PC Probe "Max CPU Frequency"

Novel2000

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
I just installed the PC Probe program that comes with Asus A7V333 Mobo. One of the bits of information that PC Probe provides is "Current CPU Frequency" and "Max CPU Frequency".

Does anyone know what the "Max CPU Frequency" is suppose to indicate and how this is calculated?

FYI my system has a Athlon XP 2000+ which runs at 1.667GHz standard. The "Max CPU Frequency" value indicated by PC Probe reports 1.8GHz.

My understanding is that PC Probe thinks that my Athlon can run at up to 1.8GHz....but how PC Probe arrived at this value is unclear to me.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
that is an interesting question. Lemme tell you why

I got the same chip. And guess how far I managed to overclock it? **plays theme to jeapordy** you guessed it, 1.8 gigs.
Now I know every chip will overclock differently, but I find that an odd coincidence. To answer your question. I have no idea how it arrived at that number.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

Novel2000

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
An odd coincidence indeed. Almost seems like this number is just a constant fixed value that PC Probe displays depending on the CPU you have. I haven't pushed my CPU up to 1.8Ghz yet...I've got it sitting on 1.75 Ghz for now.

I assume that yours is running stably at 1.8Ghz? Did you try going above 1.8Ghz?

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
im using water cooling first off. that helps.
But i havnt unlocked the CPU either. So my OC is via the FSB only. But yeah, its running stable at 1.801 (or some odd number like that).

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.