Dell 8600 Notebook

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

Hi

2 questions:

1) Is the 8600 notebook noisy under full load? Also, is the 7200rpm
hard-drive noisy?

2) Can you use the 8600 notebook as a monitor for a desktop PC? if not, why
do you need to make it happen.

Cheers
Sharp

gringo

Hi Sharp,

8600 is not that noisy under full load. 7200 rpm drive isn't noisy either
(can get a bit warm though). I use my system mostly for a desktop
replacement so I play a lot of games and stuff - I do find Tiger Woods gets
a bit choppy at times even at low detail. All my other games run fantastic -
GTA Vice City, Half life. Nhl 2005.

As for using as a monitor for desktop pc, I can't think of a way to do
that - only monitor out not in.

Cheers!

Sharp wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2 questions:
>
> 1) Is the 8600 notebook noisy under full load? Also, is the 7200rpm
> hard-drive noisy?
>
> 2) Can you use the 8600 notebook as a monitor for a desktop PC? if
> not, why do you need to make it happen.
>

> Cheers
> Sharp
I don't see how you would attach it as a minitor but you could use RealVNC
or similar to control the PC remotely and view the PC display remotely over
your network. I do this all the time to provide remote support to my
girlfriend on her laptop and also to fiddle with my upstairs machine from
downstairs and vice versa. It works pretty well for anything except video
images as they move much too quickly for the display to keep up.