Lance: 1 Str or 1.5 Str?

When you're using a lance in one hand while mounted, do you get to use
add 1.5 Str modifier to damage?

My first guess was no, but I've seen it argued somewhere that a lance is
a two-handed weapon (despite being used in one hand at the moment) and
two-handed weapons (and also one-handed weapons used in two hands) get
to add 1.5 Str.

The reason I'm now leaning towards this interpretation is that I don't
like that a greatsword is a better weapon for a mounted warrior with
than a lance, in terms of damage output: 4d6 + 3xStr is pretty close to
3d8 + 3xStr but using Power Attack each -1 gives +4 for the greatsword
and +3 for the lance.

Sure, you could say you're using a lance in two hands, but is that even
possible IRL? I'm having trouble imagining how that would work...

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> When you're using a lance in one hand while mounted, do you get to use
> add 1.5 Str modifier to damage?
>
> My first guess was no, but I've seen it argued somewhere that a lance is
> a two-handed weapon (despite being used in one hand at the moment) and
> two-handed weapons (and also one-handed weapons used in two hands) get
> to add 1.5 Str.

Your first guess was correct. A lance gets 1.5 strength bonus if it is
used in two hands.

> The reason I'm now leaning towards this interpretation is that I don't
> like that a greatsword is a better weapon for a mounted warrior with
> than a lance, in terms of damage output: 4d6 + 3xStr is pretty close to
> 3d8 + 3xStr but using Power Attack each -1 gives +4 for the greatsword
> and +3 for the lance.

Well, the difference in damage is rather small, and with the lance, you
get one hand free (probably to hold a shield). I'd say that makes it
worth it.

Also, see below:

> Sure, you could say you're using a lance in two hands, but is that even
> possible IRL? I'm having trouble imagining how that would work...

Like so: http://www.grippingbeast.com/photos/seljuk%201.jpg

In reality, cavalry lances _were_ often used two-handed. This was known
as the Sarmatian method. Read more about it here:
http://www.cox-internet.com/kmarsh/lance.pdf

Laszlo

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> When you're using a lance in one hand while mounted, do you get to use
> add 1.5 Str modifier to damage?

No.
You get to use a shield and do double damage when charging.
That's plenty advantage.

> Sure, you could say you're using a lance in two hands, but is that even
> possible IRL? I'm having trouble imagining how that would work...

Not while charging, and a bladed thing like a naginata works better.

Silveraxe.

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:51:38 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
> scribed into the ether:
>
> >When you're using a lance in one hand while mounted, do you get to use
> >add 1.5 Str modifier to damage?
>
> Nope.
>
> >My first guess was no, but I've seen it argued somewhere that a lance is
> >a two-handed weapon (despite being used in one hand at the moment) and
> >two-handed weapons (and also one-handed weapons used in two hands) get
> >to add 1.5 Str.
>
> Ah, but you get to do mounted charges with it.

Hmm... I think all three of you have managed to miss the fact that
mounted charges, _with_ the Spirited Charge feat and the lance's double
charge damage, are already factored into Jasin's damage calculation.

Laszlo

Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote in

> When you're using a lance in one hand while mounted, do you get
> to use add 1.5 Str modifier to damage?

A footman's lance is used two-handed and so would get the 1.5 x Str;
the SRD says that a lance from the back of a charging mount deals
double damage.

"Jasin Zujovic" <jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote in message
> When you're using a lance in one hand while mounted, do you get to use
> add 1.5 Str modifier to damage?
>
> My first guess was no, but I've seen it argued somewhere that a lance is
> a two-handed weapon (despite being used in one hand at the moment) and
> two-handed weapons (and also one-handed weapons used in two hands) get
> to add 1.5 Str.

Idiot.

