and 133! The best option there is to set CPU Operating Speed to User Define, External Clock to 133/66/33, and your DRAM RATIO to 1:1. Then raise your CPU Power Supply to 1.65v, and make sure Speed Error Hold is OFF. With any luck, your sytem will boot up and run fine at 2400MHz with exactly these settings!

Otherwise, you can rais the voltage SLIGHTLY more to make it stable, or raise the External Clock higher to overclock more, or a combination of these measures to find your highest stable speed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, did I mention that I think this board SUX because it only has 4 PCI slots, only two of which are usable for most hardware?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hey it doesn't SUCK... it has almost everything you need. Unless you have a load of PCI stuff, then you can get by easily. If all you need is a sound card, then you should be fine. Even a TV Tuner. Unless you have SCSI cards and that stuff, this board should be fine!

:lol: Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My modem shares nicely. My soundcard doesn't. So now I only have one slot left, what to do...my SCSI card. Doh! that slots shared!

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Well, I'm thinking, not oo many people have as much hardware as you do :tongue: . I mean plan it well. If it's not enough, get a BD7II RAID by all means.

:lol: Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
what I have a hard time believing is this: They don't have a keyboard controller, or mouse port, or serial ports, or even a printer port. That's 5 IRQ's they saved. So WTF can't they use those 5 IRQ's to make the slots unshared? I think it's rediculous to be forced for 8 devices on 1 IRQ when you have 5 sitting there empty. And bus mastering devices usually don't like to share!