Spellcaster paladin

Has anybody tried Practiced Spellcaster and/or Divine Spell Power in a
paladin, in order to get the most out of the paladin's spells?

Practiced Spellcaster taken at first opportunity (6th level) alone makes
divine favour almost as good as the clerics (+1 at Pal4, +2 at Pal6, +3
at Pal10), and improves shield of faith (+3 at Pal6 instead of Pal12).

Once you can divine favour at caster level 9th, a 1st-level pearl of
power is an item that gives +3 luck to attack/damage for 10 rounds
1/day. Not a bad deal for a warrior...

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> Has anybody tried Practiced Spellcaster and/or Divine Spell Power in a
> paladin, in order to get the most out of the paladin's spells?
>
> Practiced Spellcaster taken at first opportunity (6th level) alone makes
> divine favour almost as good as the clerics (+1 at Pal4, +2 at Pal6, +3
> at Pal10), and improves shield of faith (+3 at Pal6 instead of Pal12).
>
> Once you can divine favour at caster level 9th, a 1st-level pearl of
> power is an item that gives +3 luck to attack/damage for 10 rounds
> 1/day. Not a bad deal for a warrior...

Interesting. I'll check it out with my current Paladin and see what
happens.

Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
>Has anybody tried Practiced Spellcaster and/or Divine Spell Power in a
>paladin, in order to get the most out of the paladin's spells?
>
>Practiced Spellcaster taken at first opportunity (6th level) alone makes
>divine favour almost as good as the clerics (+1 at Pal4, +2 at Pal6, +3
>at Pal10), and improves shield of faith (+3 at Pal6 instead of Pal12).
>
>Once you can divine favour at caster level 9th, a 1st-level pearl of
>power is an item that gives +3 luck to attack/damage for 10 rounds
>1/day. Not a bad deal for a warrior...

It's expensive, in that Spellcraft isn't a class skill, so it'll
cost you 8 skill points to get the required 4 ranks. If you wanted
to take Practiced Spellcaster for a minor-spellcasting class that
*had* Spellcraft on its class list (Hexblade, maybe? I haven't
looked at it lately), you can take the feat as early as 1st level,
since "you possess the class".

Donald

Donald Tsang wrote:
> Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:
>
>>Has anybody tried Practiced Spellcaster and/or Divine Spell Power in a
>>paladin, in order to get the most out of the paladin's spells?
>>
>>Practiced Spellcaster taken at first opportunity (6th level) alone makes
>>divine favour almost as good as the clerics (+1 at Pal4, +2 at Pal6, +3
>>at Pal10), and improves shield of faith (+3 at Pal6 instead of Pal12).
>>
>>Once you can divine favour at caster level 9th, a 1st-level pearl of
>>power is an item that gives +3 luck to attack/damage for 10 rounds
>>1/day. Not a bad deal for a warrior...
>

> It's expensive, in that Spellcraft isn't a class skill, so it'll
> cost you 8 skill points to get the required 4 ranks. If you wanted
> to take Practiced Spellcaster for a minor-spellcasting class that
> *had* Spellcraft on its class list (Hexblade, maybe? I haven't
> looked at it lately), you can take the feat as early as 1st level,
> since "you possess the class".
>
> Donald

It would be useful for a paladin who took a PrC that didn't increase
spellcasting. If the character multiclassed in wiz or sor early before
taking paladin level, the spellcraft could already be taken care of.

Mark Blunden wrote:
> Donald Tsang wrote:
>
> > ("What's that word you keep using to shatter things, Sir Geoffrey? It
> > sounds like the Dark Speech...")
>
> What is the Dark Speech anyway? I'm about to start playing a CG Warlock with
> Baleful Utterance, but I don't have BoVD, and I've been wondering whether
> there might be a downside to using the Black Speech.
>
> At the moment, I'm picturing it as essentially equivalent to LotR's language
> of Mordor, with suitably doom-laden effects, but I'm wondering whether using
> it at an inopportune time or place (in or around a good-aligned temple, for
> instance) could have nasty repercussions.

Well, this is the first paragraph:

"There exists a language so dire, so inherently full of spite, malice,
corruption, and hatred that it is simply called the Dark Speech. This
is the secret language of evil gods, so foul and so potent that even
demons and devils refrain from its use, lest it consume them."

It continues on in this vein. I'd say it's definitely evil stuff... but
then, the power of a Warlock is in her ability to master darkness. In
the case of Baleful Utterance, just mastering a single syllable.

There's a reason Warlocks aren't looked on favourably by good folk;
most of them become corrupted by the power they wield.

Laszlo

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Mark Blunden wrote:
>> Donald Tsang wrote:
>>
>>> ("What's that word you keep using to shatter things, Sir Geoffrey?
>>> It sounds like the Dark Speech...")
>>
>> What is the Dark Speech anyway? I'm about to start playing a CG
>> Warlock with Baleful Utterance, but I don't have BoVD, and I've been
>> wondering whether there might be a downside to using the Black
>> Speech.
>>
>> At the moment, I'm picturing it as essentially equivalent to LotR's
>> language of Mordor, with suitably doom-laden effects, but I'm
>> wondering whether using it at an inopportune time or place (in or
>> around a good-aligned temple, for instance) could have nasty
>> repercussions.
>
> Well, this is the first paragraph:
>
> "There exists a language so dire, so inherently full of spite, malice,
> corruption, and hatred that it is simply called the Dark Speech. This
> is the secret language of evil gods, so foul and so potent that even
> demons and devils refrain from its use, lest it consume them."
>
> It continues on in this vein. I'd say it's definitely evil stuff...
> but then, the power of a Warlock is in her ability to master
> darkness. In the case of Baleful Utterance, just mastering a single
> syllable.
>
> There's a reason Warlocks aren't looked on favourably by good folk;
> most of them become corrupted by the power they wield.