-Michael

<laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> Jasin Zujovic wrote:

>> Sure, you could say you're using a lance in two hands, but is that even
>> possible IRL? I'm having trouble imagining how that would work...
>
> Like so: http://www.grippingbeast.com/photos/seljuk%201.jpg
>
> In reality, cavalry lances _were_ often used two-handed. This was known
> as the Sarmatian method. Read more about it here:
> http://www.cox-internet.com/kmarsh/lance.pdf

I am *so* getting in this guy's face for ruling against me on that one.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

"Silveraxe" <avidroleplayer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Jasin Zujovic wrote:

>> Sure, you could say you're using a lance in two hands, but is that even
>> possible IRL? I'm having trouble imagining how that would work...
>
> Not while charging,

Oops!

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

On 10 Jul 2005 11:19:24 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu scribed into the
ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:51:38 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
>> scribed into the ether:
>>
>> >When you're using a lance in one hand while mounted, do you get to use
>> >add 1.5 Str modifier to damage?
>>
>> Nope.
>>
>> >My first guess was no, but I've seen it argued somewhere that a lance is
>> >a two-handed weapon (despite being used in one hand at the moment) and
>> >two-handed weapons (and also one-handed weapons used in two hands) get
>> >to add 1.5 Str.
>>
>> Ah, but you get to do mounted charges with it.
>
>Hmm... I think all three of you have managed to miss the fact that
>mounted charges, _with_ the Spirited Charge feat and the lance's double
>charge damage, are already factored into Jasin's damage calculation.

Well, maybe I clipped it out without reading it, but I didn't see a damage
calculation. If you aren't using a weapon in 2 hands, you don't get the
extra strength bonus. A human can wield a longsword 2-handed and get the
1.5 (plus the bonus power attack damage) if that's what he wants to
do...doesn't mean you get that bonus for using it one handed. Lances are an
exception in that it is even POSSIBLE to use them one-handed while mounted.

Malachias Invictus wrote:
> <laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> > Jasin Zujovic wrote:
>
> >> Sure, you could say you're using a lance in two hands, but is that even
> >> possible IRL? I'm having trouble imagining how that would work...
> >
> > Like so: http://www.grippingbeast.com/photos/seljuk%201.jpg
> >
> > In reality, cavalry lances _were_ often used two-handed. This was known
> > as the Sarmatian method. Read more about it here:
> > http://www.cox-internet.com/kmarsh/lance.pdf
>
> I am *so* getting in this guy's face for ruling against me on that one.

*grin*

Laszlo

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On 10 Jul 2005 11:19:24 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu scribed into the
> ether:
>

> >Matt Frisch wrote:
> >> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:51:38 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
> >> scribed into the ether:

> >> Nope.

> >> Ah, but you get to do mounted charges with it.
> >
> >Hmm... I think all three of you have managed to miss the fact that
> >mounted charges, _with_ the Spirited Charge feat and the lance's double
> >charge damage, are already factored into Jasin's damage calculation.
>
> Well, maybe I clipped it out without reading it, but I didn't see a damage
> calculation.

>From the original post:

"The reason I'm now leaning towards this interpretation is that I don't

like that a greatsword is a better weapon for a mounted warrior with
than a lance, in terms of damage output: 4d6 + 3xStr is pretty close to

3d8 + 3xStr but using Power Attack each -1 gives +4 for the greatsword
and +3 for the lance."

> If you aren't using a weapon in 2 hands, you don't get the
> extra strength bonus. A human can wield a longsword 2-handed and get the
> 1.5 (plus the bonus power attack damage) if that's what he wants to
> do...doesn't mean you get that bonus for using it one handed. Lances are an
> exception in that it is even POSSIBLE to use them one-handed while mounted.

Yup, correct.

Laszlo

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> When you're using a lance in one hand while mounted, do you get to use
> add 1.5 Str modifier to damage?
>
> My first guess was no, but I've seen it argued somewhere that a lance is
> a two-handed weapon (despite being used in one hand at the moment) and
> two-handed weapons (and also one-handed weapons used in two hands) get
> to add 1.5 Str.

I'd have to go with no, but it says you "can" use it as a one handed
weapon, so if you want to use 2 hands, go ahead.

> The reason I'm now leaning towards this interpretation is that I don't
> like that a greatsword is a better weapon for a mounted warrior with
> than a lance, in terms of damage output: 4d6 + 3xStr is pretty close to
> 3d8 + 3xStr but using Power Attack each -1 gives +4 for the greatsword
> and +3 for the lance.

