AMD hurting

Junkkyy

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Just curious to see what folks think of this article:

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-947317.html?tag=fd_top

In summary, AMD is losing market share faster than they ever have before (While intel is increasing, of course), and AMD is still bleeding money at an alarming rate.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/020717/tech_amd_earns_6.html

Also some nasty inventory woes are thrown in the mix.

Even if Hammer is a miraclous silver bullet betterthancoldfusion type technology, I wonder how sad a state AMD will be in in a few months when it is released.

It would be a real shame if AMD goes under, since competition has given us addicts much to smile about over the past 10 years.

I have to wonder how these woes and

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
you also have to think that a lot of companies have dropped amd as major chipset, dell and gateway dropped AMD all together, which those 2 are the leading sellers in pre-built computers. I don't think it has anything really to do with advertising or selling, just contracts with dell, gateway and all those other big guys ;)

but i wouldn't worry to much about it, realistically no one is doing to great in the feild of computers =(

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

svol

Champion
Well NVidia and Via wont drop AMD... the Socket A is for their chipsets the most important market... because Intel licenses are hard to get.

AMD will surfive this for sure... they can't go bankrupt that easely.

Due to the current economical depression it is forbidden to laugh at work.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
I think it's because AMD doesn't advertise enough. I hear or see an Intel commerical atleast 4 or 5 times daily, while not once have I seen or heard an AMD advertisement. They need to advertise and let people know about their product, the value and performance compared with Intel. Until then, they'll only get customers from the educated few, enthusiasts and then the people who don't know [-peep-] about PC's and buy the cheapest HP or Compaq that happens to have an AMD in it.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

svol

Champion
Yeah, AMD should advertise more although they have a small budget for that, They also should advertise that MHz speed doesn't say all.
I'm hearing more and more rumours and even AMD employees saying that there probably will be a 333MHz FSB Athlon XP... with that they can compote with Intel's top models again.

Due to the current economical depression it is forbidden to laugh at work.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by svol on 08/01/02 11:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I think it's because AMD doesn't advertise enough. I hear or see an Intel commerical atleast 4 or 5 times daily, while not once have I seen or heard an AMD advertisement.
AMD used to advertise (remember that uber-cheesy high-speed train commercial from the P3-vs-Athlon days?). The problem with that was that advertising increased the demand for Athlons to something AMD couldn't meet--they sold out very quickly thanks to their TV ad campaign.

Right now, while they're losing market share, they can't actually handle much more than 20% market share. They just don't have the production resources to do it, since they're such a (relatively) small company. So there's not much point in AMD running a high-visibility ad campaign.

<A HREF="http://skarpsey.dyndns.org/" target="_new">Skarpsey</A>

Junkkyy

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
----------------
but i wouldn't worry to much about it, realistically no one is doing to great in the feild of computers =(
----------------

Um, this little company called Intel is doing great, and making tons of money. And they are doing it at AMD's expense. Literally.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Actually, Intel isn't doing great by any means. Intel has more staying power since they are a huge company compared to AMD.

AS for Dell...Dell never sold AMD chip based systems.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
333MHz DDR. The rumor of the Athlon moving to a 166 FSB has been going around and doesn't seem to want to die. Maybe that means it's true.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I wouldn't really worry about it. I'm sure AMD has plenty more time left for it. Even though they lost some share, I'm sure they'll pick some up after Hammer. Everyone s waiting for Hammer, and as is AMD, so their t-bred and Barton isn't exactly front burner projects right now. With the absence of new/faster products and with Intel pulling out all the stops, AMD is expected to lose some market share. I'm sure Hammer will gain them back probably 2% at first. Not too much, but after a while and more people find out about it, I'm sure it'll be back to nearly the way it was before. Probably 20% for AMD and 79% for Intel and ~1% for Transmeta and VIA...

BTW, VIA may lose its chipset crown to SiS. Seems like they're really doing pretty well, especially in the P4 market.

:lol: Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol:

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Even just thinking of AMD's bankrupt makes me MAD!
I cannot imagine the "re-Intel-monopoly".
I'm a young guy but i remember 4-5 years ago and (at least in my country) there was the cpu prices really high.We haven't got any other choices but Pentium's. Then Athlon came to the market as the rival of p3.It was still very hard to find AMD cpu's and motherboards but at least we had a chance! Then all the Intel prices droped suddenly at least by 50%.
We all must to pay our debt to AMD. Without them, the future'll be very dark. So fight against the monopoly and go for AMD!

Banshee; The best ever produced card in price/performance!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tersagun on 08/01/02 11:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
AHhhh... too bad I'm not doing my part. I'm getting a P4 1.8A :tongue: . But I agree with you. Monopolies are not good. Product prices get insanely high!!

:lol: Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol:

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Then China will provide the necessary competition.

It seems that this big, once communist, country has decided to launch a major programme on CPU design. In other countries it's more or less up to each individual private company to launch programmes that are so directly profit-oriented and this puts a certain limitation on what can be accomplished, due to limited resources. But here we have a big country with "unlimited" resources deciding that they want to take the top spot regarding CPU design within a forseable number of years. It will certainly be a big challenge for Intel and AMD to compete against a whole (and big) nation. A lot of talented Chinese people are already working for companies like Intel, AMD, ATI and Nvidia so it shouldn't be difficult to get some inside information if they want to get a head start.

I think we in the other parts of the world should start to worry. To me it looks like China is overtaking more and more of the high-tech design and production made in the world.

And most of the large coorporations in the world are encouraging this process by moving manufacturing plants to China in order to be able to compete and stay in business.

We have seen this kind of thing in the past (in the case of Taiwan), but now we are talking about a very big nation, in terms of resources, that are starting to claim their piece of the cake. And when they do, it will affect the rest of the world. There will simply be a smaller piece of cake on our plate in the future. I don't think the world will be able to cope with almost 2 billion (adding India) new consumers as we know them. So we just have to tighten our belts a bit or maybe redefine the way of life.

Wonder if the current recession we are going through in most of the world has something to do with China starting to claim their piece of the cake.

<i>/Copenhagen - Clockspeed will make the difference... in the end</i> :cool:

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
amd isn't going anywhere.. even losing money quarter after quarter, it still keeps going. its's got flash and embedded ic to fall back on anyways..

honestly, i'm sick of hearing about hammer this hammer that.. hammer time! can't touch this!

what i really want is for amd to fall flat on its face cos of hammer, that would be so funny.. but highly unlikely...

amd managed to survive without athlon, it just have to do it again.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

eden

Champion
However I will be damn pissed if the Hammer isn't what it is to be. Why?
Because there was so much hype for 2 years on it, both from AMD and websites, and because AMD had the K7 introduction filled with strengh while now all we hear is bad news about it.
If Hammer does not have 20% performance over the top model from Intel at the time it comes out, then I don't know what, but this is not AMD anymore... and I would be definitly disappointed and probably may start looking on the other side, if the CPU does not sooner or later get a boost. Especially when thinking of Prescott and its better IPC, PLUS insane speed ramping.

--
The sound of determination is the echo of will...

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
you better start looking to "the other side" then. I seriously doubt Hammer will provide a 20% improvement over Northwood.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

eden

Champion
That is what pisses me off man. The K7 had such a nice debut performance, but if the other costs nearly twice the top AXPs, for only that of performance, I think the price/performance would be really less important. People would then flock to P4 Prescotts at 0.09m and OC them. That alone would destroy AMD, which I hope this time they will time it right.
Notice how Parhelia, Nforce, Itanium all had awesome speccs, but were sucky, Parhelia the most of course. Talk about sad hype!

--
The sound of determination is the echo of will...