Looking for some laptop suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojestic

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
1. What is your budget?
I would like to keep it under $1000, but I'm flexible. No $2000 computers, though.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Lightweight and not too bulky.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I'm used to 1600x900, but it's not a big deal.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. I have a gaming desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
3+ hours under higher loads would be good.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games.

Gaming is the secondary purpose of the laptop. I'd like decent framerates on medium on current games, but low would be fine. I'd like garry's mod to run smoothly, if possible.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Light video editing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500 GB is plenty.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I prefer to buy from www.newegg.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Approximately 2 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM is all I need. If all other conditions can be met for a lower price, the drive can be omitted.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I have had some bad experiences with MSI, and prefer not to deal with them. Might not sound like a great reason, but first impressions are everything, aren't they?

13. What country do you live in?
United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I have a gaming PC. This laptop is for browsing, watching shows/movies, and playing games comfortably on my couch or bed after particularly exhausting days at work.

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Few suggestions:

1 - Computers nowadays do not come with any recovery CD/DVDs. It is in a hidden hard drive partition (~12GB). So whatever computer you buy, first thing you do is burn the recovery discs (~4 DVDs). You will be glad to have them if hard drive dies. Trust me.

2 - If you are going to have the AC adapter plugged in all the time, remove the battery. That way the battery is not constantly been charged which shortens its life. Put battery back if you need to use laptop on the go.

3 - In most laptop, CPU and graphics card are NOT upgradeable. Many times I see laptop owner complaining in this forum that their game sucks and want to replace video card. Not going to happen! Make sure you get a laptop with either ATI or Nvidia graphics. Avoid Intel graphics. My friend's computer (i7 and intel graphics) will not run Diablo 3 beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.