How are you getting 4d6 for a greatsword and 3d8 for a lance? Doesn't
a lance do d8 and a greatsword 2d6? Usually you are using a lance on a
charge which makes it 2d8. And you are getting just as much on your
power attack with that lance because damage is doubled on a charge
(this gets really nasty if you decide to forgo the shield, use it 2
handed with a good str and power attack). It's also a reach weapon,
and you can use it one handed, neither of which you can do with a
greatsword. Sure you give up your extra attacks (assuming you have
any) with a lance charge, but it can be a very nasty weapon.

- Justisaur

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <1120997290.994501.11960@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu says...
>
> > > Sure, you could say you're using a lance in two hands, but is that even
> > > possible IRL? I'm having trouble imagining how that would work...
> >
> > Like so: http://www.grippingbeast.com/photos/seljuk%201.jpg
> >
> > In reality, cavalry lances _were_ often used two-handed. This was known
> > as the Sarmatian method. Read more about it here:
> > http://www.cox-internet.com/kmarsh/lance.pdf
>
> Ooh. Cool.
>
> So I went and created a 5th-level mounted paladin for a game I joined on
> Sunday and managed do deal 30 hp in one blow, without Power Attack.
> (Would've been only 27, if you hadn't posted this. :) ) Spirited Charge
> rocks (when you can use it...)
>
> I went up a level and took Practiced Spellcaster, but I'm now
> considering asking the DM to allow me to retcon it to Power Attack.
> Mmm... -1/+6 Power Attack.

Yep. Spirited Charge builds can do some very sick damage, if the stars
are aligned just right (there's enough space for the mount, and enemies
are in range with nothing blocking the charge). Unfortunately, they're
pretty specialized, and campaigns tend to have too many situations
where you can't use a mount, so it's a pretty risky build.

Laszlo

> Jasin Zujovic wrote:
>> In article <1120997290.994501.11960@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu says...

>> > Like so: http://www.grippingbeast.com/photos/seljuk%201.jpg
>> >
>> > In reality, cavalry lances _were_ often used two-handed. This was known
>> > as the Sarmatian method. Read more about it here:
>> > http://www.cox-internet.com/kmarsh/lance.pdf
>>
>> Ooh. Cool.
>>
>> So I went and created a 5th-level mounted paladin for a game I joined on
>> Sunday and managed do deal 30 hp in one blow, without Power Attack.
>> (Would've been only 27, if you hadn't posted this. :) ) Spirited Charge
>> rocks (when you can use it...)
>>
>> I went up a level and took Practiced Spellcaster, but I'm now
>> considering asking the DM to allow me to retcon it to Power Attack.
>> Mmm... -1/+6 Power Attack.
>
> Yep. Spirited Charge builds can do some very sick damage, if the stars
> are aligned just right (there's enough space for the mount, and enemies
> are in range with nothing blocking the charge). Unfortunately, they're
> pretty specialized, and campaigns tend to have too many situations
> where you can't use a mount, so it's a pretty risky build.

I was just thinking...

If you had a mounted 20th level Strength 36 [20 + 5 (Levels) + 5 (Inherent)
+ 6 (Enhancement) Half-Orc Barbarian/Fighter/Frenzied Berserker specialized
with a lance, carried two-handed, raging and frenzying (for Strength 46),
power attacking to the max, you could do [1D8 + 27(Strength) +
2(Specialization) + 80 (Power Attack)] x 3, or 3D8+327 on a mounted charge.
If you crit, that becomes 5D8+545. That'd hurt in the morning.

--

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <1121110116.654990.219970@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> justisaur@gmail.com says...
>
> > > The reason I'm now leaning towards this interpretation is that I don't
> > > like that a greatsword is a better weapon for a mounted warrior with
> > > than a lance, in terms of damage output: 4d6 + 3xStr is pretty close to
> > > 3d8 + 3xStr but using Power Attack each -1 gives +4 for the greatsword
> > > and +3 for the lance.
> >
> > How are you getting 4d6 for a greatsword and 3d8 for a lance?
>
> I wasn't explicit, but I was assuming Spirited Charge, which any serious
> mounted warrior is extremely likely to have.