Cool. That fits my Warlock's concept well - he's from Mulhorand in FR, and
he's taken on an essentially sacrificial role; the incarnations of the
god-king Anhur build up dark energies from the warlike side of their nature,
and the priesthood syphon off these energies and transfer them into suitable
humanoid vessels in order to prevent them from corrupting the incarnations.
About 1/3 of these vessels become corrupted by the energies and have to be
slain before they turn on their fellows, but the rest go on to become
powerful warlocks who work as semi-independent soldiers and troubleshooters
for the priesthood.

--
Mark.

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> Has anybody tried Practiced Spellcaster and/or Divine Spell Power in a
> paladin, in order to get the most out of the paladin's spells?

Thats.... Quite nice. Perhaps a bit too nice. Perhaps going the way
of Vow of Poverty & Nymphs Kiss. Where's Divine Spell Power from/
what's it do?

> Practiced Spellcaster taken at first opportunity (6th level) alone makes
> divine favour almost as good as the clerics (+1 at Pal4, +2 at Pal6, +3
> at Pal10), and improves shield of faith (+3 at Pal6 instead of Pal12).

Arg. Wish I'd discovered that feat before taking my 6th lv feat.
Unfortunately the 4 ranks is spellcraft is a bit hard for a low int
pally, especially after already having spent points at 1st-6th
elsewhere, that's another 6 levels before being able to take it which
is a loong way away, and might not be so worth it then.

> Once you can divine favour at caster level 9th, a 1st-level pearl of
> power is an item that gives +3 luck to attack/damage for 10 rounds
> 1/day. Not a bad deal for a warrior...

Wow, nice.

I wonder if it is as good for rangers?

Practiced Spellcaster is a very nice feat if you use the Prestigious
Paladin from Unearthed Arcana.

Gerald Katz

In article <1121112091.319361.177120@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
justisaur@gmail.com says...

> > Has anybody tried Practiced Spellcaster and/or Divine Spell Power in a
> > paladin, in order to get the most out of the paladin's spells?
>
> Thats.... Quite nice. Perhaps a bit too nice. Perhaps going the way
> of Vow of Poverty & Nymphs Kiss. Where's Divine Spell Power from/
> what's it do?

It's not *that* good, really.

Instead of +1 at Pal4, +2 at Pal12, +3 at Pal18, Practiced Spellcaster
boosts divine favour to +1 at Pal4, +2 at Pal6, +3 at Pal10.

Divine Spell Power actually isn't worth it, since if you take PS at 6th,
you can get DSP at 9th, which is one level before divine favour maxes
out already... and there aren't many other Pal spells that get
significantly better with a caster level boost.

BTW, DSP is from Complete Divine: you spend a turn attempt as a free
action, roll a turning check, and apply the indicated bonus/penalty to
your caster level for the next spell you cast. A turning check of 16-18
will give you a +2 bonus to your caster level, for example.

If you're worried about it in the paladin's hands, think of what a
mid/high-Cha cleric with a circlet of persuasion and this feat could do
with the 7th-level alignment "word" spells...

> > Practiced Spellcaster taken at first opportunity (6th level) alone makes
> > divine favour almost as good as the clerics (+1 at Pal4, +2 at Pal6, +3
> > at Pal10), and improves shield of faith (+3 at Pal6 instead of Pal12).
>
> Arg. Wish I'd discovered that feat before taking my 6th lv feat.
> Unfortunately the 4 ranks is spellcraft is a bit hard for a low int
> pally, especially after already having spent points at 1st-6th
> elsewhere, that's another 6 levels before being able to take it which
> is a loong way away, and might not be so worth it then.

Not sure. At Pal12, divine favour is already +2/+2. However it won't be
+3/+3 until Pal18, and with Practiced Spellcaster it's +3/+3 as soon as
Pal10. It depends if you're in the habit of casting divine favour
regularly (a few pearls of power will help).

Also, note that I made a mistake: shield of faith isn't on the paladin
spell list! Is this another 3.0->3.5 change I missed...?

So it's not as good as I thought even at 6th. But I still took it as my
6th-level feat with my paladin, because I wanted to see how it works out
in practice, and I usually like using a non-obvious tactic as a twist to
my characters.

> > Once you can divine favour at caster level 9th, a 1st-level pearl of
> > power is an item that gives +3 luck to attack/damage for 10 rounds
> > 1/day. Not a bad deal for a warrior...
>
> Wow, nice.
>
> I wonder if it is as good for rangers?

It might be even better: looking at spells that significantly improve
with caster level, resist energy is Rgr 1, barkskin and protection from
energy are Rgr 2, magic fang is Rgr 3. Also, it's nice to have
longstrider and/or darkvision last 4 hours longer, even if they don't
work differently depending on caster level.

Rangers also get more skill points than paladins, but then, they already
have many more things to spend them on, so I guess it kind of evens out.

Hm. Maybe I should check Complete Divine to see if there are any new
interesting paladin and ranger spells that have effects tied to caster
level...

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

In article <1121120841.815066.136860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
forumite@netzero.com says...

> Practiced Spellcaster is a very nice feat if you use the Prestigious
> Paladin from Unearthed Arcana.

Well... yes, but the prestige paladin is a multiclass cleric, and
Practiced Spellcaster is very nice for any multiclass full spellacaster.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr