What if Nvidia ran Intel?

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Or: What if Nvidia ran Intel, with Mike Tyson (in his prime) as CEO?

Do you ever get the impression that Intel are akin to a particular breed of heavyweight boxer who always seem to box within themselves? They’re major league players alright and maybe even world champion but part of you wishes they’d shake of the shackles and get it on with a bit more raw aggression a la an early Tyson maybe?
It’s all very well to keep on winning on points but let’s be honest if no one ever got knocked out in boxing it would lose a lot of appeal to many. This isn’t meant to be the WWWF for god sakes but the real deal.

In step Nvidia. These guys don’t pussy about. When they step into the ring you know they’ll bite both your ears off if they have to. So ATI have been bad mouthing Nvidia’s parentage in the run up to their next fight! This is in effect round 5 let’s say of an unlimited rounds fight in the stylee of an old school bare-knuckle fight. There ain’t gonna be no points decision here and one of these contestants might just wind up being KO’d … permanently. Voodoo may have been the bookies favourites at one point but Nvidia put the hoodoo on those suckers. Nvidia got their mojo working alright, baby.

So the Nvidia boys magically find themselves at the helm of Intel, so what do they do? Well they could say, ‘Hey, we produce chipsets for AMD processors so we’d better cut them some slack’. Yeah, get real you sissy, these are real men. I only call them boys because they still have the energy of a virile young stud, not out of disrespect.
It matters not if NV30 doesn’t whip the Radeon 9700 in round one because ATI are still pros and if you’re in the ring you always have a chance at a sucker punch. Buster Douglas will confirm that. BUT, this is a bare-knuckle fight so you really gotta kill the guy just to make sure right! Also Nvidia know that ATI’s corner men ain’t so good at fixing cuts (AKA driver support).

So AMD are about to release the Clawhammer into the desktop space in the next 6 months and are more than likely about to start trading rounds with you point for point again, if you’re lucky maybe. They take a round, you win one, you share the next etc. So you’re on the back foot until at least you can get your breath back in the second half of next year when your new trainer Prescott is due in your corner. But by then they’ll have a new cuts and corner man also so it’s not looking so sweet.

What the …k do you do? Hell, you ain’t no school ground bully you’re much more than that. You let the lineage of all the champions before you seep out of your DNA and come up with a plan. Rope a Dope. Flashback to Ali in the jungle circa 1974 with James Brown and BB King on chipset support. Hell who even cares about the main meal with those guys producing the chipsets? Ha ha.
So AMD are throwing all these cannons at you and winning rounds left right and centre while you just look like you could topple at any time. But you’re still on your feet, partly held up by the will of the people in your camp like Don ‘Dell’ King for one.
After a number of rounds it starts to become plain that your opponent is running out of steam and the question is what do you have left to give as you’re way behind on points?

Well how about this? While AMD’s x86-64 was doing well enough in the 32 bit desktop space it wasn’t compelling enough at 64 bit on the desktop for people to bother to make the move. Out of the blue, after all you’d licensed x86-64 from AMD, you release a fully SMP on a single chip solution at the same time as Windows next full release, Longhorn, which by magic not only has 64 bit support for the chip but even the Home version is SMP enabled. What’s worse each processor kicks Foreman’s butt, I mean AMD’s chip into 2nd place at both 32 and 64 bit.

Then it’s simply a mater of the Justice (!!!) Department starting a massive witch hunt against you because you’ve killed your opponent and are now a monopoly. But wait your CEO is Mr M Tyson and all his best friends (sadly) are lawyers. BRING IT ON.

:) Crow

I thank God everyday for making me crazy, otherwise I’d be insane like most of the rest of ya.

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
could someone tell me what is the point of this rubbish?

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If Intel had followed nVidia tacts for the last 7 years, we would have now a Pentium 1 based CPU at 600MHz with all kinds of enhancements built on over time, with about 300 million transitors!

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Ouch! So okay my humour may not appeal to you but why so serious? Chill baby.
I’m not sure what the effects of Prozac and Jim Bean(!) are but speaking from what little memory I can still address (around 4 bit probably after all those years of acid abuse) I might suggest a nice tincture of THC might do the job for you, sir.

Have a nice one and don’t forget to fasten your seatbelt.

I thank God everyday for making me crazy, otherwise I’d be insane like most of the rest of ya.

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Haha, that was a good one :smile:

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
You call that humour :wink:

Seriously, if Nvidia ran Intel, we'd probably see Intel beating AMD to a pulp, and we'd probably have Prescott running at 4Ghz, out by now.

- - - - -
Tejas - "supposedly" the last P4 revision
[successor to Prescott]

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
You know, the only reason Nvidia is doing so well and GPU's are so complex, is that they are so very specialized. you take a CPU and it has to do so many types of different operations, it's mind boggling. But a GPU only worries about a few things by comparison. For example, in order to calculate all the gravitational effects of more than 3 bodies upon each other on a CPU, it'd take quite awhile. But some guy created a gravity chip basically where that was its only calculation and it did it very quickly. The real question isn't what if Nvidia ran Intel, but is becomming, why doesn't Intel buy Nvidia? There is no need (short of things like Seti and Cancer research, lol) for a faster than 2 ghz processor (and even that is pushing it). Gaming technology isn't progressing nearly as fast as it used to, and most of the pressure from games is pushed onto video cards. Even video compression is using video rather than cpu's for work (don't you love those 4000 video cards that have hardware compression??? :)). So Intel's simply continuing forward because it's the only thing they could do. When they got lazy, the Athlon came out. But now, they're into a pattern of miniscule competition again, so either they make better chips (which no one needs or wants to pay for) or they do something else. What to do, what to do?

Athlons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
wolverinero79:

In reference to your comments on the relative complexities of CPUs v GPUs:

It matters not how simple or complex your product is, competition is competition. Flyweights wish to dispose of their opponents just as much as heavyweights.

<< So Intel's simply continuing forward because it's the only thing they could do. When they got lazy, the Athlon came out. But now, they're into a pattern of miniscule competition again, so either they make better chips (which no one needs or wants to pay for) or they do something else. What to do, what to do?>>

What to do? What to do? You knock the fcuking opponent out. Intel are just lazily jabbing away while the rounds tick by. It matters not that most people really don’t need 3 GHz 64 bit Systems, but, if you were offered a BMW at Ford prices which would you buy when it’s time to upgrade?
The IT industry does has a problem in that most people have reached a point where there’s little reason to upgrade sooner rather than later. But when the later finally comes around isn’t there even more of a need to make sure that you product is the most compelling?