Ah, that's a problem with the feat then - it makes non lances better in
comparison.

> > Doesn't
> > a lance do d8 and a greatsword 2d6? Usually you are using a lance on a
> > charge which makes it 2d8. And you are getting just as much on your
> > power attack with that lance because damage is doubled on a charge
> > (this gets really nasty if you decide to forgo the shield, use it 2
> > handed with a good str and power attack).
>
> -1/+6. Ugh.

I assume you are speaking with spirited charge again. That's +36
damage on a full power attack, without even counting strength! I'm not
sure you could get this past many DMs, at least without showing them
the article. Might be a good subject for a question to WOTC, not that
I'm terribly impressed by thier answers lately.

> > It's also a reach weapon,
> > and you can use it one handed, neither of which you can do with a
> > greatsword. Sure you give up your extra attacks (assuming you have
> > any) with a lance charge, but it can be a very nasty weapon.
>
> In two hands it can get positively ugly, yes. And after Laszlo's post
> about the Sarmatians, I'm using it that way. :)

It's funny because we had this exact question come up in game last
night, we didn't take it quite this far, because my paladin was only
using it 1 handed. He actually did more damage on his lance charge
(without power attacking) than he'd ever done before.

- Justisaur

Justisaur wrote:
> Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> > In article <1121110116.654990.219970@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > justisaur@gmail.com says...
> > > Doesn't
> > > a lance do d8 and a greatsword 2d6? Usually you are using a lance on a
> > > charge which makes it 2d8. And you are getting just as much on your
> > > power attack with that lance because damage is doubled on a charge
> > > (this gets really nasty if you decide to forgo the shield, use it 2
> > > handed with a good str and power attack).
> >
> > -1/+6. Ugh.
>
> I assume you are speaking with spirited charge again. That's +36
> damage on a full power attack, without even counting strength! I'm not
> sure you could get this past many DMs, at least without showing them
> the article. Might be a good subject for a question to WOTC, not that
> I'm terribly impressed by thier answers lately.

I really don't think there's anything to ask here... it should be
pretty clear that the RAW allows lances to be used two-handed (whether
on horseback or not).

The DM could say he can't _imagine_ a lance being used two-handed on
horseback, of course, but in that case, he's unlikely to be swayed by
the Wizards FAQ saying that the rules allow it.

> > In two hands it can get positively ugly, yes. And after Laszlo's post
> > about the Sarmatians, I'm using it that way. :)
>
> It's funny because we had this exact question come up in game last
> night, we didn't take it quite this far, because my paladin was only
> using it 1 handed. He actually did more damage on his lance charge
> (without power attacking) than he'd ever done before.

As he should.

Spirited Charge builds are another one of those things that look
broken, but really aren't. They only become overpowered if the DM isn't
strict enough about _enforcing the damn charging rules_ (which is a
very common mistake).

Laszlo

> Spirited Charge builds are another one of those things that look
> broken, but really aren't. They only become overpowered if the DM isn't
> strict enough about _enforcing the damn charging rules_ (which is a
> very common mistake).

Note that you are also failing to get a full attack.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote in

> Yep. Spirited Charge builds can do some very sick damage, if the stars
> are aligned just right (there's enough space for the mount, and
> enemies are in range with nothing blocking the charge). Unfortunately,
> they're pretty specialized, and campaigns tend to have too many
> situations where you can't use a mount, so it's a pretty risky build.

If you're worried about space for the mount, make a gnome on a wardog or
warpony. Medium-sized mount means you don't take up any more space than the
fighter on foot, and gnomes don't take a strength penalty.

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <w46dneatJJgKek_fRVn-hw@comcast.com>,
> capt_malachias@hotmail.com says...
>
> > > Spirited Charge builds are another one of those things that look
> > > broken, but really aren't. They only become overpowered if the DM isn't
> > > strict enough about _enforcing the damn charging rules_ (which is a
> > > very common mistake).
> >
> > Note that you are also failing to get a full attack.
>
> Right. Last session IMC, the dragon-mounted paladin killed Fzoul
> Chembryl in one blow, doing some 150 hp damage. Next round, Fzoul got
> resurrected by one of his cronies, only to get killed again before even
> getting to act by the drow TWF-er... despite the TWF-er often
> complaining he sometimes feel useless next to the chargemonster
> paladin.
>
> It just seems much more scary when it's one blow for 150 hp than 7 blows
> for 21 hp.

It's a lot more effective against DR.

- Justisaur

In article <djdAe.3338$BK1.2074@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
mistermichael@earthlink.net says...

> > When you're using a lance in one hand while mounted, do you get to use
> > add 1.5 Str modifier to damage?
> >
> > My first guess was no, but I've seen it argued somewhere that a lance is
> > a two-handed weapon (despite being used in one hand at the moment) and
> > two-handed weapons (and also one-handed weapons used in two hands) get
> > to add 1.5 Str.
>
> Idiot.

Pretentious git.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> When you're using a lance in one hand while mounted, do you get to use
> add 1.5 Str modifier to damage?

No. This question and answer is in the FAQ:

"You can get a host of benefits from wielding a twohanded
weapon, such as 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus on
damage (and twice your damage bonus from the Power
Attack feat) and a +4 bonus on your opposed attack roll if
someone tries to disarm you. So when is a weapon “twohanded?”
For example, a lance is a two-handed weapon,
right? But you can wield it in one hand when you’re
mounted. Since the weapons table shows that a lance is a
two-handed weapon, I get all the two-handed benefits no
matter how I wield the lance, right?"

Wrong. Table 7–5 in the Player’s Handbook lists weapons
as light, one-handed, or two-handed strictly as a matter of
convenience. These size categories are always relative to the
wielder’s size, as explained in some detail in the section on
weapon size on page 113 in the Player’s Handbook (also see
next question).
When the combat rules speak of “two-handed” weapons,
they’re referring to how the weapon is being used. A Medium
character using a Medium longsword in two hands is using a
“two-handed” weapon. The same character using a Medium
lance in one hand while mounted is using a one-handed
weapon. Light weapons are an exception. If you wield a light
weapon in two hands you get no advantage on damage (see
page 113 in the Player’s Handbook). Likewise, you always
take a –4 penalty on your opposed roll when you’re wielding a
light weapon in a disarm attempt (when someone tries to
D&D FAQ v.3.5 17 Update Version: 06/23/05
disarm you or you try to disarm someone) regardless of
whether you wield it one- or two-handed.

In article <1121110783.017355.78470@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu says...

> > > Like so: http://www.grippingbeast.com/photos/seljuk%201.jpg
> > >
> > > In reality, cavalry lances _were_ often used two-handed. This was known
> > > as the Sarmatian method. Read more about it here:
> > > http://www.cox-internet.com/kmarsh/lance.pdf
> >
> > Ooh. Cool.
> >
> > So I went and created a 5th-level mounted paladin for a game I joined on
> > Sunday and managed do deal 30 hp in one blow, without Power Attack.
> > (Would've been only 27, if you hadn't posted this. :) ) Spirited Charge
> > rocks (when you can use it...)
> >
> > I went up a level and took Practiced Spellcaster, but I'm now
> > considering asking the DM to allow me to retcon it to Power Attack.
> > Mmm... -1/+6 Power Attack.
>
> Yep. Spirited Charge builds can do some very sick damage, if the stars
> are aligned just right (there's enough space for the mount, and enemies
> are in range with nothing blocking the charge). Unfortunately, they're
> pretty specialized, and campaigns tend to have too many situations
> where you can't use a mount, so it's a pretty risky build.

I know. There have been multi-sessions stretches IMC where the paladin
didn't get to use his mount.

However, this particular DM is neither much into dungeon crawls nor into
making the players work hard for survival, so I have a better than
average chance to both get to use my mount, and have fun even if the
mount is unavailable.

Some sort of way of getting Fionna airborne will still be on my list of
priorities, of course.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr